Help identifying paint color

blwn89gt

Established Member
Can anyone tell me what the proper color or closest color would be for that defroster vent on the dash that I circled in the picture. I’ve tried searching high and low, found multiple different color names. I wound up getting both sides and the dark charcoal paint I thought it was and it’s totally wrong.
IMG_4342.JPG

Sent from my iPhone

HVACdude

Established Member

blwn89gt

Established Member
That paint is what I got from LMR and it’s not right. So either it’s off or they mislabeled it and sent me the wrong stuff. I bought them from LMR and that’s why I’m in this situation now. I painted them both and they came out a way different color, almost a tan.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

HVACdude

Established Member
That paint is what I got from LMR and it’s not right. So either it’s off or they mislabeled it and sent me the wrong stuff. I bought them from LMR and that’s why I’m in this situation now. I painted them both and they came out a way different color, almost a tan.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
wow that sucks. the problem ive had in the past is similar so i usually just replace with nos parts or the best repo. sometimes the paints even custom matched stuff just cant mimick the look 100% of the aged patina in the interiors of our cars.

blwn89gt

Established Member
wow that sucks. the problem ive had in the past is similar so i usually just replace with nos parts or the best repo. sometimes the paints even custom matched stuff just cant mimick the look 100% of the aged patina in the interiors of our cars.

It’s a totally different color, not even remotely close. I wasn’t expecting 100% perfect match and I tried like hell to find the NOS part and all I found was tan or straight black

Sent from my iPhone

blwn89gt

Established Member

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I’m going to find that paint and try it out. I wound up getting the one off eBay that was just posted, but I’ll try out that paint on the LMR ones I have.
Most auto paint stores sell the SEM stuff. I think maybe Amazon might. That picture was from 2008, so #'s might have changed.

blwn89gt

Established Member
Most auto paint stores sell the SEM stuff. I think maybe Amazon might. That picture was from 2008, so #'s might have changed.

There’s a body shop supply place I’m going to go to this week who is a SEM dealer. I haven’t seen any SEM paint in any local autozone or advance autos by me. I had seen people were saying midnight black was the color, then I seen some people said dark graphite. I’m like why is this so difficult.

Sent from my iPhone

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
There’s a body shop supply place I’m going to go to this week who is a SEM dealer. I haven’t seen any SEM paint in any local autozone or advance autos by me. I had seen people were saying midnight black was the color, then I seen some people said dark graphite. I’m like why is this so difficult.

Sent from my iPhone
Good deal, that's where I got this along with all my other auto paint product. I actually used that on a few pieces including the chin spoiler when I redid them. As you can see from that picture with the gauge, it's damn close. I sprayed with a gun only because I can paint and have a few spray guns.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I’d have to think any dash plastics would have faded after 20 years unless it lived 100% in a garage. The “perfect” match might be hard to accomplish.
Plastics are always off-gassing. My new truck windshield looks like someone smokes inside the truck, but I don’t.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
These guys might have what you need... I know it says 2007-present, but I've seen earlier mustangs come through from time to time.

blwn89gt

Established Member
Good deal, that's where I got this along with all my other auto paint product. I actually used that on a few pieces including the chin spoiler when I redid them. As you can see from that picture with the gauge, it's damn close. I sprayed with a gun only because I can paint and have a few spray guns.

I’m considering spraying the autometer cluster gauge pod I have in the picture I posted since that’s black. Yours came out good.

Sent from my iPhone

Users who are viewing this thread