Help identifying locking lug nut, lost the key!

Formula51

Established Member
It has 8 points and no markings
20170723_131755.jpg
. Anyone know the brand?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Do you have a card in your glovebox? Should say McGuard? If so it should have a number and you can call McGuard and have a new one sent. Your only other option would be to drive it to a dealer and see if they would send a tech out to the service isle they have a master kit. See which one fits give you the number then you call McGuard. Good luck had one break on my 01 Cobra and had the card. My 96 GT years ago went to a dealer because it had neither.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formula51

Established Member
I already tried hammering a socket on, but it just spun on the lug nut. Then I had to use the wet newspaper method to get the stuck socket off. I bought a lug nut removal socket, but all they had was 13/16" and it will not thread on, even beating it with a hammer. The socket I had hammered in previously was 21mm, which is larger. I'm in a pickle. No card in the glovebox so guess I will try a dealer.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Ugh, this happened to me on my old 99 Cobra, ended up having to get a tire shop to remove them, and they damaged the wheels in the process.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I hammered on a 19mm socket on my old set to get them off. Had to do it one night at the track to remove the slicks. I actually broke my key, i guess that's why they say not to use an impact gun on the locking lug nuts.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I hammered on a 19mm socket on my old set to get them off. Had to do it one night at the track to remove the slicks. I actually broke my key, i guess that's why they say not to use an impact gun on the locking lug nuts.

Damn they say that? I think it would be easier on it. I broke the one on my 01 Cobra using a breaker bar and socket.

DJAMiller

Established Member
Normally hammering a 12 point socket on it will work, Snap-On also makes a socket for removing locking lug nuts that works great. I'm pretty confident I have a key for that lug nut by the way, I'll check when I get home and see what I find.

SilverNotch

Established Member
I used the tool it has like spiral teeth inside and you hammer it on and hand crank it. It literally took 15 mins all 4.

Formula51

Established Member
Normally hammering a 12 point socket on it will work, Snap-On also makes a socket for removing locking lug nuts that works great. I'm pretty confident I have a key for that lug nut by the way, I'll check when I get home and see what I find.

That would be awesome! Please let me know.

Formula51

Established Member
I used the tool it has like spiral teeth inside and you hammer it on and hand crank it. It literally took 15 mins all 4.

Do you know what it was called or who makes it? The one I tried had threads instead of teeth and was just a little too small to fit in the lug nut.

Formula51

Established Member
Unfortunately those bolt-out extractor sockets do not go big enough. All the ones I looked at only go up to 19mm or 3/4". I need 21mm or 13/16" to fit on my lug nut.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
This happened to my on my old cobra.. Couldn't find one at a dealership. Tried local tire shops that had random ones left behind by customers.. No luck. ended up having to get it cut off for like 50 bucks.

Lost the key. Since then I promised myself I would never put another one on my car.

Users who are viewing this thread