HELP! How do you burp intercooler system?

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I just wrapped up an install of the intercooler reservior tank that goes in the factory battery location. All is well except that there is no visible flow in the system with the pump running. The car is off...I'm jumping the relay to get the pump working and test the system. With the tank door off I see no flow when the pump is on. I've tried pulling the hoses off the intercooler fittings and poured fluid in these hoses until full, then reconnected them. Still no flow. What now? I'm afraid to drive the car in this condition. Please help!
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
take the line that the coolane flows back in and put it in your mouth and blow hard and pull it away, and keep trying that...

*warning you wil get a mouthful of coolent if you dont watch out, just dont swalllow*

or the fastest solution get a water hose and put the tip of the hose to the line that pulls the coolant out of the tank, and turn the water on (with the pump running) and it should be a instant fix, after it starts, just let it cycle for about 10-15 min.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Thanks for the quick suggestions! I tried some low pressure air in the tank outlet line (not going to try the manual version), and that didn't seem to solve it. I'm going to try the water hose now...

Biggieman

03-04 parts for sale
Established Member
there is a "how to" thread for this floating around here somewhere.
can someone post it up? im gonna need it too!

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
hmmm that's funny i just did two H/E in one night on two cars, and i just filled the reservoir back up and jumped the pump and it worked fine. wonder what the difference is?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Sometimes it will start right up, sometimes not. I recommend after you get the system up and running that you bleed any additional air out of the system by opening the valve on top of the (aftermarket) H/E while it's pumping. I don't think the stock H/E has a bleeder valve but you could probably loosen the upper hose a little and bleed some air out of the where it meets the neck though. I was surprised how much air was still in my system even though it appeared to function just fine.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I don't think any air got into the H/E. The lowest break in the system during the reservior installation was still higher than the H/E elevation. Most of the air was in the intercooler and the line btw the pump and the intercooler. The pump was air bound. Using the hose did the trick though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yippee! Glad you got the problem worked out so quickly and easily. Gotta love these forums! :)

sprusak1

G.R.E.A.D tuned
Established Member
i had to drop the pump and submerge it in a bucket of water to get it flowing again. But it was not working (unplugged) for god knows how long before I bought the car.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Well......I've been full circle on this one and was fortunate that the first 7-8 times that I was messing with this system, the pump cavitated coolant right away. Haven't been so lucky lately.

The only solution that has consistenly worked requires using the pump relay mod to get the pump going with the car off. Remove the upper reservoir hose where it clamps to the reservoir. Then you just suck on the hose in an attempt to "pull" the coolant through the pump to get it cavitating again. Be careful with getting antifreeze in your mouth........Nasty business but it's worked the last 3 times I've run into a problem.

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
Well......I've been full circle on this one and was fortunate that the first 7-8 times that I was messing with this system, the pump cavitated coolant right away. Haven't been so lucky lately.

The only solution that has consistenly worked requires using the pump relay mod to get the pump going with the car off. Remove the upper reservoir hose where it clamps to the reservoir. Then you just suck on the hose in an attempt to "pull" the coolant through the pump to get it cavitating again. Be careful with getting antifreeze in your mouth........Nasty business but it's worked the last 3 times I've run into a problem.

For the record, im pretty sure dwight was the one who taught me about the water hose method.

Users who are viewing this thread