Help help engine flooded with water

rich01svt

Established Member
I recently drove my cobra in the rain got caught in a deep puddle car stalled and would not crank I checked water in the oil and on spark plugs. I was wondering what places around Durham NC could I take my car for an insurance claim I have 100 miles of free towing with AAA please help and thanks.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
If you hydro-locked it, you may have bent rods and crank. I would remove the spark plugs and turn it over to get the water out and change the oil. See how it runs. Document and take photos in case you do have to make an insurance claim. What is your deductible?

Good luck.

rich01svt

Established Member
Plugs have been removed and turn it over reinstalled plugs turn over would not crank I also took pictures as well and I have a $500 dec

Last edited:

rich01svt

Established Member
It was so much water to the point that even after I pulled the plugs turn it over to get the water out it was still water coming out and yes my ECU fuse keeps blowing as well it's such a mess its to the point I'm taking pics and hope my insurance covers

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It was so much water to the point that even after I pulled the plugs turn it over to get the water out it was still water coming out and yes my ECU fuse keeps blowing as well it's such a mess its to the point I'm taking pics and hope my insurance covers

There's a good chance the car will be a total loss.

MKMotorsport

Established Member
Seen guys do this 4 wheeling (my other car hobby). If the motor actually stopped running in the water/because of the water you likely bent some rods.

rich01svt

Established Member
Cobra is not totaled

I just got a call from my insurance my car is still worth some $$$ so once everything clears investigation etc I can get the vehicle repaired. But my question that I will have for them as well is why are they not giving me an option to use my own repair service they can mail the check to the shop I choose I have no intentions to run with the money but from the 5200-6300 dollars estimate I could call PCM or fastlane and see if the could swap a 03 motor or rebuild to my specs or something I have never heard of Jasper engines . any thoughts?

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I just got a call from my insurance my car is still worth some $$$ so once everything clears investigation etc I can get the vehicle repaired. But my question that I will have for them as well is why are they not giving me an option to use my own repair service they can mail the check to the shop I choose I have no intentions to run with the money but from the 5200-6300 dollars estimate I could call PCM or fastlane and see if the could swap a 03 motor or rebuild to my specs or something I have never heard of Jasper engines . any thoughts?

Your insurance likely requires that the work be completed at an approved repair facility. Who is your insurance company?

rich01svt

Established Member
Geico I can take it to anyone it even says on their website I have the right to take it to any repair shop of my choice I just have to speak up I guess

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Read your policy. I worked for a major insurer in another life. Unless it specifically says that you must have the car repaired at THEIR choice of facility, believe me, you do NOT have to have it repaired there. The catch is that they will only pay as much as it may cost at their choice of shop and you are stuck with the rest. There are good shops out there and not so good shops out there. I would really work to steer insureds away from known bad shops. Get an estimate from YOUR choice of shop - with replacing the engine and without re-placing the engine. BTW, insurance will only usually pay for a used engine - one with as much or few miles on it than yours. If you want a NEW engine, you will have to pay the difference. Just understand their point of view - you had an engine with X thousand miles on it and that is what they are liable for.

Again, READ your policy so you can negotiate from a point of knowledge. Remember, tax is part of the settlement so after you all agree on the amount, THEN add in the sales tax. In some states there is sales tax on both labor and parts; in other states, it's just on parts.

Good luck and, whatever you do, work WITH the adjuster and do NOT piss him off. I know. Don't raise your voice but always refer to what the policy says. They DO know the policy.

Keep us informed.

rich01svt

Established Member
××update update
Sorry to keep alot of people waiting been working hard the last year due to a long battle with gieco. but car is pretty much finishing up

Attachments

• IMG_74451.jpg
    IMG_74451.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 191

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
You will end up in the same boat , if you don't address that huge hole in the right fender apron.
I have never seen a huge hole cut there , and no fender liner .

rich01svt

Established Member
You will end up in the same boat , if you don't address that huge hole in the right fender apron.
I have never seen a huge hole cut there , and no fender liner .
Yes i have been made aware of it i almost teared up at how much i have found out about my car once it was taken apart but untill all issues are fixed it will only driven on good days etc..

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Hey, the ride sounds good! Looks like it worked out for you - even if it sounds like there were some headaches with Geico. Geico used to actually sit out at certain drag strips and run plates to see if the cars running were insured by them. Not a nice thing to do!

Users who are viewing this thread