Help!!!!!!! Engine code P0462; Cannot get a shop to diagnose it

Evolution03

Established Member
I bought a 2013 GT500 last year. It was molested by the previous owner and partially put back to stock. I had it sorted out last year and everything was running smoothly. It is mostly stock aside from intake, throttle body, headers, and X pipe. Who knows what the car had on it before i got it.

I got the car sideways (after the tune) and the check engine light came on with code P0462. I live in Chicagoland area (southwest suburbs to be exact) and cannot get a shop to look at the problem. I had a shop replace the fuel level sending units, which did not resolve the problem. They told me they didn't have anymore time to diagnose the problem (spent about an hour total on it). The shop that did the tune last year told me the same thing. I brought it to a Ford tech who does work on the side. He has had the car for two weeks and hasn't looked at it. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow unless he miraculously texts me today that he worked on it.

I have been trying to get this problem fixed since mid June in anticipation of emissions testing at the end of this month, currently 11 days away. I'm trying to avoid the dealer, as they will just tell me to put it back to stock and diagnosing a problem at their hourly rates gives me the chills. I have had bad experiences with Ford dealers spending hours diagnosing a problem with no resolution, only to bring it to a local shop and have the problem solved in a few hours.

The shops around here are all too busy slapping superchargers on cars and putting them on the dyno. They have no interest in diagnosing a PITA problem like this. The car has been down for about six weeks during prime summer time, which is the biggest tragedy of the whole situation.

I got a good deal on this car and budgeted several thousand to recondition it back to where it needed. I am in desperate need of help. If someone can point me to the right shop or a local guru in chicagoland. I want this fixed and I have money in my pocket. i will be forever indebted to anyone that can help.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
I bought a 2013 GT500 last year. It was molested by the previous owner and partially put back to stock. I had it sorted out last year and everything was running smoothly. It is mostly stock aside from intake, throttle body, headers, and X pipe. Who knows what the car had on it before i got it.

I got the car sideways (after the tune) and the check engine light came on with code P0462. I live in Chicagoland area (southwest suburbs to be exact) and cannot get a shop to look at the problem. I had a shop replace the fuel level sending units, which did not resolve the problem. They told me they didn't have anymore time to diagnose the problem (spent about an hour total on it). The shop that did the tune last year told me the same thing. I brought it to a Ford tech who does work on the side. He has had the car for two weeks and hasn't looked at it. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow unless he miraculously texts me today that he worked on it.

I have been trying to get this problem fixed since mid June in anticipation of emissions testing at the end of this month, currently 11 days away. I'm trying to avoid the dealer, as they will just tell me to put it back to stock and diagnosing a problem at their hourly rates gives me the chills. I have had bad experiences with Ford dealers spending hours diagnosing a problem with no resolution, only to bring it to a local shop and have the problem solved in a few hours.

The shops around here are all too busy slapping superchargers on cars and putting them on the dyno. They have no interest in diagnosing a PITA problem like this. The car has been down for about six weeks during prime summer time, which is the biggest tragedy of the whole situation.

I got a good deal on this car and budgeted several thousand to recondition it back to where it needed. I am in desperate need of help. If someone can point me to the right shop or a local guru in chicagoland. I want this fixed and I have money in my pocket. i will be forever indebted to anyone that can help.
Maybe consider taking it to a shop a little further away? When I had my 14, I used to drive 3hrs one way to go to a shop I trusted.

Im sure you can find someone if you stretch out your search area.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
P0462 - Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit Low

Possible Causes:

• Fuel pump (FP) module concern
  • Incorrectly installed fuel gauge
  • Damaged instrument panel cluster (IPC)
  • Damaged fuel gauge

*Monitor the FLI PIDs in ignition ON, engine running. A concern is present if the FLI percentage PID is at 25% fill and the FLI voltage PID is less than 0.90 volt with a non-matching fuel gauge or the FLI percentage PID is at 75% fill and the FLI voltage PID is greater than 2.45 volts with a non-matching fuel gauge.

I could fix this within 4 hrs if you were local to me in michigan. I do provide tech support out of state if needed but you would be best off if you could find someone who is specialized in ford products like myself. Find an Auto electrical service business who has access to Ford IDS and has the speciality tools that the ford dealerships use. My recommendation is a Ford dealership or someone who is specialized with ford cars. This wont be a cheap fix either depending were you go.

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair
PM Me or [email protected]
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair

Last edited:

Evolution03

Established Member
P0462 - Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit Low

Possible Causes:

• Fuel pump (FP) module concern
  • Incorrectly installed fuel gauge
  • Damaged instrument panel cluster (IPC)
  • Damaged fuel gauge

Monitor the FLI PIDs in ignition ON, engine running. A concern is present if the FLI percentage PID is at 25% fill and the FLI voltage PID is less than 0.90 volt with a non-matching fuel gauge or the FLI percentage PID is at 75% fill and the FLI voltage PID is greater than 2.45 volts with a non-matching fuel gauge.

I could fix this within 4 hrs if you were local to me in michigan. I do provide tech support out of state if needed but you would be best off if you could find someone who is specialized in ford products like myself. Find an Auto electrical service business who has access to Ford IDS and has the speciality tools that the ford dealerships use.

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair
PM Me or [email protected]
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair
Where in Michigan are you located? I have ****ed around and lost way more time on this than an 8 hour round trip.

Evolution03

Established Member
Maybe consider taking it to a shop a little further away? When I had my 14, I used to drive 3hrs one way to go to a shop I trusted.

Im sure you can find someone if you stretch out your search area.
I have already tried that. The guy I dropped it off with lives an hour away and 60 miles outside of Chicago. Any further out and it is the extremely rural. I haven't looked into Indiana though.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
I have already tried that. The guy I dropped it off with lives an hour away and 60 miles outside of Chicago. Any further out and it is the extremely rural. I haven't looked into Indiana though.
Sounds like you're going to have to go further.

I drove through 2 states, 140miles for a shop I trust.

Evolution03

Established Member
Southeastern Michigan. Dearborn

Southeastern Michigan. Dearborn
I am just about desperate enough to take you up on that offer, assuming you'd be willing to take a look at it. Also, I am intrigued by the thought of remote tech support. I have a friend who is much more mechanically and electrically inclined who is willing to take a look at it. He has done other work on the car already. Would you be able to walk someone through the the process of how to troubleshoot this problem?

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I am just about desperate enough to take you up on that offer, assuming you'd be willing to take a look at it. Also, I am intrigued by the thought of remote tech support. I have a friend who is much more mechanically and electrically inclined who is willing to take a look at it. He has done other work on the car already. Would you be able to walk someone through the the process of how to troubleshoot this problem?
Yes sir I could do either or remote if someone was electrically incline for this type of job. I can provide troubleshooting steps, prints ect.......

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Let me know what you decide. You can contact me here or direct from my website.

Evolution03

Established Member
Yes sir I could do either or remote if someone was electrically incline for this type of job. I can provide troubleshooting steps, prints ect.......
I talked to my friend and he is definitely electrically inclined. Between the two of you i'm sure you can get to the bottom of it. I'm not sure on timing, as he is in construction and working six days a week right now. However, I'm hoping it can be soon. Please text me at 708-705-9428 when you have a minute and we'll discuss logistics. My name is Rob.

Thanks for your responsiveness!!!!! I should've come to the forums sooner instead of ****ing around.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I talked to my friend and he is definitely electrically inclined. Between the two of you i'm sure you can get to the bottom of it. I'm not sure on timing, as he is in construction and working six days a week right now. However, I'm hoping it can be soon. Please text me at 708-705-9428 when you have a minute and we'll discuss logistics. My name is Rob.

Thanks for your responsiveness!!!!! I should've come to the forums sooner instead of ****ing around.
Well do. I'll be in touch!

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I forgot to ask you @Evolution03 during our phone conversation but does your fuel gauge read incorrectly since the issue started along with this fault code PO462? If so let me know.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes. It will sporadically go to empty and stay there for a while regardless of how much gas is actually left.
Thats what i thought. I forgot to ask you about that....sorry. There is some troubleshooting that can be done first that I found that can be done before heading to a repair shop. I found some technical troubleshooting info on this issue that would really help you, if you and your buddy would be up to the task of fixing this I do have some help i can provide remotely on this issue. I looked into more after our conversation. If you would like to try this remotely let me know. You have my number if interested and I'd like to discuss with you a few things before moving forward with what I can do for you remotely. Its just an option/much cheaper resolution to fixing your issue and if you'd rather send it out for repair thats totally understandable too.

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
@Vinnie_B your willingness to share information and help a brother out is exemplary! Your posts are a must read. Thank you for your service to this community.
Im just getting started @kazman ..... Thank you for your kind remarks..... its my pleasure to help all my brothers and sisters and all of the SVTP community!!!

Users who are viewing this thread