Help!!!!!!! Engine code P0462; Cannot get a shop to diagnose it

Evolution03

Established Member
@Vinnie_B your willingness to share information and help a brother out is exemplary! Your posts are a must read. Thank you for your service to this community.i

@Vinnie_B your willingness to share information and help a brother out is exemplary! Your posts are a must read. Thank you for your service to this community.
I echo this. He called me on saturday and spent 20 minutes talking me through different options. I wish he was closer, as he would be a great resource for my car and I can tell he knows his shit.

Evolution03

Established Member
Update:

The Ford tech had time to look at my car. I texted him I was going to pick it up this morning and I think that motivated him to look at it. He troubleshooted everything related to the sending units and wiring. Everything checked out and the signals were consistent with 3/4 tank. He spent about 4 to 5 hours on it, the exact amount of time that Vinnie said a tech would spend diagnosing this problem. He said it has to be either the gauge cluster or a pin on the connector. He has a spare gauge cluster at work he is going to test out tomorrow. I'm hoping its not the cluster, as the connector would be a much cheaper fix. Can't even find a 13GT500 gauge cluster online. He said it would be $800 from Ford, which is why he wanted to test it out first before ordering.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
There are a few things being missed or overlooked @Evolution03 . I dont want to step on nobody's toes .They should be ruled out before an IPC is diagnosed or suspected cause. The IPC should be the last thing to check.

1.) IPC self-test should be ran doing a module scan with a ford approved communicator like VCM2 or 3. You would know in minutes if the IPC has an issue. DTC or CMDTC'S (B or Powertrain faults codes) would also be a clue if communication was a issue or the IPC was faulty.

2.) Incorrect fuel gauge indication: Known issue you have currently

*Dont know if they were checked but I recommend checking these as well!! Just my 2cents.

Possible Sources:
  • Wiring, terminals or connectors
  • Fuel pump module (LH side)
  • Fuel level sensor (RH side)
  • Fuel level sender (float and card)
  • Fuel tank transfer tube

Normal Operation of fuel tank:

The fuel tank is a saddle tank design with 2 variable resistance senders, driven by floats, that provide resistances related to fuel level in each side of the fuel tank to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) . The fuel level is determined using variable resistance fuel sender units, with an approximate resistance range between 180 ohms ± 4 ohms at empty (E) and 10 ohms ± 2 ohms at full (F). The IPC provides a reference voltage to the fuel level sender (part of the fuel pump module [LH side]) and the fuel level sensor (RH side) through individual signal circuits and receives a return through the signal return circuits from both the fuel level sender (part of the fuel pump module [LH side]) and fuel level sensor. As the fuel level changes, a float actuates a variable resistor on the fuel pump module and the fuel level sensor, raising or lowering the fuel level signal voltage depending on the resistance of the fuel level sender (float and card) or fuel level sensor. The IPC monitors the changes in voltage from both senders and commands the fuel gauge with a corresponding movement of the pointer. If the IPC detects the fuel level sensor circuitry is open, the fuel gauge defaults to the fuel level sender (part of the fuel pump module [LH side]) value only and the fuel gauge displays between 1/2 and empty (E) indicating the fuel level in the LH side of the fuel tank. If the IPC detects the fuel pump module circuitry is open, the fuel gauge defaults to the empty (E) position.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Update:

The Ford tech had time to look at my car. I texted him I was going to pick it up this morning and I think that motivated him to look at it. He troubleshooted everything related to the sending units and wiring. Everything checked out and the signals were consistent with 3/4 tank. He spent about 4 to 5 hours on it, the exact amount of time that Vinnie said a tech would spend diagnosing this problem. He said it has to be either the gauge cluster or a pin on the connector. He has a spare gauge cluster at work he is going to test out tomorrow. I'm hoping its not the cluster, as the connector would be a much cheaper fix. Can't even find a 13GT500 gauge cluster online. He said it would be $800 from Ford, which is why he wanted to test it out first before ordering.
Hope this helps you understand how you gas tank functions and communicates with IPC @Evolution03

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I got to get back to studying for some test coming up. Anyone else have a issue......just "HOLLA"

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
I wonder if the PO had modified the fuel system and hacked it when returning to stock?

Users who are viewing this thread