HELP: Do i just add mufflers or a full cat back exaust?

Cat back or mufflers only?

• Catback exaust

Votes: 95 83.3%
  • Mufflers only

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • flowmaster ( If you choiced mufflers only )

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • dynomax ultraflow ( If you choiced mufflers only )

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • dynomax super turbo's ( If you choiced mufflers only _

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dominick32

BANNED
I know very few 03/04 cobra guys not running a full catback system. ex: bassani, mac, borla, magnaflow, steeda

Actually I dont know anyone who has weld in mufflers...

And why Flowmaster? There are so many reviews on these boards about performance exhaust systems based on THE 03 COBRA. Flowmaster hasnt really got a firm grasp on our car as well as the other companys.

But then again, maybe i am wrong about the Flowmaster.
Dom

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
To each their own, if performance isn't the objective and price is they seem the way to go, but I can tell you from "feel", no dyno #'s, that my cobra ran noticably different between Spintech weld ins (located in a waste facility) and the stinger c/b. I just look at the $180 as money wasted. Plus how much are those shops charging for 3 1/2 or 4" tips? I think those are just as great as the gains! Just my opinion though.

Goo

Someone else please chime in regarding flows. I had them on my 5.0 with and off road H and shorty headers and there was no better sounding car. With an aftermarket cam - car sounded like a big block. Is this not so with the Cobras?

cgg074

Established Member
Go with welded Super 40 Series (the best deep sound) and save $$ for a good H or X Pipe!!

MaximumSVT

Embrace your fears
Established Member
Premium Member
Go with the cat back. I put the Borla Stinger system on with about 2K miles on the car. The stock pipes already had small rust spots when I removed them!

L3thal 324

Established Member
cgg074 said:
Go with welded Super 40 Series (the best deep sound) and save $$ for a good H or X Pipe!!

Holy Crap another puerto rican!! how you liking beatin up on all the ricers out there!!!??!?! haha

Armando

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I think it's pretty obvious.........don't be cheap, do it right the first time. Go with a full catback!!!

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
LOL you are the man
crimecrusher said:
I got Magnaflow for $360 and put it on myself. Then spent $30 to have a muffler shop fix it.

Muffler swap only would be a good choice for any mustang or non-SC cobra. In the past, the muffler was more to change the sound rather than add power. However, on the '03/04 Cobra it is well documented that a catback adds significant power for the money.

cgg074

Established Member
03silversnake said:
Holy Crap another puerto rican!! how you liking beatin up on all the ricers out there!!!??!?! haha

Armando

LOL
It's very funny to see the ricer's faces when they hear the loud whine as I leave them behind!!!

But there are a LOT of powerful import cars here in PR.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
Go with a full aftermarket cat back, you will gain much more. If you change the mufflers you are still using mostly stock parts, with an aftermarket you are getting a bigger diameter, mandrel bent exhaust that will flow much better, also they are very easy to install.

AzDropTop

Established Member
www.completeexhaust.com is your friend. talk to John. Just got Magnaflow for 349.99 plus 38.00 for shipping. Install it yourself, I paid 60 bucks for my install, and you are under 400.00 I'm sure he will give you a deal on other systems too if you don't like Magnaflow.

porktyme

Senor bang bang
Established Member
There are opinions and then there are numbers. I have a stock catback with fr500's welded in. The holdup in the stock system is the mufflers, they neck down to 1.9" ID on the inlet and outlet side. The factory pipes are 2.13" ID 2.25" OD. You gain very little by going full catback over performance mufflers.

Just for kicks I had pressure fittings welded in right before the mufflers. At full throttle there's between 2-3 psi backpressure. Do ya really think an aftermarket catback is gonna be much better. No way.

The numbers: dyno tested 440 RWHP with fr500 muffs, CAI, and 3.1" pulley. However, an aftermarket catback is a much cleaner install and you don't have to pay a weld shop.

addicted2boost

Established Member
I had a muffler shop weld in 40 series mufflers for me as well as 2.5 inch tubing from the H-pipe back to the mufflers. I definately regret doing this. I liked my exhaust until i heard a cobra with a flowmaster catback that was louder than my exhaust was. Also I came to this forum and read all about how small and restrictive the stock pipes are. So I got under my car and sure enough, the stock pipes are a hell of a lot skinnier than a 2.5 inch catbacks pipes would be, especially in the bends. The only way to fix this problem was to buy an all new catback or to hack off the stock pipes and weld on some 2.5 inch turndowns. I took the less expensive route. My cobra now sounds better and i am willing to bet that it has less than 2-3 psi of backpressure. The only problem now is i that i have no sweet looking 4 inch rolled borla tips.

so......

GET A FULL CATBACK SYSTEM

porktyme

Senor bang bang
Established Member
Help us all out- put up some dyno numbers to demonstrate your point. You're willing to bet your system has less than 2psi? Don't know about that. Have you read the "snake bit hit" article by kenne bell where the stock system is measured to have over 15psi backpressure. Remove the factory muffs and you have removed most of the problem.

There is no doubt that aftermarket catbacks are 1)larger pipes and 2)cleaner bends. What is not clear is whether larger pipes and cleaner bends translate to more ACTUAL power.

I measured the holdup in the stock system and it is the stock mufflers at 1.9" ID. The topic is whether aftermarket muffs are any worse/better than a full catback. That is, are the stock 2.25"OD pipes any worse/better than 2.5"OD or 3.0"OD aftermarket pipes. I think the difference in performance between aftermarket muffs and a full catback is minimal.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Go with a full catback and install it yourself.. can't beat the looks or sound, even if the performance difference is marginal. Rhino ramps, a socket wrench, a can of WD40 and a couple hours insure you wont be disappointed..

Users who are viewing this thread