Help! Do i have faulty cats?

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
hi all, i just noticed that after shutdown, i hear a hissing sound, one from the engine bay and one that i just heard from the cats.....i also saw a liquid dripping from the cats.

Maybe its just me or do these 03's run really hot because although my temp gauge says norm/middle, by bay feels hot as all hell and mean almost everything.......

Back to the cats......are these faulty? is this killin me in horsepower? is this why my engine bay is so darn hot?

Anyhelp to any of this is greatly greatly appreciated!!!

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
You should never hear a HISS sound. I hear it cause of my stupid EGT Sending Unit.

A Free Flowing Exhaust cools temps VS a Restrictive Exhaust.

Sorry dont have Cats on so cant comment if any type of liquid should be coming out of it.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
The hiss on the cats and liquid may be condensation from the a.c unit. Apparentlly it drips right on the pipe. as for the hiss in the engine bay...may be the sound of that condesation again. Are you running your a.c. alot? As for how to cure the heat under the hood, you can try to hood mod. It seems that by doing the mod and removing the blanket and plastic plates from the vents the bay cools much better. Remeber your blower makes a significant amount of heat becasue of it's design so that accounts for alot. My suggestion is to just remove the blanket all together and get a catless X. That way you lose alot of back preasure, heat, and the stock exhaust sounds surprisingly good without cats.

CobraNHYEE

Established Member
Thats water draining from your A/C evap onto your right bank cat. If you use your A/C alot, this is the result. My car does this and seems that most of our cars does this. Normal. Hissing in the engine bay is also part of the A/C system. Mine does this also. A/C runs cold as ice though. No problems.

Fang

Established Member
Back to getting too hot; I have had the overheating problems and I was joking around that I needed to tell my wife that a new exhaust would free up the restrictive backpressure and cool it down. Now I don't know if that is all together a lie. Sounds to me like a new cai and exhaust WOULD actually help the problem I am having.:beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by CobraNHYEE
Thats water draining from your A/C evap onto your right bank cat. If you use your A/C alot, this is the result. My car does this and seems that most of our cars does this. Normal. Hissing in the engine bay is also part of the A/C system. Mine does this also. A/C runs cold as ice though. No problems.
You guys are good. I remember seeing a post about this a couple of weeks ago. Isn't it great when the "problem" becomes a non-problem?
:)

Users who are viewing this thread