Help Decide On Next Ride

usafimj

Established Member
So I'm closing in at the end of my deployment and trying to decide what vehicle to get next. Before deploying I sold my 2008 GT500 with the usual mods and it was a fun car. I am now looking at two totally different vehicles. I am looking at a 2011 GT500 or a 2018/2019 Ford Ranger. Since I'm currently stationed in Germany for the next few years I can go either way for each car. There is the possibility I could be staying in Germany longer since my wife is a teacher on base and I'll be close to retirement.

Current Vehicles: 2001 VW Golf (my beater) & 2015 Volvo XC60 (Wifes). We use the Volvo for all our traveling and the occasional moving large items

- Down Payment: $15,500

#1) 2011 GT500, Kona Blue w/Red Stripes, SVTPP and Electronics Pkg, 50K miles, mods are cold air intake and axle backs. Price $26K. With the cash I have on hand I can easily pay it off in 2-3yrs. If I go with the GT500 I can use it to its full potential on the autobahn, Nurburgring, etc without getting in too much trouble. It will be used daily during Spring/Summer/Fall and put away during the Winter. This will basically be my toy and use the golf when needed.

#2) 2018/2019 Ford Ranger XLT or Lariat 4x4. Price $35-45K depending on options. Ideally I'd like to be around $25K after putting cash down. It be nice to start taking the kids (8 and 9yrs old) and doing more outdoor activities around Europe now that they're a bit older. I also hit the bike trails on the weekend 1-2 times a month when possible. If I go this route I'd want as many options I could afford as it will be my every day vehicle and get rid of the Golf.

So what do you guys think?

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Get your gt500, down the road get a beater pickup

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Don't know why this is even up for discussion.....GT500!

Also, as someone that desperately wanted orders to Germany and got stuck in Delaware instead, I hate you. I hate my cousin too, he's been at Aviano for 6 or 7 years now.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I think you already had your mind made up you just wanted our opinion as your push over the ledge

IA Shelby

Established Member
If I was nearing retirement I wouldn’t be financing any vehicle. Buy something for less than 15,500 that could pay cash for IMO. Maybe a 2011 GT.

usafimj

Established Member
Lucky. I jumped ship to the Guard back in '05, been in Houston (by choice) since then.

Is the GT500 being sold on or near base or would you be shipping it?

It’s being sold near base by another GI.

Hayabusa

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Not into motorcycles

Ranger is going to depreciate like crazy. GT500 is already nearing the bottom. GT500 is more fun and more financially responsible. How often do you hear that?

True but if it’s something I’m going to keep for a while then why not.

If I was nearing retirement I wouldn’t be financing any vehicle. Buy something for less than 15,500 that could pay cash for IMO. Maybe a 2011 GT.

I still have 5yrs to go.

Am I the only one that thinks the world/new ranger is garbage? F150 way before I buy the ranger.

11 GT500 or F150.

Really not into big trucks. More of a ranger or Tacoma type of guy.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
To me, a GT500 at 26k seems like a better buy than a Ranger from 35-45k.

Can you do the family activities with the Golf/XC60?
I would say go GT500 unless it hampers potential activities with the kids/family.

You can always get another fast car, but your kids are only that young once.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
It is a blast hauling ass down the autobahn at 140mph miles without needing to stop
My wife and I were in Germany a few months ago. Our tour guide was driving us to some castle and we hit the autobahn. My wife was in the back seat not saying a word. I noticed we were traveling rather quickly so I peeked over at the Km/hr and did the calculations on my phone. Yup, 140mph. I think I enjoyed my wife being scared more than I did the actual speed

Users who are viewing this thread