Help decide on AR15 Caliber

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
5.56 is fun, relatively affordable and obtainable. If I ever build a long gun for range .300 win mag would be my caliber.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
5.56 is fun, relatively affordable and obtainable. If I ever build a long gun for range .300 win mag would be my caliber.

I had a 300WM not too long along. I keep my guns about as long as I keep cars though...so there's that.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Just bought a SCAR 17S.

SCAR is an excellent battle rifle, with pretty low recoil for a 308. Get good optics, and something to replace the "Ugg boot" stock....

Just bought a Sig Canebrake in 300BO.

Well I have two lowers ready...one will be a 450 Bushmaster pistol...other is still in the air.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
SCAR is an excellent battle rifle, with pretty low recoil for a 308. Get good optics, and something to replace the "Ugg boot" stock....

My ACOG 3.5 will be here for it today!

I haven't seen very many stock options for them?

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Don't have a lot of input, but, I've done quite a bit of looking since I really want an AR.

5.56 seems to be the best overall round for price, accuracy, range, FPS, etc.

I do like the Creedmore, but, it is quite a bit more expensive than the 5.56 and doesn't offer THAT much more of an increase in performance, if you will.

Let us know what you decide to go with Nick.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't have a lot of input, but, I've done quite a bit of looking since I really want an AR.

5.56 seems to be the best overall round for price, accuracy, range, FPS, etc.

I do like the Creedmore, but, it is quite a bit more expensive than the 5.56 and doesn't offer THAT much more of an increase in performance, if you will.

Let us know what you decide to go with Nick.

One is going to be a 450 Bushmaster pistol..the second I'm leaning towards another 5.56 SBR.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
If you want to stay away from .223/5.56 go with .300 Blackout and/or a .450 Bushmaster. Both are good shooting out of an AR platform.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
you guys are gonna make me end up buying a 300 blackout barrel for my sig... now to start on the paperwork for a can

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
10-11 months current wait time.

Might as well just do it.

only holdup is my cousins and I were talking about doing a gun trust together to put em in so we can all use em, just havent had time to look into it a little more

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
223 and 308

if you want a big boy go with 338 lapua

Yup, most plentiful rounds of the common caliber AR's. .223 can handle varmints and .308 works for animals as large as elk (though I'd want more stopping power for long shots)

Small caveat, make sure the smaller AR can handle 5.56 rounds. They generate higher chamber pressures than .223. Opposite for the .308 and 7.62 x 51.

Users who are viewing this thread