Help! Cobra clutch noise

wckdvnm

Established Member
It needs changed man. Mine made noises like that right before completely failing on me. That's the throw out bearing I believe.

stanglx2.3

Established Member
I think it is the throw out bearing too. Can I replace just the bearing? I don't what type of clutch to buy but they are all pretty expensive.

Zemedici

Established Member
It needs changed man. Mine made noises like that right before completely failing on me. That's the throw out bearing I believe.

nailed it. TOB. Need a new one. And you can replace just the TOB, just makes more sense to go ahead and do the clutch since you're right there anyway. Gotta look at the pressure plate and see if its worn.

stanglx2.3

Established Member
Thanks! What clutch do you recommend? The car is mostly stock and I only plan to do minor upgrades, maybe a pulley swap. My end goal would be 500 rwhp. I don't want a super hard clutch.
What all do I need to buy to do the whole clutch replacement?
Should I swap to 26 spline? What would I have to buy in addition?

Zemedici

Established Member
Thanks! What clutch do you recommend? The car is mostly stock and I only plan to do minor upgrades, maybe a pulley swap. My end goal would be 500 rwhp. I don't want a super hard clutch.
What all do I need to buy to do the whole clutch replacement?
Should I swap to 26 spline? What would I have to buy in addition?

No reason to go 26 spline if you're just gonna keep it as a bolt on car. Hell i'm 630rwhp on a 2.3l whipple running 19lbs of boost and mines still on the stock 10 spline.

Just need

clutch kit
Flywheel
Pilot bearing
Throw out bearing.

Be sure to get a FORD OEM throw out bearing, as aftermarkets have a tendency to start chirping. Clutch is up to you. I put a McLeod in my 04, close to stock pedal feel, and was relatively inexpensive. Check out Lethal Performance. Going to do the job yourself?

stanglx2.3

Established Member
Yeah, I plan to do it myself. It will save me some $$$. It is not a daily driver so it can take me a few days if necessary. Which McLeod did you get? How does it feel/perform compared to stock?
Is it not a good idea to resurface the flywheel? What is a good replacement (steel vs aluminum)?

Zemedici

Established Member
Yeah, I plan to do it myself. It will save me some $$$. It is not a daily driver so it can take me a few days if necessary. Which McLeod did you get? How does it feel/perform compared to stock?
Is it not a good idea to resurface the flywheel? What is a good replacement (steel vs aluminum)?

The stock flywheel is aluminum, and resurfacing it is not a good idea. Steel replacement flywheel will be fine, one second, lemme get links to what I got. :beer:

Zemedici

Established Member
There was a bit during break in, and a little that lingered after. But nothing that cant be managed with some right foot manipulation :)

hotcobra03

Established Member
Start with tob..and possibly the sleeve..

I had just done my 1st clutch at 365k..still had grooves in disc..

I went with oem replacement from ford..

didnt touch flywheel..

Users who are viewing this thread