Help choosing gears!!!!

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I'm looking at getting 4.10's to make up for the longer gearing in my t56 magnum but I don't know whether to go ford racing or motive gears. Car has 3.73 gears in it from the factory and they are the noisiest things in the world. Sounds like I have a blower in the rear end. I would hate to go with ford racing and get the same damn whine. I'm also gonna hop on all brand new bearing just to do it once and get it done with. Recommendations, insight knowledge, anything u guys can help me with will be greatly appreciated!!!!

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Motives are decent.. there have been a few changes with the Ford OE 3.73 gearset lately, production process update of some sort. Just did a set for a guy with upper and lower arms and they are absolutely silent.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I have FRPP 3.73 gears that have been in the car about a year and a half and they have never whined.

True or not, I didn't go with motive because I heard they were noisy as hell.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
There was just a thread on here about noisy 3.73 ford gears. Just wondering cause I can't stand this whine any more and I feel like its getting worse.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Since 4th is your 1:1 what about 4.30's? 4.30's with a ~27" tire at 7600 (if you have a boss intake?) would be about 142mph. Even 4.56 would be pretty good.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
The reason I'm thinking 4.10's is cause I daily the car and do a lot of highway driving. 6th gear isn't much different then the mt82. Right now at 80mph I'm just below 2500. I wanna go 4.30's but I think that would kill me with gas.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
The reason I'm thinking 4.10's is cause I daily the car and do a lot of highway driving. 6th gear isn't much different then the mt82. Right now at 80mph I'm just below 2500. I wanna go 4.30's but I think that would kill me with gas.

OP what are your goals for the car?

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
4.88s. go big or go home.

LOL

Ryan, most of the time when people are hearing noise with gears is either they are used or the lash was done wrong or not enough. People will usually hear the humming noise on acceleration with an old set of gears that are installed. (my 3v was known for this after i installed the tru trac) Like everything else, the seat together.

For your car, a 3.73 FRPP would be fine. A 4.10 would be nice too because of your final gear drive. With your car the way it's running, getting into your power band it key. With the slight loss of the Boss manifold, that gear will get you the low end back (not power wise though)

If I were in your shoes, 4.10s would be the way to go with a Tru Trac. Weld the axle tubes as well. Roll out!!

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member

Daily driver bolt on monster lmao!! That doesn't make any drivetrain noise!!! Only noise I wanna hear is my exhaust!!

LOL

Ryan, most of the time when people are hearing noise with gears is either they are used or the lash was done wrong or not enough. People will usually hear the humming noise on acceleration with an old set of gears that are installed. (my 3v was known for this after i installed the tru trac) Like everything else, the seat together.

For your car, a 3.73 FRPP would be fine. A 4.10 would be nice too because of your final gear drive. With your car the way it's running, getting into your power band it key. With the slight loss of the Boss manifold, that gear will get you the low end back (not power wise though)

If I were in your shoes, 4.10s would be the way to go with a Tru Trac. Weld the axle tubes as well. Roll out!!

I think I'm definitely going with the 4.10's don't know about the tru trac cause Im low on money lol but definitely trying to get gears with all new bearing!!!

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member

Daily driver bolt on monster lmao!! That doesn't make any drivetrain noise!!! Only noise I wanna hear is my exhaust!!

LOL

I think I'm definitely going with the 4.10's don't know about the tru trac cause Im low on money lol but definitely trying to get gears with all new bearing!!!

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
OP, are you doing the gear set swap yourself or paying someone? As far as brand goes, in my experience, I've used motorcraft (not ford racing) gears and have been able to reuse the factory pinion shim on the new pinion and put it all back together and never heard a peep out of em. Different manufacturer, different tooling, different shim will be needed to dial it in just right. My .02

4VFTW

Established Member
much easier to install FRPP gears than Motive...with the FRPP all you do is measure the old and new pinion heads and add/remove shim to keep the same pinion depth as the stock set. Bolt it back together and give them 1 heat cycle. You dont even need a press to put the new bearing on , just boil it for 5 min and push it on by hand.

Last edited:

5.0_KenneB

Established Member

I defiantly recommend the tru trac, I shatter my spider gears, and rear diff launching at 5500rpms, well if you plan on going to the track and running it often

Users who are viewing this thread