Help car wont start!!!

WaffleMan

Established Member
Drove to gym, came back out and started car, fired up stumbled and died. Will only just crank, won't fire at all.

Replaced frps
I have fuel pressure in the rails
Pulled a plug on both sides and they both are arcing when I crank car
Theft light turns of after 3 seconds of turning ignition on so not pats system
Tried spraying ether to get it to start and nothing, won't fire even a little bit
I have maf counts, spark is at 10* when trying to start, I can hear pumps priming when I turn key

I am at a complete loss for what is wrong, I have spark and it won't start with the ether so I have no idea what else it could be, any ideas would be much appreciated.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
How many miles on the engine?
Did you check compression?
Were the plugs you pulled dry, soaked, etc?
Can you monitor the RPM pid while cranking to verify it is accurate? If it is not accurate then check for alternator issues or oil/water in the other 6 coil wells.
This will also verify communication with the PCM. Does the check engine light come on with the key on and go out while cranking?
Take a fuel sample from the rail into a clear container. Look at and smell it. Make sure there is no foul play there.
Check for foreign object in the air filter/intake area restricting air into the engine.
Make sure no bananas or eggplant stuffed into your tailpipes too.
Verify fuel psi mechanically or electronically? BAP issue?

SV

Last edited:

WaffleMan

Established Member
77k miles, haven't checked compression, plugs I pulled smelled of gas and are black. Monitored rpm on handheld while cranking and it goes up. Idk if check engine light goes out while cranking but I have no codes. Originally had the frps code right when it died but have already replaced that this afternoon with a kb disc as well. Nothing is in intake, I monitor fuel pressure with aeroforce gauges which I guess read from the Frps. I just don't understand how it wouldn't at least stumble a little bit when spraying ether into the intake while trying to start it when I know at least 2 plugs are firing, unless they just don't fire down in the cylinder. All I did was drive it nice and chill to the gym, it sat for about an hour and it fired up when I came out but immediately died. The ether fumes should be making it past intercooler and into cylinder when I crank it right? I'm so confused

WaffleMan

Established Member
Can an alternator just die suddenly? My plugs are firing but maybe not firing with enough oomph?

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
That is crazy. What is battery voltage sitting and while cranking. It didn't backfire or anything when it started, before it died?
Are you 100% sure the new FRPS is good?

Last edited:

bigmoose

Established Member
I had a similar problem and thought it was my FRPS. Car would do the same thing but if I let it sit for 10 minutes it would then start fine. Ended up being a bad FPDM. New FPDM cured all my issues.

WaffleMan

Established Member
That is crazy. What is battery voltage sitting and while cranking. It didn't backfire or anything when it started, before it died?

No backfire or anything, battery had/has enough juice to crank the car for a solid 20 seconds easy. Haven't checked the voltage though. Buddy let me borrow his frps off of his car that was working fine.

WaffleMan

Established Member
I had a similar problem and thought it was my FRPS. Car would do the same thing but if I let it sit for 10 minutes it would then start fine. Ended up being a bad FPDM. New FPDM cured all my issues.

This happened last night so it sat all night and I've been messing with it all today. I don't think it's fuel because it won't even catch when spraying ether into intake. But plugs are sparking, which makes no sense, ether plus sparking plugs should at least make it stumble or try to fire at least, it just cranks and cranks and never even tries to fire

MalcolmV8

Established Member
After you replaced the FRPS how much did you crank it? One of the times when I popped mine I got a replacement FRPS and it still wouldn't start. Not sure if the car was flooded or what but I cranked the heck out of it after replacing the FRPS and it eventually fired. You mentioned plugs wet. I'm sure yours flooded too once the sensor went.

So what I'm getting at is after you replaced the FRPS did you just crank it a few times or did you do it a bunch?

WaffleMan

Established Member
After you replaced the FRPS how much did you crank it? One of the times when I popped mine I got a replacement FRPS and it still wouldn't start. Not sure if the car was flooded or what but I cranked the heck out of it after replacing the FRPS and it eventually fired. You mentioned plugs wet. I'm sure yours flooded too once the sensor went.

So what I'm getting at is after you replaced the FRPS did you just crank it a few times or did you do it a bunch?

Cranked it a ton, tried the flooring it method and cranked it a bunch like that too, to the point battery is dead

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Cranked it a ton, tried the flooring it method and cranked it a bunch like that too, to the point battery is dead

Damn OK that's a ton and obviously not it. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on the car to see what that's doing? I saw your first post said have pressure in rails but just wondering when / how that was checked?

Where about in Kansas are you?

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I don't know much about the valve train on these cars, but timing issues can keep the car from starting. I don't know if there is something mechanical that can fail, or other. Also Malcolm had a good point about it possibly being flooded. If you need anything tomorrow let me know.

cj428mach

Established Member

I hope so its off my car lol. I told him he should give you a call.

I haven't looked at the car but he said he's getting spark, and that his fuel pressure is at 40 during cranking off his aeroforce (frps). I would think that if he's getting spark and shooting a little ether in it he'd at least get it to hit a few licks but Connor said he's not getting anything. I'm not that familar with fords but on GM's starting issues like this is usually an anti theft system issue.

We never got a wichita terminator get together going now maybe the time to figure out what the deal is with this car, lol.

Last edited:

WaffleMan

Established Member
Old plug vs new, all the old ones look like that, haven't tried them yet, battery is charging. Had br7ef going to try tr6

WaffleMan

Established Member
New plugs and it's stumbling now, won't completely fire up and run yet. It's smoking out the tailpipes and afr is at 10 according to my wideband

WaffleMan

Established Member
So its still stumbling and trying to start even with inertia switch off and no fuel pressure. Could it really be flooded that bad? It's sat for over a whole day

WaffleMan

Established Member
Running good now. Guess it was just super flooded, had to crank it over and over and let it run by itself off the gas in the intake, fuel pumps were off the whole time. There must have been a TON of gas in the lower intake. Also seems the fuel ruined the membrane in my boost bypass actuator/valve thing as well. Glad it's fixed though, thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread