Help after Ford service 100k mile tune up

01yellercobra

Established Member
If something is hurt (which I doubt) I don't see it taking 3k miles to show itself. Depending on how hot it is outside and if the car was heat soaked from them driving it the car might feel a little down on power due to the ECU pulling timing.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
^^ what he said

having a scanner of some sort is just a good idea anyway but heat soak will pull them down in a hurry.

Glad they're being helpful. Sounds like you now have the perfect reason to drive the wheels off it for a couple weeks.

can't remember - is this thing modded or supposedly stock?

2004roush

Established Member
^^ what he said

having a scanner of some sort is just a good idea anyway but heat soak will pull them down in a hurry.

Glad they're being helpful. Sounds like you now have the perfect reason to drive the wheels off it for a couple weeks.

can't remember - is this thing modded or supposedly stock?
It’s Stock. The owner before me had it for 18 years and kept it that way. It’s helpful knowing the prev. Owner.

2004roush

Established Member
You know how you know it’s ok? Get it on the highway and do a 40-140 blast. If nothing overheats or falls apart, your car is fine and no more stressing.
They’re offering 2year 10k Mile warranty. But no modding or voids it! And only serviced by them. They are really going above and beyond (considering) which is nice. I appreciate everyone

Also they’re going to reset the kam so it won’t read the prev incident. That way it won’t be pulling timing.. they said.

Last edited:

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Make sure your intercooler pump is working. If no water is flowing in the tank, its no good. That will pull timing and make you feel like you hit a wall.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Make sure your intercooler pump is working. If no water is flowing in the tank, its no good. That will pull timing and make you feel like you hit a wall.

this. The KAM reset wont hurt anything but not likely to help much either. If the air temps exiting the blower exceed 1xx it pulls timing to protect itself from detonation. The intercooler pump comes on at some predetermined temp, so after a drive and warm up you SHOULD be able to see fluid movement in that tank. You won't normally see fluid moving in the coolant res.

holiks03cobra

Established Member
this. The KAM reset wont hurt anything but not likely to help much either. If the air temps exiting the blower exceed 1xx it pulls timing to protect itself from detonation. The intercooler pump comes on at some predetermined temp, so after a drive and warm up you SHOULD be able to see fluid movement in that tank. You won't normally see fluid moving in the coolant res.
Can also jump the ic pump with a wire to make sure it’s flowing

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I’m pleasantly surprised at how well they handled it. Props to them. Sounds like it’s perfectly fine and they are taking responsibility. I’m very happy to hear.

Yes, PCM pulls a ton of timing when these get hot, which happens quickly. Every degree it pulls is going to be roughly 10hp. Yeah you can lose some power pretty quickly.

dan1982

Established Member
Ok.. so they had their best mustang mechanic work on it. He has a great reputation around area! (Should’ve had him do it in first place and not neighbor). He bled it and then refilled and with vacuum. He checked oil, spark plugs … no coolant. He checked compression of all 8 cylinders and they were all good and about same. He drove it some. Warmed it up and got on it a little bit. It seems fine. They had me come up and drive it. I did. Sounded ok but seemsed not as umph… maybe in my head. But overall ok. Now it’s still up there. He will check fluids again and they will detail it. Now we will work on some type of guarantee. 3-5k miles. I’m thinking miles over months. I don’t drive maybe a 1k miles a year on my mustangs. What do you guys think??

Also. The owner called me last week and apologized. They said he was prepared to buy it from me if it’s messed up! Which is nice to hear. Also one of the mechanics already said he would buy it from them…if they did….haha
What exaclty does the warranty cover? was the leakdown done?

dan1982

Established Member
They said it was done. The warranty is being worked on with their legal team at moment. They still have car
If they have those numbers... would be nice to have, just for comparison later on. (The leakdown percentages per cylinder.) You are not out of line in asking for that. Orrrr... highest observed leakdown percentage and which cylinder. The tech should remember that........

Last edited:

2004roush

Established Member
If they have those numbers... would be nice to have, just for comparison later on. (The leakdown percentages per cylinder.) You are not out of line in asking for that. Orrrr... highest observed leakdown percentage and which cylinder. The tech should remember that........
Also they said compression test were all equal at 125psi. What are your thoughts for 100k miles on engine ? I did not get a compression test prior to purchase.

dan1982

Established Member
Also they said compression test were all equal at 125psi. What are your thoughts for 100k miles on engine ? I did not get a compression test prior to purchase.
The concern on your end (with the engine getting hot like it possibly did).. is wanting to make sure the head isnt warped and the headgasket isnt compromised. A leakdown test fills the cylinder with air pressure (and ALLL engines will have SOME leakage somewhere)... YOU just want to make sure NONE of that compresseed air pressurized in the cylinder makes it past the head gasket and there are no issues with the head causing alot of leakdown. Make sense? Its a great test... its impossible to bullshyt. As far as the compression test is concerned... i dont even know what it should be. Im sure its in the owners/service manual. A compression test only reveals certain things.. That said..... i think youre OK. Get the warranty in writing.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
compression tests will vary based on engine temp when performed, accuracy of the gauge used etc... the most important part is consistency hole to hole and bank to bank. If they're all within 10% of 125 that should be good. A head gasket issue between cylinders will usually have adjacent cylinders be low (but not always, can be just one cylinder).

vr4

Established Member
The concern on your end (with the engine getting hot like it possibly did).. is wanting to make sure the head isnt warped and the headgasket isnt compromised. A leakdown test fills the cylinder with air pressure (and ALLL engines will have SOME leakage somewhere)... YOU just want to make sure NONE of that compresseed air pressurized in the cylinder makes it past the head gasket and there are no issues with the head causing alot of leakdown. Make sense? Its a great test... its impossible to bullshyt. As far as the compression test is concerned... i dont even know what it should be. Im sure its in the owners/service manual. A compression test only reveals certain things.. That said..... i think youre OK. Get the warranty in writing.
Gonna get a whole lot higher cylinder pressures when the engine is running than the 80-100psi of shop air that a leakdown applies.

If the head gasket is compromised it'll show itself in a few hundred miles.

Sounds like they're doing everything right while going above and beyond what I would expect. At this point I would accept their warranty and terms. Let them service the car for the next couple years and enjoy it.

2004roush

Established Member
So far so good. Not temp issues. Car sounds and runs good. I’ve been checking oil and coolant levels frequently and after driving when I park it in garage I pop hood just to avoid heat soak I’m told. Thank you all who reached out. I’m glad the offered 2 yr / 10,000 mile warranty for anything coolant , engine related.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
So far so good. Not temp issues. Car sounds and runs good. I’ve been checking oil and coolant levels frequently and after driving when I park it in garage I pop hood just to avoid heat soak I’m told. Thank you all who reached out. I’m glad the offered 2 yr / 10,000 mile warranty for anything coolant , engine related.

that's great, hope you can enjoy it now as intended.

but as others have said, put it to the test by driving it really hard. lots of wot pulls to redlin... full boost in 2nd and 3rd gear. give that 8psi eaton everything it can handle.

and everytime you do this, the next day or after it cools, inspect the area right around the coolant reservoir cap. if you see ANY EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER of dried coolant or coolant that has sprayed out from it, you have a hg problem. best of luck and enjoy

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you see ANY EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER of dried coolant or coolant that has sprayed out from it, you have a hg problem. best of luck and enjoy

eh, issues with the OE tanks and caps aren't exactly uncommon as these cars get older. It's certainly possible but I hate for everyone to jump to worst case scenario. Always start with the easy shit first

Users who are viewing this thread