Help after Ford service 100k mile tune up

2004roush

Established Member
So upset. The dealership is like. “Yea we will diagnose it, and make it right” when really it wasn’t filled in the cross member and he drove it for two days with almost no coolant getting to engine. Aluminum heads with overheated engine not good

Attachments

• 6B74AF1A-B1C8-472D-877F-29CC7C639AA7.jpeg
    6B74AF1A-B1C8-472D-877F-29CC7C639AA7.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 60

2004roush

Established Member
They look at me like “buddy it’s a 20 year old car!” When really this car was never modded and hard to find period in good shape!!!

Attachments

• 83FEE375-9129-489F-B82C-6823A50B882F.png
    83FEE375-9129-489F-B82C-6823A50B882F.png
    720 KB · Views: 86

2004roush

Established Member
the weird thing is that dealerships usually use an expensive vacuum fluid exchange machine to do a coolant flush, which is the preferred method and would not have caused this problem.

the only way this could have happened is if the tech manually drained the fluid but then refilled it only on the reservoir side and not at the crossover bung.

either that, or he didn't use the machine correctly.

edit: @vr4 can you confirm this? why would a dealership tech ever manually drain and fill a cooling system
Yea. He admitted he just drained it and filled in coolant reservoir.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
They look at me like “buddy it’s a 20 year old car!” When really this car was never modded and hard to find period in good shape!!!
Yep, those instructions tell you exactly how to do it. Too bad the Ford tech didn't follow them or look them up as he should have....

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Yea. He admitted he just drained it and filled in coolant reservoir.

i'm no lawyer but if they're admitting this i think you have a good case to get a replacement/remanufactured engine installed at their expense.

remamber, even though they may get it back up and running now the damage has probably has already been done.

this blows my mind

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i'm no lawyer but if they're admitting this i think you have a good case to get a replacement/remanufactured engine installed at their expense.

remamber, even though they may get it back up and running now the damage has probably has already been done.

this blows my mind

eh, they'll probably push back that's hes at least partially at fault for continuing to drive the car after the first incident.

if it passes a compression and leak down tests and theres no glitter in the oil it may well be fine.

2004roush

Established Member
eh, they'll probably push back that's hes at least partially at fault for continuing to drive the car after the first incident.

if it passes a compression and leak down tests and theres no glitter in the oil it may well be fine.
It was my neighbors fault. He is the mechanic that works at CLASSIC Ford and he was the one that drove it to and from work on both Monday and Tuesday. It was only Tuesday night that I drove it literally up to the top of my street and realize there was a problem. So it works in my favor legally. Due to He was the one transporting the vehicle and driving it and the mechanic that worked on it. He even stated and showed me that there was more coolant that came out. Then he put in and he didn’t know why? This whole headache is so annoying. It’s like I get my dream car and then all this Flippin drama.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It was my neighbors fault. He is the mechanic that works at CLASSIC Ford and he was the one that drove it to and from work on both Monday and Tuesday. It was only Tuesday night that I drove it literally up to the top of my street and realize there was a problem. So it works in my favor legally. Due to He was the one transporting the vehicle and driving it and the mechanic that worked on it. He even stated and showed me that there was more coolant that came out. Then he put in and he didn’t know why? This whole headache is so annoying. It’s like I get my dream car and then all this Flippin drama.

gotcha, ya that helps a bit. I dont think I'd let him work on my lawn mower going forward.

honestly if he wasn't driving around with the temp gauge pegged I think there's a solid chance the car will be ok

vr4

Established Member
the weird thing is that dealerships usually use an expensive vacuum fluid exchange machine to do a coolant flush, which is the preferred method and would not have caused this problem.

the only way this could have happened is if the tech manually drained the fluid but then refilled it only on the reservoir side and not at the crossover bung.

either that, or he didn't use the machine correctly.

edit: @vr4 can you confirm this? why would a dealership tech ever manually drain and fill a cooling system
Laziness. Or the machine was broken

dan1982

Established Member
Getting some of your money back is the only thing that can be done. Getting a new motor is a fantasy. The first thing you should do BEFORE... repeat.. BEFORE u buy a blown/turbocharged car is to do a leakdown/compression test. The reason why should be pretty clear now. I think the motor will check out OK though... its gonna have some leakage, but thats to be expected at 100K.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Wish I had 1/2 your bodywork/paint skills, or perhaps even your patience. You did a fantastic job on your classic.

Thank you brother! Really appreciate that.

When I was laying out the graphics on my 03 Terminator for my painter (at the time), one of his customers was watching me. He told my painter "Man, that dude has a lot of patience." LOL. I thought it was cool, but I was just trying to make sure I got it right LOL.

I understand bodywork and painting can be stressful, but for me it's a time to put my headphones on, listen to some good metal tunes, decompress from my daily job and just take my time and work the process.

Guess it's a labor of love for me (since it's a hobby and not a daily requirement to earn a living). And man do the results make everything just that much sweeter.

Thanks again Bullitt!!!(y)

Goocher0310th

Established Member
Have the techs see what temp the fans are supposed to come on. Last year after I had a flush and fill the same thing happened to me. Thought it was a BHG and it turned out the car wasn't burped properly, and the main culprit was the fans set to come on at over 220 degrees. I'm just wondering. Seems eerily similar to the problem I had.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Have the techs see what temp the fans are supposed to come on. Last year after I had a flush and fill the same thing happened to me. Thought it was a BHG and it turned out the car wasn't burped properly, and the main culprit was the fans set to come on at over 220 degrees. I'm just wondering. Seems eerily similar to the problem I had.

Factory settings are 220 low 240 high

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Factory settings are 220 low 240 high

no they come on earlier than that -

this is from the service manual:

c, f, condition
84, 181, normal operating temp - min
93, 200, normal operating temp - max
100, 212, warm - fan comes on
105, 221, very warm
113, 235, hot
120, 248, overheat
125, 257, overheat - coolant is boiling at 16psi

low speed fan turns on at 100/212
low speed fan turns off at 97/206

high speed fan turns on at 107/224
high speed fan turns off at 104/219

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

c, f, condition
105, 221, very warm
113, 235, hot
120, 248, overheat

thanks for posting that, I knew those other temps were too high. Good to see what's actually too hot. My car with the big ass A2A will hit 220+ idling in FL heat, I end up turning the AC off bc I didn't know how hot was too hot.

Goocher0310th

Established Member
My guy put in a 170-degree thermostat and set the fans to come on at 188. I'm in Fl also and am happy the fans come on early. I'm hoping OP may be in the same boat at me.

Like I said it sounds really similar to what occurred with my car. Just something to look at? It may not be a big expense to fix. and hopefully not a BHG.

wckdvnm

Established Member

c, f, condition
105, 221, very warm
113, 235, hot
120, 248, overheat

Your right; dyslexia is a bitch sometimes lmao. It’s been so long since I have had factory fan settings I forgot.

2004roush

Established Member
Getting some of your money back is the only thing that can be done. Getting a new motor is a fantasy. The first thing you should do BEFORE... repeat.. BEFORE u buy a blown/turbocharged car is to do a leakdown/compression test. The reason why should be pretty clear now. I think the motor will check out OK though... its gonna have some leakage, but thats to be expected at 100K.
Ok.. so they had their best mustang mechanic work on it. He has a great reputation around area! (Should’ve had him do it in first place and not neighbor). He bled it and then refilled and with vacuum. He checked oil, spark plugs … no coolant. He checked compression of all 8 cylinders and they were all good and about same. He drove it some. Warmed it up and got on it a little bit. It seems fine. They had me come up and drive it. I did. Sounded ok but seemsed not as umph… maybe in my head. But overall ok. Now it’s still up there. He will check fluids again and they will detail it. Now we will work on some type of guarantee. 3-5k miles. I’m thinking miles over months. I don’t drive maybe a 1k miles a year on my mustangs. What do you guys think??

Also. The owner called me last week and apologized. They said he was prepared to buy it from me if it’s messed up! Which is nice to hear. Also one of the mechanics already said he would buy it from them…if they did….haha

Attachments

• IMG_6705.jpeg
    IMG_6705.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 70

Users who are viewing this thread