Help!! Advise on rear spring lowering

03reptile

Established Member
I like the ride quality of my GT500 but don't like the nose down, rear up, rake of the car. I installed a set of rear springs from the Eibach Pro kit (didn't install the front springs that came with the kit) and it leveled the car perfectly; however, it degraded the ride quality in the rear so much that I couldn't live with the stiff and choppy ride. I took the Eibachs out and returned the stock rears. It rides much better, but is back to the old rake that I didn't like. My question; Has anyone found a rear spring that lowers the car to a level stance, but does not increase the harshness of the rear suspension? I called Ford racing and they have a lowering kit for our Shelby GT500s but he states it may also increase suspension stiffness (minimally) so I'm back to my same problem. He also suggested cutting a 1/2 coil off my stock springs and see how much it lowers the rear. He felt this would not change the stiffness of the stock spring, but only lower the rear which is what I want. Its a trial and error procedure till you get the right height. Has anyone done this with success and if so, did the ride quality remain the same as stock? How much coil did you remove and from what end? I would rather go the coil cutting route to save $ but am open to other suggestions. Please help!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Michael:

That is exactly what I want to do. Just lower the rear end slightly without any (or much) sacrifice in ride quality. I LOVE how this car rides and drives. It's a little soft, but I think it can be tweaked slightly. Keep us posted on the progress.

I think a half a coil is a good starting point!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

chuckstang

Established Member
What GT500 are you guys driving?

The stock springs/shocks are the worst I have driven. My Mazda 6, sister's Eclipse, parents Avalon, grandmother's Avenger all have a better spring/shock set up from the factory.

I bounce all over the place to the point where it is not even fun, but makes me sea sick.

I plan on doing the suspension with the FRPP handling package and I think that the car will ride better, more predictible, flatter, lesss bouncy, less jarring, less wiggles, less shimmy...

This is my only real complaint with how the car drives from the factory. Over smooth pavement the ride is nice but watch out for that crack in the road!

(please excuse my over dramatization) :D

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
03reptile said:
I like the ride quality of my GT500 but don't like the nose down, rear up, rake of the car. I installed a set of rear springs from the Eibach Pro kit (didn't install the front springs that came with the kit) and it leveled the car perfectly; however, it degraded the ride quality in the rear so much that I couldn't live with the stiff and choppy ride. I took the Eibachs out and returned the stock rears. It rides much better, but is back to the old rake that I didn't like. My question; Has anyone found a rear spring that lowers the car to a level stance, but does not increase the harshness of the rear suspension? I called Ford racing and they have a lowering kit for our Shelby GT500s but he states it may also increase suspension stiffness (minimally) so I'm back to my same problem. He also suggested cutting a 1/2 coil off my stock springs and see how much it lowers the rear. He felt this would not change the stiffness of the stock spring, but only lower the rear which is what I want. Its a trial and error procedure till you get the right height. Has anyone done this with success and if so, did the ride quality remain the same as stock? How much coil did you remove and from what end? I would rather go the coil cutting route to save $ but am open to other suggestions. Please help!

A better solution, if you can swing it, is to get a fully adjustable coil over set up like Dgussin's car. That way you can raise or lower front and rear to whatever you think looks and drives the best :rockon:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
chuckstang said:
What GT500 are you guys driving?

The stock springs/shocks are the worst I have driven. My Mazda 6, sister's Eclipse, parents Avalon, grandmother's Avenger all have a better spring/shock set up from the factory.

I bounce all over the place to the point where it is not even fun, but makes me sea sick.

I plan on doing the suspension with the FRPP handling package and I think that the car will ride better, more predictible, flatter, lesss bouncy, less jarring, less wiggles, less shimmy...

This is my only real complaint with how the car drives from the factory. Over smooth pavement the ride is nice but watch out for that crack in the road!

(please excuse my over dramatization) :D

Chuck:

Not saying that there is anything wrong with it, but you're 20 something and I'm 50 something.

I will still take my nice, softly suspended, cushy riding GT500 suspension and put it up against yours, no matter what you do to it, on any road course you choose, and you're going down like a cheap date! ;-) :poke: :p

:-D

R1Lello

Established Member
03reptile said:

At that level of lowering, do you not have to cut the rubber snubbers?? Sounds like they are hitting or touching if it's that harsh...........check it or read the instructions. I had to with my dakota when I had it and installed the front lowering springs.

chuckstang

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Chuck:

Not saying that there is anything wrong with it, but you're 20 something and I'm 50 something.

I will still take my nice, softly suspended, cushy riding GT500 suspension and put it up against yours, no matter what you do to it, on any road course you choose, and you're going down like a cheap date! ;-) :poke: :p

:-D

:bash:

03reptile

Established Member
AC427 Cobra and Chuckstang: I am a little further north of 50 yrs old and agree with AC that I prefer the ride of the stock suspension. Have had enough bone-jarrers in my day! I spoke with one of my trusted and experienced technicains at the dealership yesterday and his advise was to "leave it alone". Sounded exactly like my Dad in years past! He said if I cut the coil to lower the car, it will change the progressive rate and I will not be happy with the results. Then I'll be stuck unless I buy a new set of factory springs. Made perfect sense to me. So...... here I sit, as the old saying goes. R1Lello: There was no interference with the snubbers and I followed the installation instructions to a Tee. The springs simply were more stiff and harsh than the factory originals. We have quite a few rough roads in Md. and even my wife noticed the difference! If you knew my wife, you would understand the gravity and signifigance of that statement!!

Last edited:

03reptile

Established Member
Manowar: I think stock Mustang GT springs would render the same result since the GT has the same nose down rake that the GT500 has plus I'll bet the GT500 springs are a little stiffer. I like the ride I have with the stock suspension, just wanted to lower the rear end about 1.5"s. Thanks for your input though.

Users who are viewing this thread