Help a Newbie before I do something really stupid!

JR_Cobra

Established Member
First of all, this is a great group. Through searches I've found many answers to questions I have regarding my Cobra. Don't laugh too hard, but I have a few more...

I have driven company cars for the past 15 years - K-cars, Grand Ams, Taurus - you know, nothing exciting. A few years ago I took a different position that did not include a car. Finally, I could get something with a little power. Having 2 kids and occasionally needing a back seat, the Mustang GT was a perfect choice. Last month I moved up to an 03 Torch Red 10 Anniversary convertible. What a great car! I've added a few exterior "enhancements" (SS Inserts, front Cobra emblem, Valentine, tinting, Zaino) and I want to do some performance modifications. Problem is, I know next to nothing about the engineering of a car. No clue what a Catback is, what it does, etc! I've figured out what a CAI is, and it sound like I should want one!

I could really use your help!

I would like to do some warrantee friendly work on the car. Here’s what I’m looking for…

- My Cobra is a daily driver, 30 miles/day, mostly highway.

- I don't want a loud exhaust, just a bit more low rumble with more power.

- I'll never take it to the track, but I do want it to have even more impressive street performance

- I do want to maximize the power without adding at KB. I'll do that in a couple of years.

- I just turned 1100 miles.

- Where in DFW (preferably north Dallas) should I go for this type of work?

Thanks for your help!
Jeff

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
A catback is the exhaust pipes and mufflers from behind the catalytic converters to the back of the car. [Hence cat back]. There are a bunch of different cat back set ups on the market. The most popular seem to be the Magnaflow [cheaper] and the Bassani [about $500-$600]. The Borla stingers are becoming popular but they are louder. Do a search for exhaust sound clips or attend a Cobra meeting and listen to other people's systems to get an idea of the sound they make. Some people have sound clips in their signatures. The horsepower gains are similar for most brands so you can choose by what sound you like best...

I'm sure the Texas people can point you in the right direction as far as shops go. :)

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I would add a catback and CAI. :)

A catback is 1 of 3 pieces to your exhuast system. It is the last piece that connects the H pipe (the part with cats) to the mufflers. Adding a catack can result in a better sounding exhaust and more power. If you are looking for a quiet catback I would probably get a steeda/borla or a magnaflow.

A CAI stands for Cold Air Intake. I would personally reccomend the C&L kit if you are going to keep a chip out of your car for a while. The kit consists of a big 9'' filter, 95mm C&L mass air meter, and a heat shield. The Steeda and the Amazon CAIs are also nice too. If you bring you car in for warranty, I would recommend removing your CAI. Especially the C&L kit. You don't want to give them something to complain about.

I would also install an aftermarket shifter. I personally use the steeda shifter and love it. The Pro5.0 shifter is also a nice unit.

I don't know much about shops in Dallas, but I think strickly pro is out of Dallas and they just built the fastest 03 cobra according to MMFF. You or any muffler shop can install a catback. CAIs and shifters are also a piece of cake to install. Just read the directions. Half the fun of modding it doing the work yourself.

Down the road when you want more power, just upgrade the upper pulley and a performance chip. I don't think we should go there until you are ready.

Last edited:

sloopjonb

Established Member
The path you are following, and the reasons, are similar to mine. Mine is one of two daily drivers I have, 92 miles to work and back. It is hard to get a cat-back system that just adds some low rumble, but some are more controllable than others. After reading many reviews and comments, I bought the Steeda cat-back system. It is made by Borla for Steeda, and they tuned out the common drone at 2000-2200 rpm that many of the systems are guilty of. It adds more than low rumble, but the sound is mellow until you stomp on it. You really need to add a CAI at the same time, so that you have low restriction going in and out. I bought the K&N Aircharger (Part No. 63-1051), which I installed in about an hour.

These two mods REALLY woke the car up, with much more power than before. Not only that, it now SOUNDS like a Cobra should. You will probably be very satisfied with just these two mods, plus they are generally accepted by the dealers in terms of the car's warranty. My dealer actually installed the cat-back. I may go further at some point, but not until my warranty is up.

nj7703

Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you. Because i have a convertible, going to the track is pretty much a no go, since at the speeds our cars are capable of right off the showroom, rollbars are pretty much a must, and i am not killing the look of my car. I was on the fence about it until i went to a dyno day last weekend, and heard some exhaust tones that were amazing. I for one will do the CAI and the Cat back for starters. I will also replace my shifter with a Tri-Ax, or something aftermarket. I am going with the Magnaflow catback because it still sounded "civilized" at low rpm, at idle, but when opened up had a great sound. I do however see how the "mod bug" could become out of control, these cars just LOVE to be modded more and more. :-D

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
I would add a catback and CAI.

And let it alone after that if you're interested in maintaining the warranty. You'll add decent power and sound, relatively cheaply.

I did the same. My performance mods are done and I'm quite happy with the results.

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
call Jason at Doug Stanley Ford in Desoto. Its not north Dallas, but its not too far off either. Oh yeah, thats me.
Call me and if we cant hook up together I can get you in touch with some closer shops that wil treat you right.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Come to one of our Dallas area GTGs and listen for your self.

Then you can pick the sound you like the best.

-Brian

JR_Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies.

What is the benefit of an aftermarket shifter? I've read that they are noisy?

What's the pully mod I hear so much about?

I will be attending the DFW get-togethers whenever I can.

Thanks!

jshen

Established Member
Add-ons

I bought magnaflow cat back exhaust and Steeda Cold Air Intake...and instead of buying a $175.00 shifter, I just replaced the handle with the piece in my signature. The shifter handle is the culprit that makes for sloppy shifting. These combos keep me warranty friendly and it IS a big difference over stock.

Keep in mind if you parts..SAVE YOUR STOCK STUFF..for several reasons. Some dealers wanna see the stock air box on it if you have motor issues [My dealer in GA] Second, I think these cars are going to worth something as a collector some day and those stock parts will just add to value.

Pully mods...bad thing//warranty goes to hell. However, if you decrease the size of your upper pulley, it spins supercahrger faster, and hence more "boost" and power. Tremendous horsepower gains but at quite a price...your warranty.

I hope you enjoy the car...I've got 8,500 miles and just love the "kick ass" performance.
:D

Last edited:

nj7703

Established Member
For me, the stock shifter is just frustrating. 3rd gear is hit or miss. Even when i use the open palm of my hand, it does not always want to go into 3rd. I for one just think it feels slopy. I had a chance to try a Tri-Ax recently, nice short close throws, just seems like less effort. Just 1 noobs opinion. I don't think i will go the way of pulley/chip. Basically a smalley pulley on the supercharger spins the unit faster, producing more boost, and more power. It is sort of like on a bicycle, using the smallest sprocket on a 10 speed, gives you the most speed. I like the factory warranty, so i won;t get too nutty with the mods, after it runs out perhaps then i will opt for more. I only plan on putting 5k miles a year so it should have 15 or 29k miles whem my warranty runs out.

Users who are viewing this thread