HELP! 2nd gear grind...need advice on taking to dealer.

charged87

Established Member
Well it started as a very small grind In upper rpm back in January when I bought it but now I can't even bring it past 3k in 1st to 2nd without a long and very LOUD grind.. I literally have to drive it like an old lady going to 2nd which means somewhere around 2k. It also sometimes locks me out altogether from going in at high rpm. I hate the fact I have to bring it in as I hate the whole BS process they put you through but I feel I have no choice now. First off I switched to amsoil ATF a month back no charge. Just put the drake shelby shifter today again nothing. ...I ended up putting the stock shifter back in just so it wouldn't get blamed as being the problem. I rather be the only one who works on my car but I'm out of options other than just taking it in. Basically has anyone gone through this and what should I expect? I'm so frustrated with it doing this that I'm seriously considering trading in the car.

SuperFly03

Established Member
Usually shifter plus AMSOIL knocks out most of the issue. Are you at WOT when it grinds? If not, could be a foot hand timing mismatch. It is sensitive.

bossnova3

Established Member
I'm sorry to say that your 1 to 2 second synchro is gone, search around for the TSB but depending on the dealer it's an uphill battle to say the least. They'll want to blame it on you and if it where me I would call first because by the time they're tearing into it without even giving you a quote you're in for an expensive repair, ask first because if it's gonna be upwards of 1k it'll be a wise investment to get the t56 magnum xl.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I'm sorry to say that your 1 to 2 second synchro is gone, search around for the TSB but depending on the dealer it's an uphill battle to say the least. They'll want to blame it on you and if it where me I would call first because by the time they're tearing into it without even giving you a quote you're in for an expensive repair, ask first because if it's gonna be upwards of 1k it'll be a wise investment to get the t56 magnum xl.

Wouldn't this naturally be covered under warranty? He has a 2010 though so I don't know if he is out of it, but that should be covered under the 5 year\60k power-train...

charged87

Established Member
Usually shifter plus AMSOIL knocks out most of the issue. Are you at WOT when it grinds? If not, could be a foot hand timing mismatch. It is sensitive.

Nope not at all... just driving normal it does it. It only has 11300 miles so im sure its still covered by ford.

SuperFly03

Established Member
I used to grind mine ever so slightly before I got my hand and foot in sync. If it's that bad at 11k miles I'd just take it in. You should be covered.

charged87

Established Member
I used to grind mine ever so slightly before I got my hand and foot in sync. If it's that bad at 11k miles I'd just take it in. You should be covered.
It's funny I thought it was me at first till I tried depressing the clutch for a few seconds and waiting before I shifted to 2nd and it still had a grind.... All the rest of the gears are perfect. It's driving me nuts that I don't even want to take it out of the garage.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
It's funny I thought it was me at first till I tried depressing the clutch for a few seconds and waiting before I shifted to 2nd and it still had a grind.... All the rest of the gears are perfect. It's driving me nuts that I don't even want to take it out of the garage.

Could you possibly do a video of the 2nd gear grind if it's not too much of a burden? Also how does AMSOIL vs the stock trans-fluid actually solve some issues?

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Oh BTW apparently the synchro test, as I know bossnova was saying your synchros were toast, is to just start it, put it in neutral, no foot on the clutch, and apply 10lbs or so of force for 3 seconds trying to get it into 1st. If it goes the synchros are toast. If not, it is something else, as it should lock you out and not even grind.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
If you are taking it in is the color of the Amsoil the same as the factory tranny fluid? I wouldn't mention the fluid change.

tom

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Well it started as a very small grind In upper rpm back in January when I bought it but now I can't even bring it past 3k in 1st to 2nd without a long and very LOUD grind.. I literally have to drive it like an old lady going to 2nd which means somewhere around 2k. It also sometimes locks me out altogether from going in at high rpm. I hate the fact I have to bring it in as I hate the whole BS process they put you through but I feel I have no choice now. First off I switched to amsoil ATF a month back no charge. Just put the drake shelby shifter today again nothing. ...I ended up putting the stock shifter back in just so it wouldn't get blamed as being the problem. I rather be the only one who works on my car but I'm out of options other than just taking it in. Basically has anyone gone through this and what should I expect? I'm so frustrated with it doing this that I'm seriously considering trading in the car.

5yr power train still in effect?

charged87

Established Member
Oh BTW apparently the synchro test, as I bossnova was saying your synchros were toast, is to just start it, put it in neutral, no foot on the clswitching d apply 10lbs or so of force for 3 seconds trying to get it into 1st. If it goes the synchros are toast. If not, it is something else, as it should lock you out and not even grind.

I thought I seen a link on here before about do that test. not sure what exactly the dealer goes by to determine a bad synchro. I'll try and get a video up of c it, as far as switching to amsoil over stock that's all I've seen on here to do and some guys had the problem go away from just putting in a full synthetic oil.

charged87

Established Member
tomshep;1st said:
If you are taking it in is the color of the Amsoil the same as the factory tranny fluid? I wouldn't mention the fluid change.

tom

I wasn't going to mention it even though it was doing it way before I even changed it, I know they would blame it on that I'm sure.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
No one can even remotely attribute it to a new fluid if the new fluid meets or exceeds OEM spec.

^ This is true. If it meets it, it's fine, if it exceeds it, better, but you could still get an idiotic service manager, so you'd be talking for a bit before they went ahead with the fix. Though my Ford dealership RECOMMENDS Amsoil, still before I swap fluids I'm going to double-check, as yeah, you never know how dealerships are until you have built up a relationship with them.

Please do post a vid of it if you can, my 1-2 I don't hear a grind, it's just you have to pull it a lot harder into 2nd than I think you should, 2nd is a two notch feel through movement, all other gears are 1, so I always know if I don't feel two notches when shifting into 2nd, if that makes any sense, it's going to pop out of 2nd gear, upshifting or downshifting.

Last edited:

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member

So according to that, Amsoil\anything aside from M1 = they tell you to piss off? That does not seem right. Tremec comes off as a pretty sketch company, if it meets the specs, let alone exceeds, I mean who has ever talked smack about Amsoil? And they STILL try to void your warranty over fluid, come on. If it makes it smoother, it is extending the life of the trans.

Is there an official statement aside from a 4 post thread proving Tremec said this? I mean you search Amsoil and TR6060 and it's almost as if 1\2 of owners are putting it in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread