HELP 03 TERMI NO SPARK!

Yellatermi03

Established Member
Cool has 2 wires.

1 is 12volts from fuse.

The other is ground wire pcm uses to trigger coil.
what fuse would it be? ive checked all ( 3 if I remember correctly) ignition fuses in the fuse box under the hood. is there any others?
ill check later today when I back off work. this is driving me crazy, the car cranks just fine, you get very strong smell of fuel but no spark.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, I pulled the frps and had my buddy turn the key and im getting fuel, also when you crank it you can smell the raw fuel. I pulled a few coils and put a spark plug in it and cranked but no spark.
When my FRPS went, it's been 6 or 7 years. But if I remember, when you remove the sensor, and you smell or see fuel, its no good. No need to have a buddy crank the car. I think you might have a FRPS issue. When hotcobra03 is asking 12v at the COP, unhook it from the harness, and check the prongs inside the harness connection. Using a multimeter, check for a 12v signal. Then you will know of you have power at the COP, you are not going to get shocked when a thumb is over the end of the COP. Add a plug, grab the COP, find a suitable ground ground the threads of the plug. Have someone crank the car, while making sure the plug is touching the grounded metal source.

Yellatermi03

Established Member
When my FRPS went, it's been 6 or 7 years. But if I remember, when you remove the sensor, and you smell or see fuel, its no good. No need to have a buddy crank the car. I think you might have a FRPS issue. When hotcobra03 is asking 12v at the COP, unhook it from the harness, and check the prongs inside the harness connection. Using a multimeter, check for a 12v signal. Then you will know of you have power at the COP, you are not going to get shocked when a thumb is over the end of the COP. Add a plug, grab the COP, find a suitable ground ground the threads of the plug. Have someone crank the car, while making sure the plug is touching the grounded metal source.
I understand and you are 100% correct that my thumb is not suitable to test. I tried starting fluid as well and it did nothing. I also replaced the frps already.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I understand and you are 100% correct that my thumb is not suitable to test. I tried starting fluid as well and it did nothing. I also replaced the frps already.
Starting fluid in the cylinder? Check for spark with the plug in the COP, ground it. Or 12v at the harness. Starting fluid is not a great substitute for troubleshooting. When I did the FRPS, also after changing it, I had to flat the accelerator, and it would crank for a bit before it cleared up to fire. When you get it running again, change the oil, most likely plenty of fuel in it. I never saw any info you posted on actually replacing the FRPS. Just checking it. You'll get this figured out and be up and running soon.

hotcobra03

Established Member
what fuse would it be? ive checked all ( 3 if I remember correctly) ignition fuses in the fuse box under the hood. is there any others?
ill check later today when I back off work. this is driving me crazy, the car cranks just fine, you get very strong smell of fuel but no spark.

Yes many more fuses to check.

It’s alway best to check every fuse.

Some are hot at all times
Some with key on
A couple will power when lights come

Something now says you most likely have a blown fuse that started this no start.

CobraSam

Established Member
Ya you definitely need to concentrate on verifying spark isn’t occurring in each cylinder. Easiest is to buy a good plug/coil tester. You’ll be chasing ghosts unless you verify for sure. I have a feeling it could be ECM related. Or the corresponding wiring. I just had a code which was a loose connection in the coil connector. It did shut down fuel to that cylinder. FYI

Yellatermi03

Established Member
Yes many more fuses to check.

It’s alway best to check every fuse.

Some are hot at all times
Some with key on
A couple will power when lights come

Something now says you most likely have a blown fuse that started this no start.
location of these fuses?

Yellatermi03

Established Member
upload_2020-5-20_11-46-15.png
this might be a stupid question but where are these in correlation to the car? also what is there function?

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-20_11-45-49.png
    upload_2020-5-20_11-45-49.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 77

hotcobra03

Established Member
Fuse box locations.

F1. Next to battery.
F2 under steering wheel
Than 3rd box is on passenger fender for cooling fan and intercooler pump

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Ya you definitely need to concentrate on verifying spark isn’t occurring in each cylinder. Easiest is to buy a good plug/coil tester. You’ll be chasing ghosts unless you verify for sure. I have a feeling it could be ECM related. Or the corresponding wiring. I just had a code which was a loose connection in the coil connector. It did shut down fuel to that cylinder. FYI

+1, I've had the car stall, no start, smelled like fuel and similar codes. It was the FRPS, don't think I saw that ruled out yet. Either way I'd confirm no spark before going nuts. Plus this was you can unplug the injectors or trip the fuel shutoff. That way you can test for spark with confidence (visual proof) while trying to troubleshoot. Just cranking away is going to end up dumping a fair amount of fuel into your oil after awhile.

**Also haven't seen mentioned, you have pushed the red button in the trunk so make sure it's not the inertia switch right? Probably have just making sure.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
**Also haven't seen mentioned, you have pushed the red button in the trunk so make sure it's not the inertia switch right? Probably have just making sure.

I was originally thinking the inertia switch too but he keeps saying there's always a fuel smell, inertia switch eliminates that

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I was originally thinking the inertia switch too but he keeps saying there's always a fuel smell, inertia switch eliminates that

I was thinking that too but thought it there was any residual pressure in the line... maybe. Just something simple to check.

I've replaced the FRPS, also the red button is not popped up

That sucks, just double checking you checked all the easy stuff first. Sometimes you forget the simple things once you jump into the more advanced stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread