hellion twins k member and engine mounts?

Darufe

Established Member
Trying to shed some weight off the nose and have more room to work.
Anyone know if bmr/upr k members fit properly and if the 1/2 inch lower mounts will still let the steering column clear the driver side downpipe?

Also ive seen mixed answers as to the viability of those k members for track use?
Not sure id want to go with a grugs sla setup as ive seen alot of people complain about those setups...

Any thoughts?

BMR Tech

Darufe

Established Member
How bout the engine mount options? Id like to get the weight as low as possible (also might help clearance for bigger intake manifold while keeping a strut tower brace...something most people dont worry about since all they want is straight line acceleration...)

BMR Tech

What exactly are you questioning about the engine mount options?

If it is clearance, then I am not too sure - like I was saying above, you may want to call Hellion and see what they have to say about how far the engine can go up, or down.

Most people use the KM018 with the Hellion Twin kit.

Remember, our "standard" height K-Member can also be used to drop the engine down 1/2"....but that requires turning it into a solid mounting system.

Darufe

Established Member
km018+ what part for solid mounting? ill have to call hellion and see if it will fit with the lowered engine (theres often issues clearing the steering with stock height so im a bit skeptical about fitting it lower still but im hoping!)\

BMR Tech

You don't need another part, to make it solid, if you use the KM018 and drop the engine. You just remove the upper poly bushing on the motor mount system, and set the metal on the BMR plate. You likely wont know what I am saying, unless you had it in front of you.

If you want a solid engine mount system with the standard height, we have a solid engine mount upgrade for ALL of our K-Members:

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/index....cleid=1&maincatid=59&catid=171&productid=1291

Darufe

Established Member
ahhh very nice. so the km018 without the poly bushing is going to be solid mount 1/2 inch drop or keep the bushings for stock height, and if i want solid mount+stock height just oder the 50$ solid mount option is what i gather from all this?
sounds like i cant really go wrong with the km018

Torchy

Established Member
Not going to be able to go lower with the motor. In fact if you shim the motor up about 1/16-1/8 you'd be doing yourself a favor... To say the area between the shaft and the DP is a tight fit, would be an understatement.

Darufe

Established Member
yeah tell me about it....was a PITA to fit and took many manipulatons of the down pipe to actualy not rub while turning.
im guessing solid mounts will remove some of that deflection while turning.
wish there was a way to clear that stupid shaft and get the motor lower.
maybe lower sterring rack??

Torchy

Established Member
Yeah I hear ya man. I pulled the DP and attempted to put a slight dimple in it with a ball peen. Also it wouldn't hurt to shave the outer edge of the header flange down. Yeah going solid mounts would def reduce the steering deflection. No one really knows how much these motors move until you have a Hellion TT kit hahaha.

A lower steering rack would be nice.

BMR Tech

You basically got it Darufe.

As for the lower rack, and lowering the motor...etc......just order the KM020, and order the MM006 Soild Mounts.

After installing, and having issues, call me. I can do this stuff in my sleep.

Install KM020 that drops the engine 1/2"
Install the MM006 Solid Mounts
Shave the rack mounts down on our K-Member, to drop the rack

If this doesn't work, then we can shim the engine back up to the OEM height, or even higher since you will have two sets of our engine mounts.

If you go the KM020....you can always raise the engine back up to OEM, or even higher than OEM.

With the KM020, you have the option to have a full 1" of engine drop, up to 1/2" HIGHER than OEM.

With the KM018, you have the option to have 1/2" of engine drop, up to 1/2" HIGHER than OEM.

BMR Tech

No, just order (1) set.

You have mounts that come with the K....so you will have two complete sets after ordering the solids...

Users who are viewing this thread