Hellion Twin Turbo Kit

Mashburn94

Established Member
What kind of power should I be making on pump gas? Mods are 6266 Twin Precision Turbos, 01 Cobra IM, 80# Ford Racing Injectors, Fore Innovations Dual AEM pump system, 8.5:1 Compression, stock heads, 17#'s of boost, BA5000 MAF.
Car has been tuned, I just think the numbers are to low.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
750ish id say. i have the same kit but I had some old ass 61s on it at the time. stock motor 17lbs made 750whp on 93 oct.

BUT... all dynos are different. how much timing does it have in it?

Mashburn94

Established Member
This is why I was posting. 750 is roughly what I was expecting. It made 678 Horsepower and les than 600 lb feet.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
That seems somewhat normal for a mostly stock car with a turbo kit. My car on the stock longblock made 600/600 on ~13lbs with a conservative tune. Adding 4 pounds would put your numbers right on. The internet has everyone fooled that if you put on a turbo kit you automatically can make 1krwhp with an 03 cobra.

1raresnake

Established Member
That seems somewhat normal for a mostly stock car with a turbo kit. My car on the stock longblock made 600/600 on ~13lbs with a conservative tune. Adding 4 pounds would put your numbers right on. The internet has everyone fooled that if you put on a turbo kit you automatically can make 1krwhp with an 03 cobra.

^+1.....

s351

Established Member
I don't know twin 62's not making 700, I wouldn't be to happy. Is this a t56 car or auto? and what octane fuel?

1990jmcturbo

@03svtjmc
Established Member
i would think thats normal. turbo is going to make more power then my power robbing 2.9 whipple. and 17lbs on 93 octane mine made 630 and 560 torque on a dyno jet. ( wanting to go turbo also!)

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Id expect 58s to make the power the op is making at that boost. What plugs do you have and what are they gapped at? How much timing? 93 octane right? T65? Clutch new or old?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
The size of the turbo has nothing to do with power at lower levels of boost in terms of peak power. He could have twin 76's and they still would put out the same boost (restriction) albeit with a ton more lag. Efficiency of the turbo does play a roll but in this instance the fact that he has twin 62's does not = more power. He has a totally stock motor with some boost in it. Expecting ~800rwhp out of it is a stretch at only 17 lbs and what I would imagine is a safe tune.

modular89

Established Member
When I had my Hellion TT kit with 62mm turbos I made 830rwhp and 798tq on 22lbs with 93 and meth. I also had an 01 Cobra intake, stock long block, return fuel system and 80lbs injectors

Eatonualive281

Established Member
The size of the turbo has nothing to do with power at lower levels of boost in terms of peak power. He could have twin 76's and they still would put out the same boost (restriction) albeit with a ton more lag. Efficiency of the turbo does play a roll but in this instance the fact that he has twin 62's does not = more power. He has a totally stock motor with some boost in it. Expecting ~800rwhp out of it is a stretch at only 17 lbs and what I would imagine is a safe tune.

He isnt expecting 800whp at 17psi.

What do you mean about the turbo size and boost? So a single 76 wont make more than a single 58 (obviously there is alot more to in that inducer size) at 17psi?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
He isnt expecting 800whp at 17psi.

What do you mean about the turbo size and boost? So a single 76 wont make more than a single 58 (obviously there is alot more to in that inducer size) at 17psi?

Why would it? Boost is a measure of restriction, holding EVERYTHING else the same (including the efficiency and back pressure) they would make nearly identical power.

To argue over dyno numbers is about the worst thing you can possibly do. Dyno's differ all over the country, heat, humidity, elevation all play a huge roll in the power it makes. A mustang dyno even more so as the operator has a lot of control in what the dyno spits out.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
When I had my Hellion TT kit with 62mm turbos I made 830rwhp and 798tq on 22lbs with 93 and meth. I also had an 01 Cobra intake, stock long block, return fuel system and 80lbs injectors

Congrats? You add 5lbs of boost, greatly reduced intake charge temp, and were able to run more timing. That is on par with making just south of 700rwhp with his setup.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
not arguing about dyno numbers at all. he makes what he makes. they are merely a tuning tool.

so a t3/t4 framed 58 with a .5x ar would make the same as a t4 76 with .96 ar? same boost? no it wouldnt.

i dont know his turbo specs but im speaking in generalities here. not starting a pissing match. the 58s and the 62s that hellion specs out are very different, alot of variables.

op. if you are really worried, then do a compression test and take a peek at the plugs.

better yet take it to the track and see how it does. that is the true litmus test.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
not arguing about dyno numbers at all. he makes what he makes. they are merely a tuning tool.

so a t3/t4 framed 58 with a .5x ar would make the same as a t4 76 with .96 ar? same boost? no it wouldnt.

i dont know his turbo specs but im speaking in generalities here. not starting a pissing match. the 58s and the 62s that hellion specs out are very different, alot of variables.

op. if you are really worried, then do a compression test and take a peek at the plugs.

better yet take it to the track and see how it does. that is the true litmus test.

They would make almost identical power, the only thing that would change is spool time assuming that the turbine can move the air required. If back pressure becomes an issue then yes the power output changes but as I said holding ALL things the same changing the inducer size will not create MORE power at the EXACT same airflow. Any additional air gathered by the larger inducer would be bled off by the wastegate (thus why 17 lbs is 17 lbs regardless of if you had twin 76mm turbos). The ONLY advantage in his turbo's over say GT35r's is that they are more efficient and that does translate to increased response and ability to flow MORE air overall.

Imagine this, a straw, you blow through an end with x amount of air, there is no resistance the straw is able to support all x amount of air. You grab a bigger straw and blow the same x amount of air, the air is still able to be supported by the straw and the end result on the other end is the same amount of air. If I blow Y amount of air and it happens to be more than the straw can support THEN a larger straw would be able to support MORE air. Up to that point the larger straw is of no advantage.

By your theory everyone should run 88mm pro mods on their stock long block cars because they would make the most power at 17 lbs of boost.

Mashburn94

Established Member

Timing is +17, Brand New Spec Stage 3+, stock T56 Trans. Not saying it should make 800 plus.
I think there is an issue. Your example already made more torque on less boost. I did not break into 600's. Hellion also told me that 750 would be a good number to make with this setup. So I know it is making less than it should.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Timing is +17, Brand New Spec Stage 3+, stock T56 Trans. Not saying it should make 800 plus.
I think there is an issue. Your example already made more torque on less boost. I did not break into 600's. Hellion also told me that 750 would be a good number to make with this setup. So I know it is making less than it should.

Was it a Mustang dyno? Are those numbers corrected or uncorrected? What elevation, temp, humidity? What kind of numbers have other cars put down on the dyno? 17 degrees isn't a whole lot but with that much boost on pump I understand why. If this was on e85 you'd make the number you want.

Users who are viewing this thread