Hellion Twin Turbo Kit: Pros vs Cons

stradt03

Established Member
I'm looking to go with a twin turbo kit and have narrowed it down to either A) Hellion Twin Turbo kit, through TRBO VNM or B) CG Fab hot and cold side and piecing it together myself.

What are the pros and cons of the Hellion kit? I'm looking at 6622 Precision ball bearing billet wheeled turbos

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
I forgot who told me, but they saw power loss going to the jba shorty headers and put back the stock manifolds. I guess for the street it would work. The stock manifolds. when my buddy built his tt cobra he knew he wanted a big mph and didnt go with the hellion bc of the stock manifolds and didnt want to install the 99/01 cobra intake manifold. I remember busters car went high 8's at 155mph with that kit. My buddy went low 8's at over 165mph with the hp kit that had the revised headers and the hpp upper sullivan lower combo

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
What is the cost difference between the two set-ups? Do you have to use a scavenger pump with the Hellion kit? Also, I guess it depends if you wnat to see the turbos or not.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
I forgot who told me, but they saw power loss going to the jba shorty headers and put back the stock manifolds.
That's interesting. I've often wondered if headers actually offer any advantage performance-wise vs. the logs. I heard that Hellion tested the logs vs. headers and saw no difference. Obviously their kit uses the logs so hopefully it was an honest back to back test. Other than that, one advantage would be that you can point the headers and end up in the exact direction/location you want.

modular89

Established Member
Yeah the Hellion uses a scavenger pump. If I ever go turbo again I would use a kit that does not use a pump. My hellion kit smoked like my diesel truck whenever I was in high boost. I guess the pump couldn't keep up with the oil demand. I talked with a few others that had the same problem when running a scavenger pump.

stradt03

Established Member
Yeah the Hellion uses a scavenger pump. If I ever go turbo again I would use a kit that does not use a pump. My hellion kit smoked like my diesel truck whenever I was in high boost. I guess the pump couldn't keep up with the oil demand. I talked with a few others that had the same problem when running a scavenger pump.

See, this is the thing that scares me about the Hellion (and other low mounted options). On the other hand, I've also heard this same claim but then I've also heard that it is a greater issue with the Turbonetics turbos and is not an issue with the Precision turbos. I would be going with BB/Billet wheel Precision turbos.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
I will say that I have low mount turbos behind the bumper along with a scavenger pump and have had zero issues. I have Precision turbos though. Can you get the Hellion kit without turbos and swap in the Precision BB variety? That's what I would be doing (they use less oil also vs. journal bearing). Their turbos have some crazy wheels in them.

stradt03

Established Member
I will say that I have low mount turbos behind the bumper along with a scavenger pump and have had zero issues. I have Precision turbos though. Can you get the Hellion kit without turbos and swap in the Precision BB variety? That's what I would be doing (they use less oil also vs. journal bearing). Their turbos have some crazy wheels in them.

Good data point! I have heard that Precisions will work much better in the low mount orientations compared to the turbonetics.

stangfreak

Established Member
I wish the cg fab kit was complete. You have get the rest made up and buy misc parts. I have done blower swaps but not fabricate turbo kits.

stradt03

Established Member
I wish the cg fab kit was complete. You have get the rest made up and buy misc parts. I have done blower swaps but not fabricate turbo kits.

I agree, if he would offer a complete kit I'd be on board for sure. I just don't know enough about turbo systems to be able to piece together my own.

stangfreak

Established Member
They should design it off a popular k member if they just want to offer the turbo kit and supply everything else for the install.

MG0h3

Established Member
I agree, if he would offer a complete kit I'd be on board for sure. I just don't know enough about turbo systems to be able to piece together my own.

Check out theturboforums. Id never even seen a turbo on a car and built mine, other than the headers that I got from BG. A company called race parts solutions has the piping, oil feed/return kits, etc. all put together for you.

I'm sure someone even sells a cold side kit that you can put together with silicone connectors. I cut and welded mine all together; wont be doing that again.

stangfreak

Established Member
hp is out of business. mustang magic, the shop I go to, was going to buy his machines to make the kits. I think, he will still make up kits. Im just not sure how to get in touch with hp. I know back in the day people would bash the hp kits. Honestly, two of my friends have them, and they fit perfectly on the car, no problems, and there both 8 second cars.

Users who are viewing this thread