Hellion TT, Where are you guys installing IAT sensor? plz

BigmotoXer

Established Member
2011 gt, I've read and read on this topic(Intake air temp sensor) but can't seem to find this info on 2011-2014. I know to install sensor after intercooler/before intake. But I'd like to ask someone with this kit from their experience where and how the best location for sensor. I thought I'd ask before just drilling and tapping somewhere you know?
Thanks for any/all info

Doug1227

Established Member
Just to be clear, you're proposing to pull the IAT wiring out of the MAF loom and install a seperate IAT sensor right? The factory wiring incorporates the MAF and IAT signal in the same location, so whereever your maf is now, that's where your IAT is. Mine on my Hellion kit is on the outlet side of the intercooler. Why are you moving it? I know some people do, but it's usually based on a need, like you want to spray Meth after the intercooler and you want to measure the new IAT downstream of the injection.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
hey sorry it took me so long to get back, I would leave the one on the outlet of the intercooler, but I wanted to install one prior to the intercooler. temperature in and temperature out.

Doug1227

Established Member
Are you just gonna monitor it as an analog input with SCT? I guess it'd have to be either on the inlet piping for ONE turbo or in the inlet "tank" side of the intercooler.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
And I know this's off topic but I need to know. So question= you're 11:1 compression. How many lbs boost? What octane do you run?

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Are you just gonna monitor it as an analog input with SCT? I guess it'd have to be either on the inlet piping for ONE turbo or in the inlet "tank" side of the intercooler.

The thing is that I have a gauge that reads hot and cold side of intercooler(dual analog needles) ...but I'm getting ahead of myself because I don't get the TT kit until Thursday. So, yes I'd only be able to monitor one turbo(on the hot side), but I'll wait until I at least have the TT kit everything else has been planned out, this(gauge)can wait. Sorry. But thanks. Sweet ride btw

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Don't see a reason to move the AIT sensor. It's not a PD blower where you wanna see after blower temps. Pre and post intercooler temp monitoring would be good if you had a air to water but for air to air why do you really want to see both? Just curious.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
Don't see a reason to move the AIT sensor. It's not a PD blower where you wanna see after blower temps. Pre and post intercooler temp monitoring would be good if you had a air to water but for air to air why do you really want to see both? Just curious.

Over the last few years, for way too many reasons to list, I've been obsessed with a/f, barometric pressure atmospheric pressure colder temperatures versus hotter temperatures spring summer winner excetra excetra excetra there's too much to list why I want to know what the temperatures are before the intercooler...and after

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Your crazy man lol. Anyways it should be very easy to just have a fitting welded to the inlet side of the intercooler. Or if the intercooler inlet is thick enough just drill and tap a hole. At that point it's just a matter of getting a sensor that will read correctly. I know Beefcake had a write up about using I think a gt500 sensor for the PD blower guys.

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
Your crazy man lol. Anyways it should be very easy to just have a fitting welded to the inlet side of the intercooler. Or if the intercooler inlet is thick enough just drill and tap a hole. At that point it's just a matter of getting a sensor that will read correctly. I know Beefcake had a write up about using I think a gt500 sensor for the PD blower guys.

Blower guys have to run two sensors because the maf is before the blower, so they add the one after the blower. Adding one pre intercooler will do nothing for the OP, not like you can change the ambient air temp since you will run a air to air intercooler. if you prefer to have the interior look like a spaceship with useless info then I guess I can see doing it lol.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
False. Only need 1. If it's a PD blower it needs to be moved from the maf to under the blower to be more effective. Everyone else the maf is after the blower/turbo which is after the intercooler so it's seeing the same temp or close to what hits the intake.

BigmotoXer

Established Member
This has gotten waay too crazy. I just want to know what my hot side is and I want to know what my cold side is. Period. I could go into detail about the humidity vs dense colder air, moisture vs dry, watching the how the performance of my ride changes(the fast days n the not so snappy-fast days directly proportional to these factors), I have theories, and ideas based on my experiences and I want to know when what makes what do what when and why. Not useless info to me Fabbed 5.0 ....I'm just welding a bung in primary side, I'm good thanks guys.

mhyjek

Established Member
This has gotten waay too crazy. I just want to know what my hot side is and I want to know what my cold side is. Period. I could go into detail about the humidity vs dense colder air, moisture vs dry, watching the how the performance of my ride changes(the fast days n the not so snappy-fast days directly proportional to these factors), I have theories, and ideas based on my experiences and I want to know when what makes what do what when and why. Not useless info to me Fabbed 5.0 ....I'm just welding a bung in primary side, I'm good thanks guys.
I would put it closer to TB then in case you put meth in that way not only could you see how weather changes it but you could also affect it with meth just my 2 cents...

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member

It's not hard man. Just put it where you think will get the best days for what you wanna use it for. Wanna go all science on us that's cool but you are not gonna see many that put the sensor or multiple sensors in other places besides the MAF with a turbo car. What gauge are you using btw?

Users who are viewing this thread