Hellcat done to steal thrunder from 2015 Mustang?

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
So is Dodge is getting a lot of press due to their release of the 2015 Hellcat that has over 700HP and can run 11.2 sec 1/4 mile times on street tires and 10.8 with slicks. Pretty Impressive, and puts other OE's to shame for their lack of such performance.

Do you think the Hellcat will cause Ford to create an 11 second street version of the 2015 Mustang?

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
I sure hope you are right.

I keep hearing that Ford and Shelby have split, so no GT500 from Ford. Giving the size of the new Shelby facility in Vegas, I suspect they will be doing their own Shelby version of the 2015, but that will not be a true "production car" like the Hellcat.

What have you heard about a SVT version of the 2015?

4VFTW

Established Member
what makes you think the '15 GT wont be capable of running in the 11's on a good tire? its been done with the current model already

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Oh I understand you can get a 5.0L 2014 into the 11s so the 2015 should get there as well. Just that the Hellcat is claimed to run 11.2 as delivered from the factory and that is getting a lot of press for Dodge along with their 710HP rating.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I sure hope you are right.

I keep hearing that Ford and Shelby have split, so no GT500 from Ford. Giving the size of the new Shelby facility in Vegas, I suspect they will be doing their own Shelby version of the 2015, but that will not be a true "production car" like the Hellcat.

What have you heard about a SVT version of the 2015?

The Shelby facility has nothing to do with the Shelby SVTs. The Vegas facility is for Shelby's in house cars only. SVT builds the GT500 and any follow up SVT projects on their own buildings. Shelby has very little to do with the projects SVT is working on, the work is all done by SVT, Ford just struck a deal to put Shelby's name on it.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
This.

I don't see Ford answering Dodges call unless it makes some SVT car in the form of an automatic.

Even though this Challenger model doesn't really compete against the soon to be revealed 'Stang, SRT 100% without a doubt shat all over Ford's reveal plan and stole their thunder. You can't deny that.

Even though the 'Stang is all new, HP still sells, and 4xx doesn't get peoples attention like 700 lol.

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
Even though this Challenger model doesn't really compete against the soon to be revealed 'Stang, SRT 100% without a doubt shat all over Ford's reveal plan and stole their thunder. You can't deny that.

Even though the 'Stang is all new, HP still sells, and 4xx doesn't get peoples attention like 700 lol.

Exactly! People at work know I'm a mustang guy. Few if then have come up and said,'hey you hear about the hellcat?' 'How much power does that new stang have?'

All I can say is yeah that is bad a$$ and no nbers on the new stang but I'm sure it won't even be close to the hellcat... In performance or price. But they don't care... They were more just poking at my being the ford guy in the office. The challenger is getting a lot if attention because of the hellcat.

Randy M

Established Member
Imo the Hellcat will sell well but it's not going to steal too many sales from the 2015 Mustang. They're different cars in size, weight and intention. The Challenger is a a GT, boulevard cruiser and road trip car. It doesn't do well in the twisties. The Hellcat will be a dragstrip rat. It'll have some bragging rights but it's not going to sell in large numbers, not even likely 10K units. It's a stop gap measure, a badass car for sure but that's its main purpose from a business standpoint.

I am admittedly a Mopar fan. Maybe even more so than a Mustang fan. What Chrysler should have done was compete directly with the 2015 Mustang. From what I understand they are working on a Mustang sized 'Cuda utilizing the Maserati Ghibli Chassis. It'll be lighter and smaller than the Challenger. But they're too late as it won't be revealed till 2018 or so. By then Ford will have sold a couple hundred thousand new Mustangs. They've missed the boat and will be playing catch up....again. But if it checks all the boxes for me I'll buy one. Right now I'll enjoy my Boss 302.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Hellcat was an auto car.....Id like to see them run it in a manual vs the GT500's 11.5 @ 125 stock runs...

BSB318

Established Member
The Hellcat was the best thing to ever happen with the pony car war.

Ford and Chevy will respond.

For the Mustang , an answer to the Hellcat is simple :

Create an SVT cobra with a supercharged 5.0 and offer an automatic option.

It seems the addition of a whipple head unit gets the 5.0 over 700 hp.

Ford should design a 5.0 with a great set of rods , pistons and more stronger block for the boost and your done.

I bet in the next 2 years you will have stock muscle cars running low 10's to high 9's with everyone going tit for tat.

Gonna happen...Watch

Users who are viewing this thread