Heavy OEM Clutch pedal - Common on 03/04?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Ours was always heavy to hold

I had issues with pedal being hard to push.
Switched to quadrant to aluminum single hook and heavyduty cable

Pedal was the same until I removed cable and oiled it.

Than it was easy to push.
Hold is still heavy

It also helped with the having to push to floor to shift.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Ours was always heavy to hold

I had issues with pedal being hard to push.
Switched to quadrant to aluminum single hook and heavyduty cable

Pedal was the same until I removed cable and oiled it.

Than it was easy to push.
Hold is still heavy

It also helped with the having to push to floor to shift.

What specific oil did you use and how long has it lasted? I’m going to be trying this soon. I’ve got a number of motor oils as well as chain & cable lube. Prefer to do it once and be done.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MarkusK

Established Member
I used ATF fluid for cable lube in my vert about 2 months ago, reduced the pedal effort by about 40%, still feels the same.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I currently have the dyad twin disc. It's super light compared to the oem and promotion single disc I had. Makes the king cobra clutch in my 90 coupe feel heavy.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

stangfreak

Established Member
03-04 cobras have a real stiff clutchs with a long ass throw that grabs all the way down low.The oem clutch cables are apparently to balme for some of the stiffness.

I am not sure what I am running on mine but, its still pretty damn stiff and really damn long.

From what I seen its a bit different from car to car. Some say changing the adjustment on the clutch cable helped out with the stiffness.
Others say that you got rip it out and go twin disc to get it less stiff.

If you're running a stock clutch I would replace the cable with an aftermarket one first see if that helps.
Single disc centerforce and mantic clutches are pretty damn expensive but, are the way to go if you want a nice soft feel that can hold good power. Idk what they are rated for atm
If you want to hold 600+ torque go with the Twin disc setup.

Sent from my SM-G977U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Do not replace the stock cable with aftermarket. clutch, quadrant fine, not the cable.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I switched my factory clutch to a Spec Stage 3. I hated that clutch. Made driving my Cobra feel like I was driving a dump truck.

I then switched to a McLeod RXT dual disc set up (26 Spline input shaft). Love that clutch. Feel is nice and smooth with good pedal engagement. No going all the way to the floor to get it to shift. I'm sold on the McLeod. Probably going to run the same clutch in my 65 Mustang.

Dyad seems like a great clutch, but too rich for my blood LOL.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I switched my factory clutch to a Spec Stage 3. I hated that clutch. Made driving my Cobra feel like I was driving a dump truck.

I then switched to a McLeod RXT dual disc set up (26 Spline input shaft). Love that clutch. Feel is nice and smooth with good pedal engagement. No going all the way to the floor to get it to shift. I'm sold on the McLeod. Probably going to run the same clutch in my 65 Mustang.

Dyad seems like a great clutch, but too rich for my blood LOL.

After looking into the dual clutch as an option, I must say that both the RXT and others are quite pricey given that I don't have a clutch problem. I'm going to pray that lubing the cable helps some. I hate to swap out the oem clutch on a fairly stock 25K car because of a heavy pedal.

stangfreak

Established Member
My spec 3+ is light. I remember when everyone was recommending them. still are today. Never heard anyone complain about them.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
My spec 3+ is light. I remember when everyone was recommending them. still are today. Never heard anyone complain about them.

I heard good things about them as well. That's why I went with it initially. I don't hear people talk bad about them either. Maybe I got a defective one. All I know is it didn't work well for me at all.

hotcobra03

Established Member
After looking into the dual clutch as an option, I must say that both the RXT and others are quite pricey given that I don't have a clutch problem. I'm going to pray that lubing the cable helps some. I hate to swap out the oem clutch on a fairly stock 25K car because of a heavy pedal.

What’s pricey

I did oem replacement which was like 7 hundred
@365k clutch still had grooves in material,side by side it looked slightly used

Wish I oiled cable 1st I change clutch thinking that was why pedal was hard to push.

I snapped 2 oem cables in 1 week
Think they say oil before install

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The OEM clutch is definitely heavy. I remember test driving a new 2006 Z06 and was amazed at the lightness of its clutch compared to my 2003 Cobra OEM clutch.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I heard good things about them as well. That's why I went with it initially. I don't hear people talk bad about them either. Maybe I got a defective one. All I know is it didn't work well for me at all.
There's a difference between the 3 and the 3+ though. At least there was the last time I looked at clutches. The 3 had a lot of similar complaints to what you said from what I found. The 3+ was the one to get.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I've got the 3+ with the lighter pedal option, billet pressure plate and Spec flywheel. It's not awful, but it's not silky smooth either. Could be a combo of clutch/clutch material and the lighter flywheel though. In hindsight, I probably should have reused the stock one.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
What’s pricey

I did oem replacement which was like 7 hundred
@365k clutch still had grooves in material,side by side it looked slightly used

Wish I oiled cable 1st I change clutch thinking that was why pedal was hard to push.

I snapped 2 oem cables in 1 week
Think they say oil before install

Anything is pricey when the clutch is fine and doesn't need replaced.

There is a wide range of lubricants used based on my research. One person on here used WD40, another ATF, and the video was motor oil. I'll get under there soon to try one of these out. It's worth noting the motorcycle guys use various lubricants as well. At my house I have ATF, various motor oils, 2cycle oil, Chain & Cable lube, Garage Door lube, Permatex Ultra-Slick, WD30 3-1 oil, etc. The slickest by far is the Ultra-Slick assembly lube - not only is it slick, it coats things well too.. However, it's not for cables :)

SLOWBRA

Established Member

KevinsVertTerminator

Established Member
I daily'd an 04 vert with factory clutch for about 30k miles.....its "effort level" was extremely heavy. I sold that car in 2011 and got this coupe with an RXT twin.....like night and day difference in effort level. Very similar to the hydraulic clutches in my c5z and c6z. That RXT has worked flawlessly for near ten years now and shows no sign of not grabbing (700 wheel that entire time). It engages take off/low speed seamlessly, no on/off at all, have loved driving it.

I had the OEM clutch until recently and it was very heavy. I upgraded from stock engine/pulley and it could not hold the HP. I also upgraded to the McCloud RXT and LOVE IT!

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I ended up using transmission fluid and a little bit of cable spray on mine. It did make a difference. The pedal is Certainly not as light as I want in the long run, but lubrication is certainly a very good option for people to consider. I appreciate all the suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread