Heavily Modified Roller - What's it Worth?

JoeCobra

Established Member
Guys I cannot even begin to to explain the nightmare I've had since i bought this car and in trying to get my engine rebuilt. Long story short my engine blew like a 1,000 miles after i bought it due to piss poor tuning and a lean condition. The shop that began the re-build process has decided it is over their head and are quitting on the job after already pulling the engine and tearing it down. I'm not sure if i want to try and find another place who is willing to take this nightmare on or sell her as a roller sans engine. It's not a typical rolller. She's got FTBR kit and milled cover in the back and pretty much everything maximum motorsports has to offer up front so she's not your typical stock roller. I know most times it's between 10-12k but this one is a much better foundation with all the mods. I'll attach my mod list

JoeCobra

Established Member
Guys I cannot even begin to to explain the nightmare I've had since i bought this car and in trying to get my engine rebuilt. Long story short my engine blew like a 1,000 miles after i bought it due to piss poor tuning and a lean condition. The shop that began the re-build process has decided it is over their head and are quitting on the job after already pulling the engine and tearing it down. I'm not sure if i want to try and find another place who is willing to take this nightmare on or sell her as a roller sans engine. It's not a typical rolller. She's got FTBR kit and milled cover in the back and pretty much everything maximum motorsports has to offer up front so she's not your typical stock roller. I know most times it's between 10-12k but this one is a much better foundation with all the mods. I'll attach my mod list

74c163cb558a2ee068abbc36a36e7235.jpg
abcd1134d029159b8b6279ec6842fe25.jpg
cf518cc4beb661a49b939bc1ae7b8da8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
It's all going to depend on condition of the rest of the car, body panels, paint, interior, clean title, is everything besides the motor in 100% working condition. How many owners, how many miles on car

At the end of the day it's still a big project. If you get $12 I'd be happy if I was you.

I see 21.5 psi....what fuel were you running?

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Why is that shop in over its head? What's so tough about it, what exactly is the shop supposed to do? Can you make them store the car and send out your engine to be rebuilt since they can't? They took it out they should be able to reinstall it I would imagine.

It's all going to depend on condition of the rest of the car, body panels, paint, interior, clean title, is everything besides the motor in 100% working condition. How many owners, how many miles on car

At the end of the day it's still a big project. If you get $12 I'd be happy if I was you.

I see 21.5 psi....what fuel were you running?

With that kind of fuel setup I'd hope he was on the corn juice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeCobra

Established Member
Sorry guys I forgot to mention those details. Paint is solid 8+ I can only think of one spot on the hood where the previous owners wife opened the hood into the wiper arms that were up for some reason or something like that. Interior is good. Has normal seat bolster wear. 77k on the clock. Third owner. Everything is os working order except the engine.

Yes it was on e85.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

JoeCobra

Established Member
Why is that shop in over its head? What's so tough about it, what exactly is the shop supposed to do? Can you make them store the car and send out your engine to be rebuilt since they can't? They took it out they should be able to reinstall it I would imagine.

My guess? If it don't have push rods they don't know what they are doing. They assured me before I took it there that they had done plenty mod motors. I also went there because it's the machine shop we use at my work place to re-work heads we take off when we do head gaskets. Totally my mistake. I should have just shipped it to livernois or something. They are completely incompetent at mod motors I'm finding out by the stupid stuff they say that is totally wrong.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Man with that mileage and such doubt you would get 12k as a roller. Maybe 8k. If your keeping the motor.

fitforspeed

Established Member
I'd say take a breather for a little bit man. I know it can get pretty high on the stress and anxiety side of things when dealing with these situations, been there, as have many others here. Sounds like overall you have a pretty nice car. It can be put back together. And made right. You just have to make some decisions on what you really want to do. There are quality shops that can handle what ever you bring in. Even shops that will pick your stuff up, and fix deliver to you. For a fee of course. I don't know how far you are from Livernois motorsports (313-561-5500) but they are one of these shops. I'd give them a call and see how you feel after talking with them about what you need to get things fixed up. In the end things can turn out fine and you get to drive the beast that you wanted.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Man, that's a awful lot of car to just give up on.
If you don't want to deal with it, I'd do what Joe suggested above.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
You could get 8-9k out of the roller and probably part out the s/c setup an heads/cams (if they are still good) for another 3-4k and the trans for another 2k. 13-15k is what you will get for the main stuff since you have no idea what of the shortblock is still good. If you want to sit on parts you might be able to get a touch more.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I'd say take a breather for a little bit man. I know it can get pretty high on the stress and anxiety side of things when dealing with these situations, been there, as have many others here. Sounds like overall you have a pretty nice car. It can be put back together. And made right. You just have to make some decisions on what you really want to do. There are quality shops that can handle what ever you bring in. Even shops that will pick your stuff up, and fix deliver to you. For a fee of course. I don't know how far you are from Livernois motorsports (313-561-5500) but they are one of these shops. I'd give them a call and see how you feel after talking with them about what you need to get things fixed up. In the end things can turn out fine and you get to drive the beast that you wanted.
Thank's for the mention, There is a pretty solid parts list on his build. We have conversed with this gentleman on the project and felt it was best to attack his situation in two steps. Sending us what he has engine parts wise so we can access it and move forward with making sure the engine build is in order. Once completed we would tackle the car itself and get it all sorted out.

fitforspeed

Established Member
Thank's for the mention, There is a pretty solid parts list on his build. We have conversed with this gentleman on the project and felt it was best to attack his situation in two steps. Sending us what he has engine parts wise so we can access it and move forward with making sure the engine build is in order. Once completed we would tackle the car itself and get it all sorted out.

Yes sir, I know you guys know your stuff well there. Keep up the great work!

cj428mach

Established Member
I would say 8-9k is probably all you'd get out of it as well for the mileage. No one is going to give you a dime over normal roller price for the appearance stuff and gauges so thats lost. You might get an extra grand out of the suspension parts but thats it and thats why I said 9k.

JoeCobra

Established Member

Jason is that you? You've been an incredibly big help. Just had a moment of despair and thought maybe it'd be easier to sell as is and go with a new s550 or something. I believe I'll be needing that RMA # early next week.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Thanks 03cobra#694 and fitforspeed for the support and for talking me off the ledge so to speak with the car. Thanks everyone else for your info.

Sometimes you just need to stop, take a step back and take a deep breath. Glad you're getting a squared away.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Livernois did killer work on my cylinder heads, meet all their timeline quotes and kept me informed throughout the entire process. I do a lot of my own work but that kind of customer service stuck out to me as most people in the "modified car" industry have some pretty crappy customer skills.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member

You guys are awesome! absolutely best way to take care of a guy. That's great to hear and he will get to enjoy his car after one of the best shops gets done with it!

Users who are viewing this thread