Heater Core

hotcobra03

Established Member
heatercore

i should have done mine when i had my engine out ,,could have cut hole from engine side and made it faster..what did ford do build the car around the heatercore?

cobraracer46

Banned
Last time I removed the dashboard on a 98 mustang, I did not remove the steering colum so I was able to get the dash and the steering wheel out as a unit. Removing the steering colum just adds more work and time.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
air in the system

kinda sucks to burp. Hell I had to pull my crossover tube off and go get a nut welded on the filler so I could open that port. Fill from there while running until it overflows. I pulled my Evenflow cooling hose off at the radiator at the same time which worked for me. It took a few times to get it right.

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
Well joe on a scale from 1-10,10 being worst ..how will you rate this job?

Lets see 1-10, maybe a 6. Everybody made such a big deal about, but it really wasn't THAT bad. Time consuming, yes, but as far as difficult, not so much. Plus I pretty much had step by step instructions from onebadmf, guy knows his shit! Still haven't found out how much it would have cost me to take it somewhere, but I know it would have been pretty expensive.

hotcobra03

Established Member
airbox

now that its all done..really is thier anyway of cutting box on bottom and still get core out,,or am i really gonna have to pull the dash? my problem is, its our only car, and stores are 30+ miles away.. my buddy likes helping me but he breaks everything he touches,,,and he now has an 01 lightning,,,so guess thats not a bad trade of for something to drive till its fixed..

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
now that its all done..really is thier anyway of cutting box on bottom and still get core out,,or am i really gonna have to pull the dash? my problem is, its our only car, and stores are 30+ miles away.. my buddy likes helping me but he breaks everything he touches,,,and he now has an 01 lightning,,,so guess thats not a bad trade of for something to drive till its fixed..

I feel ya on the clumsy buddy, lol, I got one of those too(he cut one of my A/C lines while tryin to cut my box). The hardest part was probably get the old one out and the new one in, its a tight fit even with the dash pulled back. So im gonna say you have to pull the dash. If your gonna do it make sure you make ONE cut, no shaving after you cut it cause you will have a hard time sealing it back up. Dunno if you have to seal it, but thats what I was told so thats what I did. Oh and I had to make a few cuts so sealing it wasn't easy. Ill try and answer any questions you might have cause believe me, I had alot. Burping the car is VERY IMPORTANT, LOL!

hotcobra03

Established Member
thanks

I feel ya on the clumsy buddy, lol, I got one of those too(he cut one of my A/C lines while tryin to cut my box). The hardest part was probably get the old one out and the new one in, its a tight fit even with the dash pulled back. So im gonna say you have to pull the dash. If your gonna do it make sure you make ONE cut, no shaving after you cut it cause you will have a hard time sealing it back up. Dunno if you have to seal it, but thats what I was told so thats what I did. Oh and I had to make a few cuts so sealing it wasn't easy. Ill try and answer any questions you might have cause believe me, I had alot. Burping the car is VERY IMPORTANT, LOL!

funny ive never had a problem with burping this thing..also ive had the bolt out a dozen times and still no problem and when i read about other guys problems, like wtf are they doing..they break thier tools or the plug....i just had my ac line welded..it rubs on stock airbox clamp...pin hole....our winter is over now so im gonna wait ...ive only needed it once in the last 4yrs...lite rain and 35deg makes ice form on windshield...no heat.no ice scrapers even sold down here even if you needed one..

Users who are viewing this thread