Heater Core

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
Mechanic said that it is my heater core. Gonna do it myself this weekend with a buddy of mine, anybody done this before and can maybe give me a heads up for any difficulties I might run into? Any advice is appreciated, Thanks

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Once you start tearing shit apart you'll understand how it goes, here's a quick run down

Take your front seats out, center console out, radio, carefully unplug the HVAC lines, kick panels, pillars, unplug all the wires, etc. Unhook the steering wheel (I just unbolted it from under the dash and removed it).

There's 11 bolts holding the dash in if I remember correctly. 2 on the driverside by the weatherstripping, 4 around the center console, 3 in the defroster vent, and 2 on the pass side by the weatherstripping.

Pull the dash out, drain your a/c, remove the canister, and there is a bolt (10mm I think) behind the block that holds the heater box in.

It's not that hard, just time consuming. Good luck.

I tore up my knuckles just reading that!

Juruense

Banned
When you put the dash back together have a lot of 1" squares of felt handy and put them where ever you think squeaks and rattles might be.

This is a very difficult job you would be smarter to have the stealership do it. If you do not ground the new core properly it will quickly fail again also. Good luck you are going to need it.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I will just sell my cobra if the HC goes bad, LOL.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Mechanic said that it is my heater core. Gonna do it myself this weekend with a buddy of mine, anybody done this before and can maybe give me a heads up for any difficulties I might run into? Any advice is appreciated, Thanks
Some jobs you're just better off paying someone to do it for you. This is one of those jobs. :-D

hotcobra03

Established Member
heatercore

its very time consuming,,,i have fords step by step if you want it..you will need to pm me an email to send its to large for posting...i have my heatercore bypassed also and a new one in back room,,,fords techs,,2 guys =12hour job...ifrc on a seach in svtperformance i think i seen a post where the guy cut a hole in the air box to pull core out..than taped the hole afterwards and saved some time,,the ac has to be unhooked also

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
I got the heater core at O'riellys for 90 bucks. I just cant see payin somebody a hand full of money to do this when I could go get a 20 pack and tag team it with a buddy. Plus the fact that I dont trust mechanics cause you never know what there gonna do. Might take me a little longer than them, but at least I know what has been done.

hotcobra03

Established Member
core

I got the heater core at O'riellys for 90 bucks. I just cant see payin somebody a hand full of money to do this when I could go get a 20 pack and tag team it with a buddy. Plus the fact that I dont trust mechanics cause you never know what there gonna do. Might take me a little longer than them, but at least I know what has been done.

shop at ford..oem yr3z-18476-ba...think its 40bucks at ford if not less..google it...just sent you that 100 page book and its only half...mostlikly i missed something,,just post if you need any advice or more info

Users who are viewing this thread