heater core bypassing or replacement

351inside

Established Member
how do you go about bypassing im really not looking to take out the whole dash, im getting small leak inside the car and i believe its the heater core, the drops are in the driver side though... anybody can help with this thanks

Or should i just replace it?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
well bypassing it sure is alot easier!! summer's coming up so at least you wont need it as much

all you would need is a 5/8" to 3/4" adapter

351inside

Established Member
what do you mean by that? im sorry i have never done this and i would preferrably just like to bypass it... Thanks

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
what do you mean by that? im sorry i have never done this and i would preferrably just like to bypass it... Thanks

i just meant that if given the choice between replacing a heater core or bypassing it - that it is a much easier job to bypass it. but then the problem is that you then would not have heat in the driver's cabin.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
All you need to do is get a plastic coupler that is 5/8" to 3/4". You can find them any local parts store.

I did it on my old cobra when I took out the heater box to drop weight

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Guys if I remember right I just used the tube going into the heater core..I thought I rotated the hose and just ran it to the pass side of the motor.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Since you asked how to bypass it...

There are two hoses on the firewall above the passenger side cylinder head. The one on the left (if looking at it from the front of the car) leads to a fitting that is on a coolant passage on the passenger side cylinder head, the other leads to the water pump.

You need to unhook those two hoses from the firewall and just connect them together.

Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member
I would try to find a metal adapter. Plastic only if its very temporary.

Users who are viewing this thread