Heat Reflective Tape

foxspy

Established Member
Hey guys,

I live in Phoenix and I drive my car daily. I have the Killer Chiller and LFP reservoir with my heat exchanger bypassed to help with the IAT2s. However, I feel that my metal C&L intake is holding me back.

While on the highway, my IAT1s will be about 5* over ambient, which isn't too bad. However, when I come to a stop, my IAT1s will get over 160* with the outside temp in the 105-110* range.

My intercooler reservoir is cool since I have the Killer Chiller running, but with the high under hood temps and the radiator hose practically touching the bottom of the reservoir, I'm sure the intercooler fluid is heating up.

So, I ordered some of this stuff to help with keeping the heat down.

I know it's not the prettiest looking stuff, but I'm shooting for function over looks. I'm going to put it around my LFP reservoir, and I'm thinking about wrapping my C&L intake with it.

Has anyone had experience with this stuff? Reviews seem pretty good.

2004silvercobra

Established Member
Its not the C&L intake as much as just having a open filter under the hood with no air movement. The only thing to really do is get a JLT high boost or cold air intake to put the filter into the fender to help eliminate the filter sucking in that under hood heat but its still gonna be hot when its 110* outside.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Its not the C&L intake as much as just having a open filter under the hood with no air movement. The only thing to really do is get a JLT high boost or cold air intake to put the filter into the fender to help eliminate the filter sucking in that under hood heat but its still gonna be hot when its 110* outside.

10-4 on that. I've never seen 160* with my C&L tube with CAI in the fender. It's typically in line with ambient and only rises a few degrees at a stop.

svtshadow

Banned

My JLT RAM never goes above 130* on stop lights. Check you fan settings or your fan is not working right when car is not moving.

foxspy

Established Member
My fan is working normal.

The C&L metal tube is so hot even after 3 hours of sitting with the engine off, you can't touch it.

Is there a cold air conversion using the C&L intake?

foxspy

Established Member
I don't have a heat shield that wraps all the way around the filter, just the bottom and engine side of the filter. So, I ordered the JLT Heat Shield that will wrap around the filter better. Hopefully this helps with my IAT1s.

racebronco2

Established Member
I don't have a heat shield that wraps all the way around the filter, just the bottom and engine side of the filter. So, I ordered the JLT Heat Shield that will wrap around the filter better. Hopefully this helps with my IAT1s.

Your ait1's have little to no effect on your ait2's. I went with the cold air and even that rises in temps in traffic.

foxspy

Established Member
Your ait1's have little to no effect on your ait2's. I went with the cold air and even that rises in temps in traffic.

That does not make sense to me...

If 100* air is your IAT1 and 45* water is passing through the intercooler to cool the 100* air, then the outcome will be XX*. If your IAT1 is 160*, then I guarantee you're not going to get the same results.

Tractionless1

Established Member
My fan is working normal.

The C&L metal tube is so hot even after 3 hours of sitting with the engine off, you can't touch it.

Is there a cold air conversion using the C&L intake?

When you fire it up and get air moving through it the velocity is so fast the intake air is picking up little to no heat off the pipe. That's what's been posted by a tuner in this forum below and considering my IAT1's with the CAI and C&L, I believe him. I use a 90* elbow labeled "superchips" that bolts to the end of the OEM MAF. Came on the car, no idea where to source it.

Intake2.gif
[/URL]

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
That does not make sense to me...

If 100* air is your IAT1 and 45* water is passing through the intercooler to cool the 100* air, then the outcome will be XX*. If your IAT1 is 160*, then I guarantee you're not going to get the same results.

As the air is traveling to your heat exchanger it get heated by the tb, inlet and the air that is trapped in the blower when the bypass is open. Why do you think the ait2's are always higher than the ait1's. Because it is picking up heat as it travels thru the intake system. When the bypass is open the heat is trapped in the blower, case and rotors. Once you crack open the throttle you will notice the ait2's are reduced because fresh cool air is introduced into the system. Think of the lower intake as an oven.

04screamingvert

Established Member
I went back to the stock tube. The C&L will damage your shock tower paint. Also I did not see any improvement in my ET at the track. I did keep the filter and the cover nice clean look under the hood. I also ran a cooling tube from the hole next to the fog light for cold to my filter area. My SCT 2600 Aluminum housing is always cold to the touch. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread