Heat Exchanger install

NightEnforcer

Established Member
Please tell us about the install and the product. I am looking to purchase a new heat exchanger and am trying to decide on which one to buy.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
That looks like it is hanging lower than your front bumper skirt. Are you worried about hitting it?

How much? Where did you buy it? How long to install?

It looks pretty.

03DarkShadow

Established Member
Install wasnt bad. It came w/ no mounting hardware. So i had to drill 2 holes in the bumper support and use 2 bolts (one on each side) to bolt her up. I havent logged it yet, but i do wanna find out if this thing works. I do love the way it looks though! :)

03DarkShadow

Established Member
yes i am worried about it hitting something. Install wasnt bad maybe 2 hours. Thats R+R bumper and accesories. Unlike the stock one it has a drain on it, which i like alot!
470 bux from Downs Ford.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by JSHTROD
What's the real benefit of this larger intercooler? Other than looking good?
Larger intercooler will reduce heat soak which is when the fuid cooling the intercooler can not disapate heat as fast as heat is being built up. This causes intake air temps to rise and the EEC will pull timing to prevent detonation and in turn you will lose power. It looks like a decent unit but its height is not only dangerous but wasted since it caovered. They could have added a couple inches to each end to increase surface area as well. Also larger tanks and a higher volume IC pump will help as well.

03DarkShadow

Established Member
It has two brackets already welded on to the end. I agree it is too tall. I should have taken some pics of the two together. Not only is this thing taller, it is longer and ALOT WIDER than the stocker.

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
Larger intercooler will reduce heat soak which is when the fuid cooling the intercooler can not disapate heat as fast as heat is being built up. This causes intake air temps to rise and the EEC will pull timing to prevent detonation and in turn you will lose power. It looks like a decent unit but its height is not only dangerous but wasted since it caovered. They could have added a couple inches to each end to increase surface area as well. Also larger tanks and a higher volume IC pump will help as well.

Sounds like it might be good for high boost.

Have you monitored any intercooler temp changes?

davidmax

Established Member
Your headed in the right direction.Now get the antifreeze out of it and use 6 ozs.redLine watter wetter and the rest ditilled water.This will keep you at least 10% cooler as weve infomally tested them on 3 differant )3's,Dave S.

03DarkShadow

Established Member
Your headed in the right direction.Now get the antifreeze out of it and use 6 ozs.redLine watter wetter and the rest ditilled water.This will keep you at least 10% cooler as weve infomally tested them on 3 differant )3's,Dave S.

On my things to do list now. Thanks! Jamie

maoun

Established Member
so how much would you expect a shop to charge for custom fabrication of brackets, etc, to install?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by JSHTROD
Sounds like it might be good for high boost.

Have you monitored any intercooler temp changes?
I dont actually have one and wouldnt get a unit that hung below my bumber, thats just asking for trouble. I also run the KB so generally speaking will have lower temps than an eaton. It will play a bigger role in autocross or many back to back pulls than it will normal driving, I mau look into an aftermarket unit sometime down the road.

jonas

Established Member
thats the lightning oe thats why
the cobra specific one will be out soon and is a direct bolton. ive seen the lightning ones in person and the way you described it is exactly that

Users who are viewing this thread