Heat exchanger coolant question

cobra-k

Established Member
Well like the title my h/e hose popped off and leaked a fair bit of coolant until I got it back on again. (clamp must have been loose) there's just a tiny bit of coolant left in the intercooler reservoir now.. So the question now is how full should I fill it and also will I have to burp the h/e system like the engine coolant? Any other useful information would be great too. Thanks.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I just took my Terminator to the dealer for a coolant flush/fill. For the heat exchanger coolant, all the tech did was pull the hose off from the bottom of the heat exchanger, which drained the system. After reconnecting the hose, he simply filled the reservoir and had me start it. The pump circulated the coolant and removed the air. It was much simpler than I expected.

Here is a shot of him filling the engine coolant:

6e5503e59e7312a3c41bebf19d76f80f_zpscbe3bbca.jpg

Bigggy

Established Member
Like said before, fill the tank, jump the pump, stop the pump, fill the tank...etc..until reservoir full and fluid is circulating with no problem.

Did mine last week after blower removal, and funny thing but I jump the pump one time and it emptied the tank pretty quick. I filled the tank once more and tried to jump the pump but it was not running. There was 12v on the connector of the pump, so I've just hit it with a wrench and she came back to life...I think I will put that to the list of next purchase.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
What they all said, and make a jumper wire. Just pull the relay in the little box on the pass side fender. Makes it super easy to circulate the fluid.
ICJumper.jpg

cobra-k

Established Member
You guys rock pics and all. Got another question now, I'm guessing that I lost about a litre give or take, would It matter by adding water to top it off or should I just use the Ford gold.

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
I just took my Terminator to the dealer for a coolant flush/fill. For the heat exchanger coolant, all the tech did was pull the hose off from the bottom of the heat exchanger, which drained the system. After reconnecting the hose, he simply filled the reservoir and had me start it. The pump circulated the coolant and removed the air. It was much simpler than I expected.

Here is a shot of him filling the engine coolant:

The dealer doesnt have a funnel ?:poke:

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
You guys rock pics and all. Got another question now, I'm guessing that I lost about a litre give or take, would It matter by adding water to top it off or should I just use the Ford gold.

I would just top it off with Ford gold. By adding water you do not know what the water to coolant % is and run the risk of it freezing in the winter especially because you are in Canada

cobra-k

Established Member
I would just top it off with Ford gold. By adding water you do not know what the water to coolant % is and run the risk of it freezing in the winter especially because you are in Canada

Good point, and thanks for the reminder. :beer: Up here we see cold snaps 40 below celsius. Don't need intercooler cracking up.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
The dealer doesnt have a funnel ?:poke:

He didn't need one. Nice and steady.

I jumped my GT500 pump, but the tech didn't do it with the Terminator. He just had me start the car and it filled just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread