Heard of Eaton Traction Control?

03TorchRedCobra

Been around
Established Member
I saw this Company advertised in Mustang mags so I wrote them asking if they had anything for an IRS Mustang. The sales rep said they should be available this summer at a cost of around $600.

Has anyone looked into this product for a solution to traction slip rather than going with a solid axle?

http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod3.htm

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
What exactly would this do for our cars? (no flaming, im just curious) I thought the reason people went to a solid axel was because of wheel hop and broken haftshafts.

03TorchRedCobra

Been around
Established Member
I wasn't sure if this thing would buy anything for wheel hop. That was why I was asking because I don't really know if it would help.

Appreciate comments and won't take anything as a flame. I learn too much on this site to get mad because of other people's thoughts and opinions - positive or negative.

Torch :)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
as far as differentials that are an improvement over the stock clutch type (which is actually a very tough diff)

I like the Torsen T2R..... very smooth transfer of torque.....
road racers and autocrossers love it!!!
so do off roaders...
IMHO the best diff available:thumbsup:

can't verify but I have read somewhere that a cobra user felt it did help a little with "hop", and also the drive line clunk....
It is a very smooth acting device....
no more roasting the inside tire in a corner.
Diff actually runs cooler at track events... or so I've read.....

Now some of the drag guys are not going to really get excited about it, unless they also do alot of street driving too.......
there are some "stronger " options for drag use ........ a spool comes to mind..... not much fun on the street though... and a few others that will take higher torque loads than the stocker, or the T2R
Jimmy

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Would like to hear experience of anyone who installs new ECTED electronically locking LSD, I believe made by Auburn. Works as regular LSD but locks with electric signal, simpler than air lockers used in Jeeps. Was originally designed as a component of traction and stability control systems, but now available in aftermarket for HiPo use.

Don't see any difference of the Eaton unit over stock LSD.

78mphgpr

Under Estimated
Established Member
Toyota has been using the E locker as well. Some Tacomas and all of the newer Land Cruisers also. Good point Philly.

jimh

Established Member
Eaton has been around for a long time. Our diffs are pretty tough already. The Eaton might have better clutch packs or a stronger static spring but that's about it. There are plenty of others out there that do it a little differently too. Auburns use conical clutches and are very string. Torsen diff use worm gears, and ofcourse the lockers which use a dog tooth cluctch and have a ratcheting effect.

If you're road racing it's hard to beat a Torsen type diff. For street strip (drag) I like clutch type diffs. Especially with tires as short as ours, lockers are a little too touchy for my taste in a car. And they can put a very hig load on just one axle if one tire loses grip. They were great in my Jeep though :)

I don't know if I like air lockers or e-lockers. I don't know if they would hold up to the load very long. I think they are great for off road, but getting traction with that much torque from the motor... I just don't know.

jim

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Originally posted by 03TorchRedCobra
I wasn't sure if this thing would buy anything for wheel hop. That was why I was asking because I don't really know if it would help.

Appreciate comments and won't take anything as a flame. I learn too much on this site to get mad because of other people's thoughts and opinions - positive or negative.

Torch :)

To answer your question, don't think the Eaton differential will affect any wheel hop issues with the IRS Cobra's. To repeat other posts, the factory 31 spline rear is also a limited slip differential (both wheels turning at the same time), and sounds comparable to the Eaton. Wheel hop problems appear to be more a rear suspension deal and not a differential issue....

Users who are viewing this thread