Heads up about Motorcraft oil filters

robvas

Established Member
Never trust AMAZON. They were sending us fake Brother labeling supplies ten years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_6132.jpeg
    IMG_6132.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 57

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I have been buying Motorcraft filters from the dealer for my cars for at least 30 years. I can not remember one that leaked. As mentioned, Could it be the leakers are knockoffs?

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I watched an episode of Engine Masters where they did a complete oil filter test.
K&N, Wix, Motorcraft etc.
The Motorcraft was in the top 3 if I remember right, but the K&N Gold outflowed them all by a large margin. I wish I could find the episode.

A high flow filter means less pressure drop across the media and less filtration and more particles can escape filtration.

The filter can be oversized to reduce pressure drop while using a tighter filtration media or to increase debris holding capacity or both.

Filters are specified using a micron rating (the smallest particle the media can catch) and a beta rating (the ratio of 1 particle that escapes to the number caught). For example, a 100 beta 2 means at 100 microns 1 particle escapes for every 2. Not too good compared to a 100 beta 1000, where 1 particle escapes for every 1000 caught.

Any filter comparison test has to include both micron rating and beta rating.

It's always trade-off.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
A high flow filter means less pressure drop across the media and less filtration and more particles can escape filtration.

The filter can be oversized to reduce pressure drop while using a tighter filtration media or to increase debris holding capacity or both.
Yes, I'm well aware. If you have ever watched an episode of Engine Masters, you'd know they pretty much cover all the bases everytime they experiment with something.

The K&N Gold had comparable sizes to several others, and actually smaller microns than at least 1 "race filter" they tested.
They also touched base with oil pressures as well.
Maybe some can find it?

Just found this clip. I dont have bookface, but the vid played for me.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Running wix on my 18. It's a cartridge type on the top of the engine. Suckers are small.
That's what our Audi uses. It's nice to be able to change the oil without getting under the car. I think her new Edge has a cartridge filter too.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
That's what our Audi uses. It's nice to be able to change the oil without getting under the car. I think her new Edge has a cartridge filter too.
How do you get the oil out Bob? I still need to put the truck on ramps, drop that wind tray and drain. Not sure on the Audi, but my 2.7 EB has 3 O rings for the filter housing and that small one is a bitch.

01yellercobra

Established Member
How do you get the oil out Bob? I still need to put the truck on ramps, drop that wind tray and drain. Not sure on the Audi, but my 2.7 EB has 3 O rings for the filter housing and that small one is a bitch.
I picked up one of these after borrowing my buddies to change the oil on our boat. The Audi is the same way with all the underbody stuff. Plus you're supposed to change the drain plug every time you remove it. So I just set this up and let it run for a bit.

That's interesting about the o-rings. I think there's only 1 on the Audi. But it's been a bit since I've changed the oil on that one.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I picked up one of these after borrowing my buddies to change the oil on our boat. The Audi is the same way with all the underbody stuff. Plus you're supposed to change the drain plug every time you remove it. So I just set this up and let it run for a bit.

That's interesting about the o-rings. I think there's only 1 on the Audi. But it's been a bit since I've changed the oil on that one.

Does that get all the oil out? I didn't read the reviews. This is the Ford oil housing cap. That little O ring on the stem is a bitch to put on.
6196trD7K1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
Does that get all the oil out? I didn't read the reviews. This is the Ford oil housing cap. That little O ring on the stem is a bitch to put on.
6196trD7K1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
The engine holds 6.5 quarts and I usually get at least 6. It was the wife's car for the last few years so I know the only time the level was checked was when I changed it.

I'll have to remember that about the o-rings. The o-rings go on the housing itself on the Audi,. Maybe it's 2? I'm sure I'll be doing the change soon now that I'm driving it daily.

Attachments

• Filter.JPG
    Filter.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 33

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
While working on my daughter's car today we found the oil filter really loose. Normally I'd chalk it up to one of those things that happens. Except that I had a similar problem with my truck a month or so ago. I had an oil spot under it and it's never leaked since I owned it. I found the filter loose on that one as well.

When I did the oil change in my Cobra in 2022 I used a Motorcraft HP and apparently the seal was bad as it leaked from the get go. Not bad, but enough to leave a couple drops. I swapped it to a K&N and all was good. So I went with a K&N this year as well.

But 3 different vehicles with 3 different filters all having a similar issue. You might want to keep an eye on your filters.

Ty for sharing
There is always Amsoil Filters, just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread