Headers? Worth the time and money?

Unistang

Established Member
-Just bought an '03 cobra. I'm hearing horror stories about throwing longtubes on but I haven't been able to find anything out about mid-lenths. Has anyone installed a set of these and know the headache if there is one?

-Also... are headers even worth the time and money or should I just go h-pipe back.

-Assuming its not to bad of a job... any tricks you guys have for getting them in easier?

Thanks in advance... this car is a little different from the fox I had.

-Nick:pepper:

jvert

Established Member
I have heard that its a very difficult process to do. Oh and welcome my fellow Chicago SVTer.

convert03cobra

Established Member
All that work for what, like 8HP? I didn't even bother to consider doing headers. Just do an X pipe and cat bac and call it a day. Just my 2 cents.

Unistang

Established Member
Only 8 HP... wow. I thought swapping in some headers over the stock manifolds would throw up bigger numbers than that on these cars.

03dsgsnake

Established Member
:rockon: pm me headers are a serious improvement!!!! These cars need to breathein and exhale out a hell of alot of air and those factory iron manifolds just dont do it! not to mention the insane sound you get with headers, and if you are going to serious mod your car yo def need them evrything works in conjustion with each other people who say they dont work never had i would never take off my bassanis. I ll tell you how to do install first time was a pita because of leaks but now no problem and i could tell you how to install in about 5 hrs with no leaks and 1 sweeeet sounding exhaust:rockon:

Unistang

Established Member
What kind of gains did you see with a header install as opposed to just midsection back? and are you talking about midlenths or longtubes?

-for some reason i can't PM on here.... don't know why.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I would, and have, spent my $ on other things that give more performance and cost a lot less than headers. Like getting your blower ported.

I also paid $60.00 at Insane Exhaust in Owings Maryland to install my X-pipe. This is money well spent.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Headers are a recipricol mod.... more air in, more air out... if your first mod is headers and a air filter, yeah, you're gonna see a few ponies only... if you're pumping out 14+ lbs of boost, you're going to see a much bigger gain.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Unistang said:
Do you know what kind of gain the LT's gave you? hp wise?
I saw 20rwhp and a whole hell of a lot more when I up'd the boost. Headers are more of a top off mod for high boost Cobras IMO. There is so much more you can do that will get you much more gains then headers will and for less money.

mrose75

Established Member
03yllwguy said:
Headers are a recipricol mod.... more air in, more air out... if your first mod is headers and a air filter, yeah, you're gonna see a few ponies only... if you're pumping out 14+ lbs of boost, you're going to see a much bigger gain.

What he said. I hear headers are for the higher power cars with lots of mods. If you're planning on going that route then it might be a good idea.

Unistang

Established Member
I'm gettin the drift that unless I throw a new SC or go turbo... headers are going to be a pointless headache... true?

-are midlengths easy to install? I know longtubes are a b****

snkchmr 1

We just did the Bassani mid lengths on our Mach with X pipes & the SLP LM2 catback & the sound alone makes me want to spend the money to put them on my Cobra.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Headers also help reduce under hood temperatures and direct heat away from the back cylinders. Our rear cylinders need all of the heat reduction they can get. When you see plugs with the ground strap burned off, it is almost always 7 and 8. Some tuners remove timing from 7 and 8 unless headers and the cooling mod are present. I think any power increase from headers is just an added benefit to the added protection and longevity they offer the engine.

04torchred

Established Member
They won't show huge peak to peak hp/tq gains. However if you review your whole power curve they do add a good bit in the midrange. Hell I am at 3500ft elevation, have a 8lb lower, stock upper, unported eaton(this is changing very soon, have a ported blower in my room) home ported plenum and throttle body and I am at 96% duty cycle on my pumps and 972 counts on my MAF. With what I have done my car is moving a good bit of air through it so I would say headers are worth it. Maybe not the most bang for your buck, but every bit helps. If you can install them yourself then do them. I will always say yes to expensive install jobs because I do stuff myself and always forget there are people that don't/can't.

I think they are worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread