Headers necessary for the KB?

Fang

Established Member
Just wanted to know if you need the headers for the KB? If a person is looking at the exhaust now and possibly the KB later would you have to get the headers and what combination would you get? I want the Bassani set up with X pipe and cat backs so which headers go with that set up?Looking at intake and exhaust now to possibly go to the KB later. What else should I consider?:shrug:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
If you go with the bassani xpipe/catback than the only headers that are going to bolt right on to the xpipe would be the bassani mid length headers. So the question is, if you want headers, do you want long tubes or mid lengths. If you want long tubes than you will need a shorty x/hpipe to fit.

Fang

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
If you go with the bassani xpipe/catback than the only headers that are going to bolt right on to the xpipe would be the bassani mid length headers. So the question is, if you want headers, do you want long tubes or mid lengths. If you want long tubes than you will need a shorty x/hpipe to fit.

What is the purpose of long tubes? Sorry, I just don't get it. Mid lengths and long tubes make no sense to me.:shrug:

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by Fang
What is the purpose of long tubes? Sorry, I just don't get it. Mid lengths and long tubes make no sense to me.:shrug:

Long tubes are actually better or more tuned and have always typically yeilded more power, but on these cars for some reason really dont help much. I wouldnt bother with either header, you can actually loose torque, which you dont want to do. I am at 520 rwhp / 570 rwtq, with the stock exhaust.. no headers, I do have an UPR o/r x pipe though.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
If you can't decide, just get the bassani o/r xpipe and catback and see what kind of numbers you make with the KB. If you make good numbers than great, if not, than get the bassani mid length headers.

hj16

Established Member
Originally posted by stangin
you can actually loose torque, which you dont want to do.
Losing some low-end torque on these cars is a blessing. I bet its a bitch to launch your 03 with 570rwtq coming on so early. Losing some low-end and picking up on the top-end would make life a whole lot easier.

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by stangin
Long tubes are actually better or more tuned and have always typically yeilded more power, but on these cars for some reason really dont help much. I wouldnt bother with either header, you can actually loose torque, which you dont want to do. I am at 520 rwhp / 570 rwtq, with the stock exhaust.. no headers, I do have an UPR o/r x pipe though.

The more boost you have, the more you'll gain with headers.

Since the poster is already going with Bassani, I HIGHLY reccomend their headers. Nice gain with the headers on.

Jason

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
I think there was a post on modular fords were KB stated the 03 cobra loosing hp and torque with headers and advise againt it.

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by RDSZ
I think there was a post on modular fords were KB stated the 03 cobra loosing hp and torque with headers and advise againt it.

Anybody who claims that increasing exahust airflow hurts power, is on crack.

Without the additional KB boost, I picked up a good amount of power.

:-D

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
Originally posted by JSHTROD
Anybody who claims that increasing exahust airflow hurts power, is on crack.

Without the additional KB boost, I picked up a good amount of power.

:-D
I agree with you. In that post most disagree with KB.

AMB

Established Member
I have a KB at 18+psi with Bassani mid-lengh headers. You will loose about 2/3 psi boost with any header/exhaust up-grade. You will need to add a smaller upper or a larger lower pulley to get the boost back, as before the upgrade.

AMB

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Losing boost with a header installation is actually not necessarily bad, and can be good. What counts with the supercharger is how much air can be pumped. If you relieve an obstruction (such as exhaust system) after the supercharger, you can get the same air flow at a lower pressure, and often more air flow. The best supercharger/engine combo would have very little measured pressure, just a lot of flow. Adding headers can allow you to really increase flow by using a smaller pulley and restoring the measured boost pressure to pre-header levels, while achieving better flow. The consensus seems to be that headers are helpful for heavily boosted engines and not too helpful for normal boost. In addition, the lack of back pressure can produce less torque at lower revs and some driveability and ECU problems, however.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
AMB - if you don't mind me asking, what kind of numbers are you putting down with the KB and bassani mid lengths? I already have the bassani xpipe/catback so it will be much easier for me to just get the bassani headers but I don't know how well they will do with the KB.

AMB

Established Member
I have 525 SAE RWHP with 16psi boost. I have a very conseritive tune, to use with 91 octane gas. I will be going to 18psi boost, with VP103 unleaded gas, to dyno this Saterday, to see what HP I will have.

AMB

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by hj16
Losing some low-end torque on these cars is a blessing. I bet its a bitch to launch your 03 with 570rwtq coming on so early. Losing some low-end and picking up on the top-end would make life a whole lot easier.

Believe it or not, the crazy thing hooks half way decent with the new Nitto's, launch easy and roll into it like the F1's. I am not willing to give up any torque that is the total fun factor of the car, in fact Im going for 630 / 670, want more torque.. wonder if I can get there without headers and the stock exhaust, I have a feeling I will sooner or later.

Fang

Established Member
Looks like a lot of mixed feelings and thoughts. This is exactly why I posted this. There is a lot of guys that would go either way. I just want to do the exhaust now and don't want to do it over later. Let me ask another question what will I loose if I don't put the headers on and later get the KB? Think that will still do good. I'm not looking for the fastest ride just enough to make you clean your shorts after hammering it.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Hey fang, just do a cat-back for now. Kpinco and Jasonz28 just put one on CrazySteve's car last week. It'll give you that sounds you're looking for, then later you can decide on headers and or x/pipe.

Fang

Established Member
Originally posted by sambandit
Hey fang, just do a cat-back for now. Kpinco and Jasonz28 just put one on CrazySteve's car last week. It'll give you that sounds you're looking for, then later you can decide on headers and or x/pipe.

Hey, did you get a chance to hear it? That sounds like the best idea I have heard yet. Did you end up ordering the Steeda CAI? Let me know what you think of that. I want that too.

Users who are viewing this thread