Header install

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I just got done data logging for Shaun at AED and revived my baseline tune. Starting my header install tomorrow after work. Looking for any advice that can be given. Any trick that you guys learned while doing the install. And any special tools that I need to make my life easier. I'm doing the work on our base shop so I'll have a lift and numerous tools available. Thanks in advance guys :rockon:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I just got done data logging for Shaun at AED and revived my baseline tune. Starting my header install tomorrow after work. Looking for any advice that can be given. Any trick that you guys learned while doing the install. And any special tools that I need to make my life easier. I'm doing the work on our base shop so I'll have a lift and numerous tools available. Thanks in advance guys :rockon:

15mm gearwrench with flexhead.

What headers did you go with?

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Undo header bolts, take out battery, take off CAI, undo motor mount bolts on each side, take out steering shaft, remove starter, take out headers,remove motor mounts, remove studs. Did I leave anything out?

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
Star socket for stud removal on passenger side head. No studs need to be removed from driver side head. I replaced the back stud on passenger head with a bolt, as the stud was long enough to interfere with the primary on the JBA header.

N20JUNKY

Established Member
Undo header bolts, take out battery, take off CAI, undo motor mount bolts on each side, take out steering shaft, remove starter, take out headers,remove motor mounts, remove studs. Did I leave anything out?

This, But I only removed the studs I had to so the headers would come off and go on. Then replace the studs I removed

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
mine passenger side didn't but I did not remove the k member.

I didn't take the k member out either. You can push the motor slightly to the drivers side and get the header in without removing the studs. The second time I did the header I did it by myself and manged to push the motor and slide the header in place.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys! Really boosting my confidence lol. I'll be sure to take pics and write up a nice how-to since we don't have one yet...if I remember to take pics.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Today could have gone better lol. some pics of my progress. I'm gonna pick it up again tomorrow.

286DDAE5-B8EE-4F9F-B5E0-13F9E279355F-44541-0000174AB7C7296F.jpg

1CA6FE68-93C4-439F-9862-BAD6AD64F0AE-44541-0000174ABFF73056.jpg

98E56F44-3736-484A-ABAB-B1947E148448-44541-0000174AC886EA6F.jpg

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Delete your sound tube haha. I would have clear coated those or sprayed them with that high-temp header paint to avoid the discoloration or surface rust (if it ever happens). Either way, they look good. Did you drop the k member?

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Delete your sound tube haha. I would have clear coated those or sprayed them with that high-temp header paint to avoid the discoloration or surface rust (if it ever happens). Either way, they look good. Did you drop the k member?

No, I left it on. Would have had more room though lol

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
I'm running SW now on my 500 but I installed JBA 1 7/8 headers in my garage on my old 11 5.0. Sounded nasty with borla s-type axlebacks. Bolting in the headers and reaching is the hardest part. Just have the hex wrench that silvermustsang mentioned. All simple unstall and instsll back. GL

Users who are viewing this thread