Header Install help/guide

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
Well I finally got a chance to work on the exhaust today. (had to install the new twin disk and 26 spline input shaft and rear tranny mount so I could drop the k member again) I had a bit of an issue with the new k member the top of the passenger side engine mount hit the front runner so after removing the kmember to remove some of the excess metal from the mount, I finally got it to fit good. Now just to finish up the left side...

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
It fit great as far as mounting and what not, it is light, and seems to be built very nicely, but again i did have to take a cut-off wheel to the top of the passenger motor mount and cut off some excess material, about 1/4" not a big deal, but I think it had more to do with the bassanni headers, they were routed odd and would have hit even on the stock k member

so overall yes I would recommend the PA Racing K member. Just be ready to trim the passenger side motor mount if your running bassani's

hotcobra03

Established Member
While doing my k-member swap, I had wood under the oil pan, but also made this because I couldn't track down an engine support locally (didn't want to wait for shipping). Worked like a charm, only cost was the bolts and the chain, the wood was scrap.

14991_1330134365909_1007462601_30824218_6094551_n.jpg

thats cool....i do alot of tile work...i had gotten a broken wet saw,stand was broke,,it is now attached to my engine stand...

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
gergregwegw-1.jpg

are these the bolts you guys are using to support the engine with the support bar?

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
Just a little update, I finished up the headers this weekend, had about 15hrs total in the headers and k member and clutch.

C360_2012-01-28-16-05-56.jpg

This photo shows what i was talking about having to trim the motor mounting plate to get the header to clear.

C360_2012-01-28-16-07-18.jpg

This is the driverside, but you can see what the mount looked like.

C360_2012-01-29-23-45-57.jpg

Fitted the bung for the AEM wideband sensor.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
excellent! ... i may be looking into this k member .. looks like your got a ton more room under there now

how do you like the sound of the bassani mids?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
gergregwegw-1.jpg

are these the bolts you guys are using to support the engine with the support bar?

This. :shrug:

Just a little update, I finished up the headers this weekend, had about 15hrs total in the headers and k member and clutch.

C360_2012-01-28-16-05-56.jpg

This photo shows what i was talking about having to trim the motor mounting plate to get the header to clear.

C360_2012-01-28-16-07-18.jpg

This is the driverside, but you can see what the mount looked like.

C360_2012-01-29-23-45-57.jpg

Fitted the bung for the AEM wideband sensor.

Did you use anything to help slide the collectors on? I'm trying to get mine back on and they don't want to go quietly. :fm:

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
lol it was fun to get them on, make sure you clean the inside with an emmory cloth lightly, and clean the pipes off, then spray a rag down with wd40 or pb blaster and lightly oil the pipes and collectors, and I used a bfh and tapped on the mounting ears, top, bottom, top, ect.

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
I put together a step by step in the first post, I don't know that its good enough for a how-to but its definitely a good start. Those are all the things I can recall doing and some precautions I recommend taking while attempting the job

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
3 guys ... 1 lift .. 1 full day ...

...what a nightmare longtubes are:nonono:

the car is now back on the ground after 15 hours of fighting finacky issues

still have to do the egr delete tomorrow before i can crank it up

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
so many finacky things man .. x pipe did not wanna mate with the stingers .. getting bolts started on the headers ... fought the oil dipstick forever .. fought springs forever

the list goes on lol

all in all it actually would theoretically be a cake walk .. but we just ran into so many small issues ... im heading back to do the egr delete and it oughta be ready to fire up!

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
i am getting mine tuned tomorrow morning (thursday) now that the headers are installed .. i am so happy with the sound and fit

did you happen to weigh the aftermarket k member along with the oem k? do you know what the weight difference is?

dropping the k was so easy that i may consider going with this one in the future(and keeping the oem suspension with it)

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I put together a step by step in the first post, I don't know that its good enough for a how-to but its definitely a good start. Those are all the things I can recall doing and some precautions I recommend taking while attempting the job

Did you use the Remflex gaskets alone or with stockers as well?

And what bolts or studs are on there?

Users who are viewing this thread