Header Install help/guide

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
2-12-12 UPDATE
Here is a list of the steps i took to install the bassani headers.

1. Raise Vehicle about 8"-12" off the ground
2. Remove front wheels
3. Remove Calipers and zip tie to strut tower mount, remove ABS sensors and hang out of the way.
4. Remove the castle nuts from the tie-rod ends, turn nuts upside down and run on till flush with top of treads as to not damage either, hit the knuckle with a bfh until tie-rod drops down DO NOT beat the piss out of the end itself, you don't want to damage the threads.
5. Unbolt the steering rack from the k-member, do not take the lines loose, and remove the steering shaft bolt and slide it up to the firewall, pull the rack towards the radiator and tie it up out of the way
6. Support the Control arm with a floor jack, raise slightly to take the power off of the strut, remove the upper strut mount, slowly lower the control arm careful not to scratch the car with the top of the shock but also keep an eye on the spring, lower it until all of the tension is off the spring and remove the springs from the car.
7. Remove lower control arm bolts and set the control arm/ knuckle/shocks aside.
8. There are several ways to support the engine discussed in this thread however, I used a block of wood, bottle jack, piece of plywood and a dish rag. Remove the two large engine mount nuts, position the block/bottle jack/plywood/rag under the front of the engine and slowly lift the engine until there is an air-gap between the mount and k-member.
9. Remove the 4 smaller bolts from the rear of the k-member, remove the 4 large bolts near the spring perches. remove the k-member from the car.
10. Unbolt the mid-pipe from the headers, and remove the nuts from the studs that hold the headers on, use penetrating oil as necessary, do not use air tools for this, slow and easy if they tighten them up, slowly run them back in and out till they are removed. Do not worry if the stud comes out, they will have to be removed anyway, I recommend a stud remover (sears has them)
11. Clean the heads with a light piece of emery cloth and a brake clean rag. Also you need to run a tap in the header mounting holes to make it easier to install the new headers.
12. I used the Remfex header gaskets for the bassani's. I used the copper heat silicon anyway to help keep them secured in the groves in the headers. I pulled the collectors from the headers and installed them separately, however, if your headers require you to route the steering shaft through the runners dont forget to do that, and making sure to torque them as specified torque for your gaskets to seal. I then installed the collector and the two front 02 sensors. I made my own extensions.
13. Install mid-pipe.
14. Slide k-member back under the car, and install all 8 bolts before tightening them engine they all line up. Then tighten them.
15. Lower the engine down into the cradle on the k-member, and tighten the two mounting nuts.
16. Install the lower control arm bolts in the k-member, set the springs into both perches and using the floor jack raise the control arm up into place, again careful with the shocks against the fenders. install the upper shock nuts.
17. Install the steering rack and steering shaft bolt, and install the tierod ends.
18. Install Brake rotors, calipers, and abs sensors.
19. install the wheels and lower the vehicle to the ground.
20. Now that your finished, go give the neighbors something to complain about!!

Original Post:
Ok for all those who have installed headers on their 03's, especially bassani mid lengths, how did you do it? drop the k-member? did you have to unhook anything? did you do it with the k member up? how did you do the drivers side manifold? I have done alot of searching but can't seem to find an install guide or a HOW-TO.. Any help, tips, or tricks would be appreciated. I will have the tranny out of the way, I imagine that will help.

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
I am about to install MAC lt's on mine in the next few weeks .. I really wish there were a good "how-to" write up on this .. I too would love some tips before going into the install

I do plan to drop the K during my install

ian04

Established Member
i just did a set of mids on my 04 due yourself a favor and drop the k from the start it will save u so much stress and bullshit it opens up so much space i was able to do the drivers side with it in but could not get the pass dun with it in i dont see how u could do it anyother way but dropen it

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, I'm gonna work on it this morning, I just don't see how the added work of completely removing the k.member is easier but ill find out I'm sure as I get started.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
Keep us updated on your progress and opinions .. my brother in law has installed two sets on the 03/04s .. and with my install he def recommended removing the k first. . bc it was such a pita with it in place on the previous two cars

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
After reading too many posts and talking to my local speed shop, I have decided to pull the k member and replace it as well with a PA Racing kmember it will save me soo much weight and make working on this thing so much easier. I will continue updating this the farther i get, I pulled the tires off and im just about to the point of pulling the springs out but i have to pick up a spring compressor.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
PA Racing kmember

is this K a simple swap, meaning you retain the stock suspension?

i've been trying to do research on an aftermarket K while i'm tackling this job but I do not want to go all aftermarket front end (tubular a-arms and coilovers)

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
Thanks That worked perfect, It was surprisingly easy to pull the k member, took maybe two hours and the I had the old k member sitting back in place, (just till I get the clutch put in and the new k member arrives). It was unbelievable how easy it was to work on the car with the k member out of the way.

I started by removing the wheels, brakes (tied up the calipers), unbolted the tie rod ends and the rack, zip tied it out of the way, unbolted the sway bar, removed the top of the struts, and lowering the arms till the springs could come out, then removed the control arms from the car, I then used a bottle jack, small piece of wood with a rag on top and positioned it and the front of the oil pan, removed the motor mount nuts, and raised the engine just till the weight was off of the k member, and removed the k member, from there just unbolted the headers and removed the studs with a stud removing tool.

I plan on buying stainless cap screws to install the headers, and I had purchased REMFLEX gaskets as well.

Last edited:

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
PA Racing kmember

is this K a simple swap, meaning you retain the stock suspension?

i've been trying to do research on an aftermarket K while i'm tackling this job but I do not want to go all aftermarket front end (tubular a-arms and coilovers)

Yes this Kmember allows you to use your stock control arms or purchase new arms with or with out the spring perch so you can upgrade down the road if you like. I will be using my stock arms.

PA Racing

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
That is awesome to hear .. I feel less worried about tackling this job myself now from my back..

I have always heard the headers install is so much easier with the K out and its nice to hear you confirm this! Now I know to do it for sure

Supporting the engine from underneath by placing the weight on the front end of the oil pan is not harmful to the pan or dangerous?? .. I wouldn't think the pan could support that kind of weight without damaging it...

Obviously it can since you did it .. that would be much easier than supporting the engine from up top which would require the purchase of some kind of hoist...

JDUB348

Established Member
I'm thinking way ahead. I'm doing a SRA conversion and with it i'm going to do a full maximum suspension setup and whole new exhaust.Going to do it all at once so i don't have to anything more then once. Going to cost alot of money up front, but better then pulling the k member a million times.

Will be pretty badass going from a completely stock IRS to a built SRA with maximum suspension, headers, pro chamber, and new cat back :D

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
The key is to use a block of wood, in my case a piece of 1/2 plywood 6"x8" and the dish rag for extra cushion. And understand I only had to raise it about 1". The rear cross member still had all the weight as well. If you use a piece of wood, and place it the front, where the corners are going to support it (thats where the most strength is) you'll be fine. I have used this method a hundred times on other cars.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I'd just get one of these, and you will have no worries about crushed gaskets or leaks later. They run 30% off sales at times. I picked mine up for $50.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
While doing my k-member swap, I had wood under the oil pan, but also made this because I couldn't track down an engine support locally (didn't want to wait for shipping). Worked like a charm, only cost was the bolts and the chain, the wood was scrap.

14991_1330134365909_1007462601_30824218_6094551_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread