Head upgrades

Tenntitans

Established Member
have a built motor that I'm having to pull apart and go through. Heads have some mild port work. Everything else is stock. Be running a f1A procharger up to 20 psi. Thinking I should upgrade the valve springs while it's apart. Was wondering your guys thoughts on that. If I do I'm guessing to just run the mmr valve springs??

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Would they be good enough for 20 psi/1000hp setup???

I can't give you a canned answer because the spring's effective rate will decrease with more boost. If I were you, I would look at spring rates when you buy and talk to a respected engine builder.

Boss Spring apply 300 N closed and 700 N opened
GT springs apply 265 N closed and 650 N opened

krhonn

Established Member
Big write up about this. I stumbled upon it the other day. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find it. It definitely has biased opinions as usual but very informative on all kinds of springs and when to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
brian tooley valve springs also have a great rep and price point, not sure on pressure specs though

BPatterson

Established Member
Is BTR offering a Coyote spring yet? I know they had 2v and 4v springs, but no coyote stuff yet.

Anyways, a good drop in spring that works with stock retainers is the Trick Flow. That's what JPC uses in all of their turbo builds. I personally run PAC springs and retainers in my NA motor.

Tenntitans

Established Member
Looks like I'll go with the trick flow ones from jpc. Was going to get the mmr upgrade but I wasn't sure if I really needed the upgraded retainers or nkt

BPatterson

Established Member
MMR springs are junk. I have a set sitting here in my garage that are worthless. None of them tested anywhere their advertised pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread