head machine work questions

pacific4v

Established Member
I'm getting ready to pull my engine next week and while its out I want to pull the heads to replace the head bolts with studs. My car already has a newer short block in it so I'm assuming the heads have been resurfaced once already. How many times can they be resurfaced? I was reading on prodemand at work the max amount that can be removed is 0.004". Anyone have any expierence with this? Is there anything special about machining heads for 4.6? Should I let my local machine shop do it or send them out to a shop that specializes on mod motors?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I've shaved as much as .060" fom 4v heads. On street engines I keep it to .030".

Why do you want to add studs? Stock bolts can hold 20psi of boost and they are a helluva lot cheaper.

I recommend the shop that does all of my valve jobs and they are in Dayton.

pacific4v

Established Member
My short block is around 11:1 cr and I should be around 12-13psi. I just thought that'd be a lot of cylinder pressure and I didn't want to risk lifting the heads. Do u think I'll be fine with the bolts?

1997Cobra

Established Member
im going to guess that you meant .040". because .004" is only about the thickness of your hair. Maybe that number was the max it can be out of flatness?

Shaunk

Established Member
Typically I like to stay under .020 removed on them. Studs are not a bad upgrade at all they provide a better clamping force and they are reuseable.

Users who are viewing this thread