Head Gaskets fixed

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
Well after the new motor was installed I had a problem pushing water. I think the extra torque requirements of the ARP2000 head studs helped my o-ring in the block damage the gasket....So we went with a SCE Copper Gasket and receiver groove in the head...

Back on the dyno today and made

980 at 25psi
1100 at 33psi

I've made some suspension changes and added a bigger slick with the help of autolibre, f8lsnk and illtaketwilight.

I'm running a solid upper and solid lowers from UPR and also went to a 29x10.5W Hoosier. We reset the IC and pinion angle. Also scaled the car. 4000 on the button with me in it.

We have a track rental on Sunday so I'll know more then.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I think the extra torque requirements of the ARP2000 head studs helped my o-ring in the block damage the gasket...

Tony, I wondered how ARP came up with their recommended torque figures the last time I installed a set of head studs for a small block Ford. It seemed like I was being told to use too much torque when installed in conjunction with the recommended ARP fastener assembly lubricant. So your comment struck a chord.

Looking through the ARP catalog and the listing for ARP 2000 head studs for the 4V 5.4 engine, I see mention of torquing to 100 ft lbs (with lube).

ScreenHunter_02Dec082027.gif

Ford, on the other hand, uses a different method in their service manual.

ScreenHunter_01Dec082026.gif

What I don't know, is that after the third "stage" of torquing to 59 lbs ft, is what torque figure do you end up with when you go another 180* with the torque wrench? Are you somewhere around 70 to 80 lbs ft?

Tob

Note the discrepancy between Ford and ARP and the use of ft lbs vs lbs ft...

Last edited:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
What??? You mean Instant center, percentage of rise, anti-squat and center of gravity is important on initial suspension set-up??? ;-) Its not to bad to calculate all that stuff out after a getting all the right info.

J/K-glad you are getting it squared away. Now let's get this puppy in the 8s with a transmission that wasn't designed for the physically handicapped.

TOB it's hard to compare torque specs with Ford using torque to yield bolts. We would have to have a lot more info to calculate actual clamping force.

Last edited:

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
I thought you'd already sold your Hellion kit and were getting ready to install the Caveman Kit?

Decided to stay the course and keep the stick!! I really didn't want to spend another 20k on the Shelby.

I really have a good feeling about the set up...Hopefully I'll some great numbers on Sunday....Rain is in the forecast though. Either way I'll be back at the track as soon as possible.

Not sure it will go an 8 but it will surely be faster than the 9.49 pass.

DMotorsports

Established Member
Well, Lingenfelter did it with a tr6060 2010 camaro. No reason the same feat can't be accomplished in a GT500 if everything comes together just right. Good luck!

F8L SN8K

Established Member
The camaro was faceplated or proshifted if I remember correctly. But made less power and weighed more.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
TOB it's hard to compare torque specs with Ford using torque to yield bolts. We would have to have a lot more info to calculate actual clamping force.

I know it is difficult. That's why I asked if he had seen a torque value (at what I assume was a torque reading of the stock bolts) when he said

Tony said:
I think the extra torque requirements...

I was interested as to how he came up with "extra"...

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
god damn that thing is a real beast or should i say BULL

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
what??? You mean instant center, percentage of rise, anti-squat and center of gravity is important on initial suspension set-up??? ;-) its not to bad to calculate all that stuff out after a getting all the right info.

J/k-glad you are getting it squared away. Now let's get this puppy in the 8s with a transmission that wasn't designed for the physically handicapped.

Tob it's hard to compare torque specs with ford using torque to yield bolts. We would have to have a lot more info to calculate actual clamping force.

+1

shelby mark

Established Member
Decided to stay the course and keep the stick!! I really didn't want to spend another 20k on the Shelby.

I really have a good feeling about the set up...Hopefully I'll some great numbers on Sunday....Rain is in the forecast though. Either way I'll be back at the track as soon as possible.

Not sure it will go an 8 but it will surely be faster than the 9.49 pass.

good luck with this improved set up, 8's!

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
We made 1200 with 46 and a leaky coupler and 1200 with 40 on our dyno. At kots we made 1139 at 40 psi on a real fat tune hoping for cooler weather. Either way power means nothing if you can't put it down. Hopefully I can put 1000 down on Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread