Head/cam combo.. thoughts?

SVTsnake281

Established Member
I'm looking at putting cams into my 04' Cobra. The car will only be driven a couple days a week and on the weekends. I'm leaning towards Crower stage 2 cams and springs from lethal performance along with their 850hp return fuel system and Foxlake will more than likely be who ports and rebuilds my heads. I don't have a lot of experience with heads or cams on our cars so was looking for some input from some of the more experienced guys or anyone who has had their heads done or had cams installed. Any thoughts or opinions about cams and porting the heads? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

RPM4DAZ

Because stock sucks!!
Established Member
I say, if you are planning to pull and go through the heads, go for it. Cam choice is fine just make sure the proper springs are used for them. I myself would use cams around 218-220 @ .050" intake and around 222-226 @ .050" exhaust for the supercharger set at 112' l/sep. That would make a great street setup and all around performer. Bullet cams can grind something for sure. They have a large selection of lobe profiles to choose from. As far as heads go my opinion is spend the money and get bigger valves provided you are planning to get new valves. Are we using headers? If not maybe some porting work done on the stock manifolds then... Foxlake should do well for you. Maybe consider TEA, Livernois or M2 race systems.

SVTsnake281

Established Member
Chris, I have to get my heads rebuilt due to why seems like a valve guide that has gone bad. I figured while the heads are off anyway, I might as well get a conservative port and maybe a small cam installed. Something not too crazy with a noticeable exhaust tone. The car is primarily street driven so it'll be tuned on 93 octane. Thanks for any recommendations you can offer. I'm actually headed home from Afghanistan now and should be home in a week or so. Look forward to hearing back from you. -Justin

itSSlow98

Established Member
Definetly would suggest livernois. Never heard a single bad thing about them. I personally don't see the hp/$ in cams but livernois is who id trust to take on such a task.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Chris, I have to get my heads rebuilt due to why seems like a valve guide that has gone bad. I figured while the heads are off anyway, I might as well get a conservative port and maybe a small cam installed. Something not too crazy with a noticeable exhaust tone. The car is primarily street driven so it'll be tuned on 93 octane. Thanks for any recommendations you can offer. I'm actually headed home from Afghanistan now and should be home in a week or so. Look forward to hearing back from you. -Justin

As a former soldier, I'd like to personally thank you for your service. I spent some time in Jalabad last year contracting and was also in Iraq and Afghanistan while I was active duty. As far as your heads and cam go we can do a CNC and valve job on your heads to increase flow and custom spec you a set of cams to maximize your gains. Are you running a stock Eaton or an upgraded blower? Any other bolt ons i.e. headers, intake, exhaust, etc. The more information I get the easier it is to narrow down the best setup for you! -Chris

SVTsnake281

Established Member
I'm running a whipple at 17lbs. I'll be swapping out my JLT RAI for their new high boost intake. Also will be installing lethals 850hp return system. Car has 63lb injectors, stock manifolds and bassani x pipe and cat back. Any other specifics you'd need just let me know. I def appreciate the help.

SVTsnake281

Established Member
2.3 and it made 610rwhp. It was tuned by Greg @ RET out in California on 91. Eric Brooks will more than likely be tuning it this time since I'm down in Valdosta Georgia.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
2.3 and it made 610rwhp. It was tuned by Greg @ RET out in California on 91. Eric Brooks will more than likely be tuning it this time since I'm down in Valdosta Georgia.

Sent you a PM. Please check it and get ahold of me. -Chris

Always hear good things bout Livernois

Thanks! We honestly strive to make the customer happy. Without folks like you we wouldn't be in business and I wouldn't have the awesome job of being around cars all day! -Chris

supraman1990

Established Member
Sent you a PM. Please check it and get ahold of me. -Chris

Thanks! We honestly strive to make the customer happy. Without folks like you we wouldn't be in business and I wouldn't have the awesome job of being around cars all day! -Chris

Chris, i too sent you a PM about possibly doing some work with you

Avispa

Established Member
I say, if you are planning to pull and go through the heads, go for it. Cam choice is fine just make sure the proper springs are used for them. I myself would use cams around 218-220 @ .050" intake and around 222-226 @ .050" exhaust for the supercharger set at 112' l/sep. That would make a great street setup and all around performer. Bullet cams can grind something for sure. They have a large selection of lobe profiles to choose from. As far as heads go my opinion is spend the money and get bigger valves provided you are planning to get new valves. Are we using headers? If not maybe some porting work done on the stock manifolds then... Foxlake should do well for you. Maybe consider TEA, Livernois or M2 race systems.

If you use cams with duration specs like these, just don't freak out when the boost drops wayyyyy off without changing anything on your blower setup. The stock cams are only 184/[email protected] inch lift.

GodStang

Established Member

Eric Brooks does an awesome awesome job.

I am running Crower stage III cams but tuned by Kurgan Motorsports in GA and the car drives better than stock so I recommend something bigger than stage II cams. I always find it best to get your heads done and then get custom cams to match those heads. Livernois and Fox Lake would be about the only two I would go with.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Bob Kurgan can spec you out a set of custom cams as well for your setup and can get them for you. He also could get your heads ported, car tuned, etc. all in his shop in GA

GodStang

Established Member
Bob Kurgan can spec you out a set of custom cams as well for your setup and can get them for you. He also could get your heads ported, car tuned, etc. all in his shop in GA

True story wish he was down here 8 years ago when I did my build.

SVTsnake281

Established Member
GodStang, did you have any clearance issues with the Stage 3 cams? I might try and contact Kurgan Motorsports before I leave Germany tomorrow and try to get a general quote on what kind of $$ I'd be looking at for them to do everything to my car. It would be much easier to just drive my car 4 hours to Atlanta and drop it off, rather than worrying about getting the car built at one shop and then moving it somewhere else for the tune.

Users who are viewing this thread