Having trouble shifting at high rpms, what could my problem be?

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
This recently just started happening. Ironically, a little bit after I recently added a 26 spline DFX and a 26 spline-liberty shaft.

Lets say I'm driving around in 2nd gear, roughly 3k rpms, and I floor it and at 5k I want to shift from 2nd to third. It's almost impossible for me to pull the shifter out of gear and even if I do, its not going into third.

It does this from 3rd to 4th gear as well.

Normal driving is fine, never had a problem. Just I guess when I'm in boost and above 3500 rpms.

If it makes any difference, I still have the stock cable and quadrant.

What should I look into to fix this problem?

:pop:

optx002

Established Member
i have the same problem. Im hoping the fiore adjuster and steeda quick release quadrant and ldc freeplay kit help. At least thats what ive read other members complain about and say this is a fix for. Good luck.

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
optx002 said:
i have the same problem. Im hoping the fiore adjuster and steeda quick release quadrant and ldc freeplay kit help. At least thats what ive read other members complain about and say this is a fix for. Good luck.

Where did you order your parts from?

How much was the total shipped?

When will you be installing to see if it solves the problem?

I think I might replace the tranny fluid, ie a flush when I have the rest installed. Maybe switch to synthetic fluid

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
You have a very common problem. The stock quadrant is plastic and during WOT runs it will flex. This causes the clutch not to engage properly and it is very difficult to shift.

I got a steeda quadrant and adjustable firewall adjuster and it solved the problem immediately.

optx002

Established Member
96BlackSnake said:
Where did you order your parts from?

How much was the total shipped?

When will you be installing to see if it solves the problem?

I think I might replace the tranny fluid, ie a flush when I have the rest installed. Maybe switch to synthetic fluid

I ordered the fiore and steeda parts from www.realspeedautomotive.com . They had it in stock. I think together those parts were around 79 or so. shipping another 10 dollars. I got the ldc freeplay kit directly from ldc. I should be getting those parts this week, and i hope to install them soon.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Chonger said:
You have a very common problem. The stock quadrant is plastic and during WOT runs it will flex. This causes the clutch not to engage properly and it is very difficult to shift.

I got a steeda quadrant and adjustable firewall adjuster and it solved the problem immediately.

+1....I had the same problem before I added the quadrant and adjuster...

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
Did you guys replace the cable as well or just the quadrant?

How difficult is the install? Can it be done in the garage or do I need to take it somewhere?

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
Chonger said:
Use the stock cable. I did mine in about 1 hour in my garage.

Okay, I guess I should of re-worded my question.

Should you buy another OEM cable or re-use the one already on the car?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
96BlackSnake said:
Okay, I guess I should of re-worded my question.

Should you buy another OEM cable or re-use the one already on the car?
If the current cable is not frayed or sticking, then use it.You have to cut off the plastic piece on the firewall side to make it work. Not a big deal, but if it's your daily driver, you might want to buy a spare oem cable before the install, especially if it isn't in stock at your local dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread