having issues...coil packs?

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
Ok, well I started having car problems last night. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but 3 days ago I rinsed the motor off trying to clean it a bit. Now I tried to cover everything that didn't need to get wet. After I did it I cranked it and pulled in the garage and everything was fine.

Yesterday I crank it to go meet somebody to eat and it sounds fine. About halfway there I notice a popping tone coming from the exhaust between 1800-1900 rpms...the car slightly bogs down too. Below and above those rpms are fine. Now when I get to the restaurant, the idle sounds funny and it starts loping like I have a heavier cam in it with a rougher idle. On the way home, the car bogs down and jerks all the thru the gears and is fine when I hit 5th until i get in that 1800-1900 rpm range. Also, the idle levels out everytime the a/c compressor kicks in. The car does have MSD coil packs and all. I don't know if it's that, or something else. Any ideas?

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
take the wires off off the coil packs and blow the holes out with compressed air, also the connections going to the packs as well. i would even pop the wires off off the cam covers and blow the holes and wires also

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
check for any water and maybe its the msd thats the problem, if you got it went you may have screwed it up, stock ford coil packs are the best

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
Ok guys, it's not the coil packs or water issue. I replaced the coil packs and everything is still the same. Also took plug wires off and no water or condensation.

So that being said, I took it by a friend's shop and left it with him and told him to call me. He said the car is throwing 2 codes about the front O2 sensors voltage. He said the left side of the motor wasn't getting the same amount of fuel as the right side. Does that sound legit? He said he'd replace the sensors tomorrow.

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
well, I can't remember the exact codes..I'll find out for sure tomorrow. The CEL has been on for about a month, but when I ran the code it was for the rear sensors (had my cats cut off). When I talked to him he said that code was on there was 2 more for the fronts.

Users who are viewing this thread