have you used Autotrader to sell a car?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Anyone who has actually listed a car on autotrader, I have one specific question. As I recall, they require you to list a phone number and agree to a condition that they can share that info with their "marketing partners" or "affiliates", or something to that effect.

I found that to be an objectionable part of the deal.

Did I read too much into their agreement?

blubyu87gt

Established Member
I don't know about the specific T&C you're concerned about for AutoTrader. However, I am pretty familiar with the way some robocall/callbots/Spam caller functions work. Short answer: I wouldn't think too much of it.

Spam dialers will go through random phone numbers, see it was answered by either voicemail or a person (if you've ever got a random silent hang up call this is likely the cause), catalog it as a working number, then forward / sell it to the same marketing partners.

So it's not all that difficult for them to get your number anyway. Unless you turn off voicemail, never answer for phone numbers not in your contact list, or/and use a carrier / manufacturer's application to identify and block said calls. At least you get something out of the deal when posting on AT.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Never got any real bites from AT ads. My cars have sold via cars.com free ads, the forums & Craigslist.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
google voice is your friend, I use that for anything Im selling and anything else where I dont want someone to have my actual number. If that number starts getting blown up you pay google like $5 to get a new number

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I sell a ton on Autotrader. I'm not sure what rules or terms are changed from dealer to individual though.

Never_Enough

Established Member
google voice is your friend, I use that for anything Im selling and anything else where I dont want someone to have my actual number. If that number starts getting blown up you pay google like $5 to get a new number
+1. I have Google Voice for talking to people about my cars for sale or Craigslists ads & I also use that # for exchanging #s with women. Too many crazies out there! :D

CV355

_
Established Member
I have bought off Autotrader
Tried selling, unsuccessfully
Craigslist seemed to work better and I always use a burner number/email address. If it gets blown up with spam calls and Russian-bride emails, I just chuck it and make another one

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I posted my old ST to autotrader and got a few bites from further out east.

Ended up selling to a guy in town who found it on CL.

Their service was actually decent but you could tell they were always trying to up sell me on whatever stuff they were offering. I spent some time with the guy on the phone and he went through my ad, talked about parts he liked and didn't like.

Overall I would call it positive.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member

To you and others who suggested Google Voice, thank you. I got three calls last night, all spam/scam, and all between 1 and 2AM. Google voice dumped them in voice mail before, thus not ringing my phone and waking up the household.

Last edited:

bigmoose

Established Member
I still get spam calls from a listing I had on there 5 years ago. I know 100% it's from Auto trader because it says my warranty is expired on my Acura, which was the car I was selling.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I just tested that google voice burner number again from another line in my office and it rings right to my cell phone as planned. Not sure why those calls ended up in the google voice VM last night (early this morning) but I'm glad they did.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m not sure if there’s a do not disturb time window in the google voice app or not. It may also have recognized them as spam numbers

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I was just on the Google Voice settings page for my account. Lots of options, none that I had clicked on, including blocking spam calls, or do not disturb. Hmmm...

Oh well, if it ain't broke...

Never_Enough

Established Member
I just tested that google voice burner number again from another line in my office and it rings right to my cell phone as planned. Not sure why those calls ended up in the google voice VM last night (early this morning) but I'm glad they did.
You can mess w/the settings & do either one

Never_Enough

Established Member
I’m not sure if there’s a do not disturb time window in the google voice app or not. It may also have recognized them as spam numbers
All smart phones have a setting for DND window these days. I have my S8+ setup for DND during my sleep hours for the week.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How big of a bite do they take out of your profit?

We pay a large monthly fee based off of the number of vehicles we have listed. I usually have 100-120 and it costs about $6,000 a month.

sleek98

Established Member
We pay a large monthly fee based off of the number of vehicles we have listed. I usually have 100-120 and it costs about $6,000 a month.

Jesus your paying 50 a month per car, Do you have to pay just as much for cars.com as well? That seems super high. Does the 6k a month cover anything else?

Users who are viewing this thread