Have you completely eliminated wheel hop?

90FoX

Established Member
About to start an IRS swap on my 1996 mustang and wanted to know if anyone has been able to fully eliminate wheel hop. I'm talking about after the FTB bushing kit and subframe connectors.

I've seen a lot of conflicting information in my searches so I thought I would start a thread to see if anyone has actually completely eliminated wheel hop.

What mods did you have to do to fully eliminate the wheel hop?

Ralo

Established Member
Just a brace and drag radials here and the answer is no....next thing I'll try in drag bags.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Yes.. .
No IRS bushings.

I am running:

• MM K-member (with 2-point brace)
• MM Front Control Arms
• MM XL Series Full-length Subframe Connectors
• MM Coil-over Conversion Kits, Front and Rear
• Coil-over springs
• MM Caster/Camber Plates
• MM Aluminum Steering rack Bushings
• MM Strut Tower Brace
• MM Front Swaybar Relocation Kit
• Front Swaybar Bushings
• Front Swaybar End Links
• MM Front Bumpsteer Kit
• MM Rear Bumpsteer Kit
• MM Delrin Rear Upper Control Arm Bushings
• MM Delrin Rear Lower Control Arm Bushings
• MM Aluminum Differential Mounts
• MM Urethane Subframe Bushings
• MM Adjustable Swaybar Endlinks
• Urethane Rear Swaybar Bushings
• MM Oil Filter Relocation Kit

Also running Invos.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Yes.. .
No IRS bushings.

I am running:

• MM Front Control Arms
• Coil-over springs
• MM Strut Tower Brace
• Front Swaybar Bushings
• MM Front Bumpsteer Kit
• MM Rear Bumpsteer Kit

Also running Invos.

Yep... a quote right off MM's web site about IRS wheel hop, and the cure..

A major complaint of IRS owners is wheel hop. The undamped compression of the rubber bushings in the rear suspension is the primary cause of wheel hop. That undamped movement is amplified by repeated loss of traction. Wheel hop occurs because the rear tires continually oscillate between losing and then regaining traction. The extremely soft stock bushings contribute greatly to this oscillation because the rubber compresses easily and then springs back, over and over again. To reduce wheel hop the stock rubber control arm bushings must be eliminated.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
About to start an IRS swap on my 1996 mustang and wanted to know if anyone has been able to fully eliminate wheel hop. I'm talking about after the FTB bushing kit and subframe connectors.

I've seen a lot of conflicting information in my searches so I thought I would start a thread to see if anyone has actually completely eliminated wheel hop.

What mods did you have to do to fully eliminate the wheel hop?

I used accobra's ("Full tilt boogie") delrin bushings kit and solid aluminum pumpkin bushings. Eliminated 98% of the wheel hop.

Blk03CobraVenom

Love me some Boost
Established Member
I put subframe connectors, cc plates, strut tower brace, H&R Race springs, diff brace, diff bushings, and the wheel hop is pretty much gone. Tires also need to be heated. I heard after lowering and dr's it cured or helped a whole lot. You don't need all that crap MM lists on their site unless you are planning on road racing constantly. Besides that you sacrifice a lot of ride quality with those components. Try the simple cheaper mods first and see if it works.

monX

Established Member
Cooler temperatures will contribute to wheel hop.

I have Nittos 555 radials, super sport springs, billetflow brace and subframe connectors and I won't lie, I hop a lot when its cooler, but when the ground and the radials are fairly warm, it hops less, but it also depends on how much you accelerate, when I accelerate fairly aggressive (nothing crazy) it hops for a second and hooks, it's pretty disappointing. Although I have all MM bushings and will install once I get off my lazy ass

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Diff cover braces do nothing for curing wheel hop. They are basically band aids to try and keep the cover in one piece if, and when, you do get wheel hop. Temperature, tires, and the slop in the factory IRS (flexing control arm bushings, and IRS mounts) are all causes of wheel hop.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I put subframe connectors, cc plates, strut tower brace, H&R Race springs, diff brace, diff bushings, and the wheel hop is pretty much gone. Tires also need to be heated. I heard after lowering and dr's it cured or helped a whole lot. You don't need all that crap MM lists on their site unless you are planning on road racing constantly. Besides that you sacrifice a lot of ride quality with those components. Try the simple cheaper mods first and see if it works.

Sacrifice ride quality?? LOL You already did that with the H&R race springs (ESPECIALLY THESE), subframe connectors and strut tower brace.

I'm not saying any of those mods are wrong (I have them too) but adding delrin bushings did not sacrifice ride quality one tiny bit, IT ACTUALLY IMPROVED IT.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Sacrifice ride quality?? LOL You already did that with the H&R race springs (ESPECIALLY THESE), subframe connectors and strut tower brace.

I'm not saying any of those mods are wrong (I have them too) but adding delrin bushings did not sacrifice ride quality one tiny bit, IT ACTUALLY IMPROVED IT.

Correct!

Delrin IRS control arm bushings do not cause any ride quality, or noise, issues.

Aluminum diff support bushings can cause more NVH, but do a great job at reducing even more movement.

90FoX

Established Member
Just a brace and drag radials here and the answer is no....next thing I'll try in drag bags.

I think if you replace all the bushings in the IRS you would be surprised how much of a difference it makes. My friend has an 03 cobra and replaced the irs bushings with full tilt boogie bushings and it helped significantly.

90FoX

Established Member
Yes.. .
No IRS bushings.

I am running:

• MM Front Control Arms
• Coil-over springs
• MM Strut Tower Brace
• Front Swaybar Bushings
• MM Front Bumpsteer Kit
• MM Rear Bumpsteer Kit

Also running Invos.

You listed a lot of parts which aren't for the IRS. Do you think these other parts helped with the wheel hop? It seems from you list you've replaced the bushings and have a bump steer kit in the rear only, right?

90FoX

Established Member
I know you can if you put a straight axle in it, lol.

If you read my first post, which most people dont, you would know that I am going to start an IRS swap; implying that I have a SRA already in the vehicle. :loser:

Last edited:

90FoX

Established Member

Another member posted a few posts above you also mentioned front suspension upgrades. Do you think the cc plates and strut tower brace helped the rear suspension? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread