Have a chance to get an 03 40th black coupe

KJ Hoppus

Black2k3svt
Established Member
Have a chance to get an 03 10th black coupe

Well Iv been looking for a sonic blue coupe, but to no luck. A local dealer has a 03 10th anv. Black Coupe with 9xxx miles. It looks to be in good condition. The front tires have been replaced, but the rears still have good rubber. I like the fact that there are only like 381 black 10th anv. Coupes out there. The dealer (a chevy dealer) wants 27K for it. I am going to go look at it and go for a test drive tomorrow. Anyway what do you guys think? Should I wait for a blue coupe or if everything works out get this one.

Last edited:

RGrossman

Established Member
I have the exact car you are thinking of getting. Get it! Its a great car and is much rarer then the normal 03 cobra's. It really looks amazing with the minor touches they add to the 10th. All leather seats, painted brake calipers and one of the things I like the most, the steering wheel.

Rwick7

Established Member
The price is a little high...although your in Cali so that might make a difference

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was going to say the price is a bit high, too. See if you can get them down to around $25,500. And check the history as far as warrantee work done. Always a good idea. Good luck on it. Sounds like a nice Cobra!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh, as far as the color, if you've really been wanting a Sonic Blue coupe then I'd hold out. If you KNOW you'll be just as happy with black then consider this one. Nothing worse than compromising and 6 months down the road wishing you had waited for the car you really wanted. JMO.

KJ Hoppus

Black2k3svt
Established Member
that price is actually pretty good for ca, most want 28 or 29k. also i did some research and its not a 10th anv. edition it just has the wheels on it. i did a carfax and it says that at like 9k miles it had the suspension, tranny, and a LOF done on it, other than that no records. Im going to try and get the price down, and if they wont go down i probably wont go for it.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
KJ Hoppus said:
...i did a carfax and it says that at like 9k miles it had the suspension, tranny, and a LOF done on it...
How are suspension/trans repair records showing up in a CarFax? You need to take the VIN of that car down to a Ford dealer and ask them to run it through OASIS. Something doesn't sound right.

-Greg

KJ Hoppus

Black2k3svt
Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
How are suspension/trans repair records showing up in a CarFax? You need to take the VIN of that car down to a Ford dealer and ask them to run it through OASIS. Something doesn't sound right.

-Greg

it had a vehicle service report i guess it was a 6k when that stuff was done.

Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

01/13/2003 NICB
Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original
dealer

01/23/2003 21 Dealer Inventory
Redwood City, CA
Vehicle offered for sale

12/10/2003 66 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Stockton, CA
Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Loan or lien reported

12/10/2003 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Registered as
personal vehicle

04/21/2004 4,181 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

07/27/2004 6,744 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Suspension system serviced
Transmission serviced
Miscellaneous service performed
Air conditioning serviced
Cooling system serviced
Lubed oil and filter changed

08/26/2004 7,966 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

09/22/2004 9,333 California
Inspection Station
Passed emissions inspection

09/27/2004 9,335 Servi
ce Facility
Vehicle serviced

10/07/2004 Dealer Inventory
Elk Grove, CA
Vehicle offered for sale

10/22/2004 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Elk Grove, CA
Title issued or updated
Loan or lien reported

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
KJ Hoppus said:
04/21/2004 4,181 Service Facility Vehicle serviced

07/27/2004 6,744 Service Facility Vehicle serviced

Suspension system serviced
Transmission serviced
Miscellaneous service performed
Air conditioning serviced
Cooling system serviced
Lubed oil and filter changed

09/27/2004 9,335 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
That's really bizarre. I've never seen that in a CarFax report before. :shrug:

<...long pause...>

OK...I just went to the CarFax website and learned something new. Check this out...

From CarFax.com

CARFAX is just now beginning to receive service records from dealers and service companies across the country. However, CARFAX does not currently report on all vehicle service work or repairs so this may explain why some of the vehicles you are researching do not have any service records on file.

"Vehicle serviced" means regular service and maintenance was completed. It doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem with the vehicle, only that a mechanic serviced the vehicle. CARFAX attempts to provide as much information as is available. Unfortunately, some of the records we receive from our sources do not detail the nature of the service performed on that date. However, CARFAX feels that it is relevant to include these records on our reports as they do provide a chronological progression of the vehicle's odometer readings.
So it sounds like this Cobra just got regular service from a Jiffy Lube or something. If you look at CarFax records, the "Vehicle Serviced" items seem to be every 3 months or 3,000. So it doesn't look like the car has a new suspension, trans, etc.

I'd still check it out through OASIS at a Ford dealer just to make sure.

-Greg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was going to say the same thing. Just routine maintenance. Not sure what routine maintenance would be entailed for the tranny at 6,000 miles except to check the fluid level. And I agree that an OASIS check is a very good idea. You never know!

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Not sure what routine maintenance would be entailed for the tranny at 6,000 miles except to check the fluid level.
Sounds like maybe he may have been sold a "manual transmission service" at the local Jiffy Lube. :-D They always seem to find something to sell you there. :lol1:

I had no idea CarFax was now pulling maintenance records...although I have a hard time believing that CarFax gets data from any manufacturer's database. Maybe they just get data from big oil-change places or something.

-Greg

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
Make sure the warranty is still fully intact by checking it through OASIS. Get the warranty info directly from Ford. You can probably call SVT with the VIN and get it too. I agree the price is a little high.

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
I was on the fence when I bought mine. Didn't know if I wanted to pony up for an 03 Cobra.------------Then I saw the 10th anniversary. The seats and interior had me hooked! I changed the wheels to replica chromies w/10.5's out back, but I would keep the stockers if they came out w/a 10.5 or 11" rear wheel.

Get the Black 10th. Colors fads change from year to year. Two colors always remain hot, though---Black and Red.

Users who are viewing this thread