Has anyone went from Bama to Steeda? I'm having some serious issues with new tune.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Originally, I bought the sf3 handheld back in late 2010 for the 11 mustang gt. I purchased this with the airaid/tune combo. This tune may have been old, but it was strong as hell, and would churp the tires all the way to 4th. I recently added an o/r x pipe and 4.10 gears, and they said they had to write me a brand new tune. Well, the tune is crap. My car is delaying shifts. As I run thru the gears, it litterally sounds like a manual. I went to the track, and in the adjustable option I changed the shift press. from 0 to 20%, and changed the mph to -3 between shifts. It seems like this helped, but now the car is shifting really early, and still doing the same thing. I called Saturday and talked to the guy that hooked me up with the tune, and he was going to have something ready for me Monday. Monday rolled around and I called and talked to someone else who also said they would get me a tune that same day, and today no later than lunch. Well, here it is lunch time and still nothing so I called again, and talked to another person, and he told me it would typically take 3 business days for them to get the new tune, he also explained that basically they were going to change the shift speed and pressure (what I did with the handheld,that didnt fix it) and get it back to me within 3 days.

Needless to say, I'm frustrated because I went to the pony wars, and my times ranged from 11.90s to 12.70s depending on how long it took it to shift. It also seems to be running lean, which may be because I also got screwed by the exhaust shop and have a leak at the manifold to o/r pipe gasket.

Who do you guys recommend? I won the 12 second bracket with this tune, so steeda give me a certificate for 150 bucks, which would equal out to be a free tune from steeda. Is the steeda tunes any better? If Bama can get my tune back to me today, and its fixed like it was with the shifts, then I'll stick with them, but if not, I'm going to try the Steeda tune.

Cowboytk

Grey Ghost
Established Member
Originally, I bought the sf3 handheld back in late 2010 for the 11 mustang gt. I purchased this with the airaid/tune combo. This tune may have been old, but it was strong as hell, and would churp the tires all the way to 4th. I recently added an o/r x pipe and 4.10 gears, and they said they had to write me a brand new tune. Well, the tune is crap. My car is delaying shifts. As I run thru the gears, it litterally sounds like a manual. I went to the track, and in the adjustable option I changed the shift press. from 0 to 20%, and changed the mph to -3 between shifts. It seems like this helped, but now the car is shifting really early, and still doing the same thing. I called Saturday and talked to the guy that hooked me up with the tune, and he was going to have something ready for me Monday. Monday rolled around and I called and talked to someone else who also said they would get me a tune that same day, and today no later than lunch. Well, here it is lunch time and still nothing so I called again, and talked to another person, and he told me it would typically take 3 business days for them to get the new tune, he also explained that basically they were going to change the shift speed and pressure (what I did with the handheld,that didnt fix it) and get it back to me within 3 days.

Needless to say, I'm frustrated because I went to the pony wars, and my times ranged from 11.90s to 12.70s depending on how long it took it to shift. It also seems to be running lean, which may be because I also got screwed by the exhaust shop and have a leak at the manifold to o/r pipe gasket.

Who do you guys recommend? I won the 12 second bracket with this tune, so steeda give me a certificate for 150 bucks, which would equal out to be a free tune from steeda. Is the steeda tunes any better? If Bama can get my tune back to me today, and its fixed like it was with the shifts, then I'll stick with them, but if not, I'm going to try the Steeda tune.

if you can adjust the shift pressures you are doing the strategy tune. the strategy tune does not have the tweaks that bama makes. id be patient and see what they send ya if it isnt to your liking. then do some datalogs and talk to another tuner. everyone recommends shaun at aed and I will comment how awesome his customer service is.
I have had nothing but the same customer service from bama and others have some spectacular results with their tunes. I have their tunes and my car runs like a raped ape.

Stang Lover

Established Member
You should save yourself the trouble and just get it dyno tuned.

This.

I would not put a bama tune on my car unless I just couldn't afford a good tune at the time. Even though i've never ran it on my stangs but the people I know that tried it disliked it and turned to a different tuner and were very satisfied.

Last edited:

RC-5.0

Established Member
I can help...Steeda actually used MY exact car to develop their '11 Auto Tune.. I had a free custom session for 4 hours on the Dyno in Jan of 2011 in exchange for them "testing" my car to dial in the tune. I loved the tune back then, but I do not have it now since I got the KenB Lund tune with the SC. You will definitely like their tune.
RC

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
I wished I could afford a dyno tune right now, or Shaun at AED based on his reputation. Bama sent me a new tune today, and its doing the same damn thing. Instead of writing a new tune I believe they just made adjustments to my current tune, which didn't fix it. It does seem like it made it so its not near as bad, but its still doing it. Just not as bad.

Used to shift thru the gears like you notice the 1-2 shift, but now 2-3 and 3-4 sounds like a manual. check it out.

[video=youtube_share;Z_ncAOI3I_U]http://youtu.be/Z_ncAOI3I_U[/video]

Last edited:

RC-5.0

Established Member
Your tire pressure is low and you're going to run out of gas in 2 miles!

You will be fine with Steeda
RC

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
If you notice, it seems like my car is just hitting the rev limiter before allowing it to shift. Idk? It seems like if they missed it the first time, surely they wouldn't have missed something that simple the 2nd time?

dead man walkin

Established Member
I had bama went to steeda and in weeks went back. Between every shift torque management felt like it killed the engine, after a week of screaming at the car to "go damn you" I went back. Data logged with bama and it runs great. Are you sure you down loaded the tune properly and are running the correct tune? It does not sound like it

5.0jake

Established Member
I wished I could afford a dyno tune right now, or Shaun at AED based on his reputation. Bama sent me a new tune today, and its doing the same damn thing. Instead of writing a new tune I believe they just made adjustments to my current tune, which didn't fix it. It does seem like it made it so its not near as bad, but its still doing it. Just not as bad.

Used to shift thru the gears like you notice the 1-2 shift, but now 2-3 and 3-4 sounds like a manual. check it out.

[video=youtube_share;Z_ncAOI3I_U]http://youtu.be/Z_ncAOI3I_U[/video]

Why not send this video to AM so they can clearly see the weird shifting and know what to adjust?

I have experienced both the Bama 93Race and AED tunes. AED felt stronger in the mid range (3-5k rpms) but Bama felt plenty strong and ran fine for me. Bama had noticeably better low end and throttle response.
If you only have a couple bolt ons (cai, gears) I don't think the switch to AED is worth it from a performance standpoint, but maybe worth it for the extra piece of mind. AED Shaun himself has said that AM has good tuners.
Both have great customer service.

Badlilstang

Established Member
I used Mike Rousch for my A6 tune and it's amazing. He tweaked it exactly how I wanted it. Customer service was top notch also.

I am starting to notice a trend of guys having issues that have 4.10 gears with the Auto. I thought the auto ran better with the 3.15 or 3.31?

Last edited:

Jday14

Established Member
Op I know you said you spoke with several different representatives but do you think it would help to datalog the tune so they could see exactly what's going on with the tune.

5.0jake

Established Member
It never hurts to datalog; however, I don't think data-logging would help in this case as this seems to be a transmission calibration issue.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Okay, I searched google and have found other guys with the same problem from bama. One of the threads was actually on this page, and his fix was switching to another tuner and it fixed it.

I did data logging last night, and sent the data log along with this video to bama, and they emailed me a new tune today, and guess what? SAME F^%#% G4D D@5^ THING! Im fed up with this! The thread I found on this site with the guy having the same problems said that bama sent him over 5 files and all of which were doing the same thing. Today was my 3rd file from bama.

I'm sure I'm loading the tune correctly. I'm not sure how to delete old tunes, because I deleted all the file boxes and just uploaded the new tune and it still shows 2 of the old tunes on the handheld, but I can clearly see by the name of the file that I'm uploading the new one.

I called steeda, and they said their tuner was out of town, and it would be next tuesday before he starts back tuning, and it would probably be after that before I could get a tune from them. GEEEEEZZZZ

Mike Rousch

Established Member
Okay, I searched google and have found other guys with the same problem from bama. One of the threads was actually on this page, and his fix was switching to another tuner and it fixed it.

I did data logging last night, and sent the data log along with this video to bama, and they emailed me a new tune today, and guess what? SAME F^%#% G4D D@5^ THING! Im fed up with this! The thread I found on this site with the guy having the same problems said that bama sent him over 5 files and all of which were doing the same thing. Today was my 3rd file from bama.

I'm sure I'm loading the tune correctly. I'm not sure how to delete old tunes, because I deleted all the file boxes and just uploaded the new tune and it still shows 2 of the old tunes on the handheld, but I can clearly see by the name of the file that I'm uploading the new one.

I called steeda, and they said their tuner was out of town, and it would be next tuesday before he starts back tuning, and it would probably be after that before I could get a tune from them. GEEEEEZZZZ

If your in a time crunch i can help you out with it.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member

Op, make sure that you return to stock, then upload new tune. Not doing this may cause you to end up with a hybrid tune.

Users who are viewing this thread