Has anyone used studs for intake manifold?

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just curious to see if anyone has ever used studs, particularly towards the back? Just seems like it would be a lot easier to fasten down the intake manifold to the heads and to line up the intake gaskets.

Here's a pic of where I'm talking about.

B2DA8C0E-5721-4FBD-90FE-052465946DC7.jpeg
7BC110BF-7351-4713-9678-876B82DEB928.jpeg

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yeah I thought about throwing one M6 all-thread back there. Once I set the blower/intake manifold on I can just fasten that tough to get location down with a nut. Seems like it'd be a lot easier than trying to fish a bolt down there blind and hoping the gasket isn't in the way.

01yellercobra

Established Member
But on the flip side, if you get two of the bolts towards the front in then the gasket will be lined up. Plus the gasket should have the tabs that hold it to the head.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Same here. Should work great and locate the manifold/gaskets properly.
But on the flip side, if you get two of the bolts towards the front in then the gasket will be lined up. Plus the gasket should have the tabs that hold it to the head.
I would agree that the stud substitution at the rear should work, Bob's suggestion to get the two bolts towards the front started and then the gasket should line up at the rear makes the most sense. And it doesn't involve any potential testing, to ensure it works 100%. JMO.

hatchke

Established Member
Seems like that would make life really easy with intake/gasket alignment. That was one of the harder parts of my whole 2.9 install honestly. Had some problems getting them to seat correctly.

DCguy

Established Member
Your intake manifold should have a guide dowel in the two larger holes (one front and one rear). This is what keeps the gasket in place and helps locate the blower when dropping it down. Studs would also work if you found the right size/length.

03mach1torch

Established Member
It’s funny to see this. I ported my heads on my 3.4 Whipple swap on my Mach 1. Had intake gasket alignment issues with the fel pro gaskets and had to buy ford gaskets. Dorman makes a stud so you don’t need all thread and it makes lining up the intake/blower combo easier too plus it kept my gaskets lined up properly so I don’t have vacuum leak issues anymore

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
It’s funny to see this. I ported my heads on my 3.4 Whipple swap on my Mach 1. Had intake gasket alignment issues with the fel pro gaskets and had to buy ford gaskets. Dorman makes a stud so you don’t need all thread and it makes lining up the intake/blower combo easier too plus it kept my gaskets lined up properly so I don’t have vacuum leak issues anymore
Whoa nice, out of curiosity do you have that Dorman part number?

Bullitt1448

Established Member
No reason a stud wouldn’t work, the intake is not going to care if that is a stud and nut holding it or a bolt. Once it’s torqued down it make zero difference

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Truth be told and I may get flamed for this lol, I ended up removing all those dime sized limiting washers. It made installing all the bolts a breeze. The intake gaskets have tiny dowels on the ends that set it in the correct place, as long as you're careful dropping the blower in those gaskets shouldn't move. I used a smoke machine to check for leaks and the only leak was the 150MM Whipple throttle body (that's why I use the 132MM now).

Users who are viewing this thread